Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

Hoffmaestro

Hoffmaestro
  • 3 posts

Run this command:

xperf -on latency -stackwalk profile -buffersize 1024 -MaxFile 256 -FileMode Circular && timeout 30 && xperf -d DPC_Interrupt.etl

to capture 30s. If you still get the warning, increase the value after buffersize.

The pictures tell you have ACPI.sys issue . What is the temperature of your Intel® Core™ i5-2430M CPU?

When I boot my comp and I don't have the high CPU usage issue It's around 40 when idle.

Right now when It's supposed to be idle but CPU 0 is at 90% It's at 70 degrees, but thats just because I'm keeping my room like a fridge atm. Otherwise it can go up to 90c.

http://www.mediafire...jzzr62p4be76a5f

Here is my zipped DPC_Interrupt.etl.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

you have a temperature issue. The CPU seams to throttle to prevent overheating. Set the cooler policy to active (power options), clean the CPU cooler and install the latest BIOS/UEFI.
Posted Image

Hoffmaestro

Hoffmaestro
  • 3 posts

you have a temperature issue. The CPU seams to throttle to prevent overheating. Set the cooler policy to active (power options), clean the CPU cooler and install the latest BIOS/UEFI.

To me it seems more like overheating is the symptom, not the cause.

Since it can stay perfectly cool(around 35-40c) idle for hours, and return to normal temperatures after gaming.

This overheating only occurs when the CPU gets stuck at 90% load which doesn't always happen after I play games.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

The throttling only starts when the temperature is too high. Use the gadget from OpenHardware Monitor and monitor the CPU temperature:

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Posted Image
Posted Image

Kabiaru

Kabiaru
  • 7 posts
HI, Am an averge computer "geek". My laptop a Dell Vostro 3550 started freezing some weeks back. I tried to follow the instructions given on this forum/topic but after download of symbols i seem to get lost on what to next. Am using WPA ver 6.2.92 to do the analysis and it does not seem to have the same settings as the one used on this forum. Can anyone help! It has taken me five minutes to do this small write up due to the freezing......

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

zip the file to reduce the size and upload it to your dropbox or SkyDrive account and post a link here.
Posted Image

Kabiaru

Kabiaru
  • 7 posts
Thanks Magic Andre. The link to the skydrive is Skydrive

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

The ip Helper service seems to cause it:

Attached File  CPU_usage_IP_helper.png   90.71KB   8 downloads

If you don't need IPv6 over IPv4, stop the service.
Posted Image

Kabiaru

Kabiaru
  • 7 posts
I have disabled IPv6 on the wireless network connection using network sharing menus and also through regedit using instructions given on this site Disable IPv6 for Win 7 as i didnt know how uninstall it. However the problem still persists :wacko:

However i have realised that the freezing occurs only when connected to our office wireless network!! If am not connected or if connect using any other wireless network (hotspots for instance), or through my phone the laptop works just fine. Our office connections to the server is through wireless infrastructure and no other computer is experiencing this problem...
I have downloaded to skydrive an updated WPR file as still cant figure out how to use it :blushing: Skydrive 2

p.s. i had to disconnect the wireless to enable me zip file fast enough..

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

Have you stopped the IP Helper Service?

This time you have DPC issues cause by the wireless network driver (athrx.sys). Update this driver.
Posted Image

Kabiaru

Kabiaru
  • 7 posts
Thanks Andre for prompt analysis and response. I cant seem to be able to get an updated driver anywhere.

Currently the (Dell Wireless Adapter 1702.802.11b/g/n) is on version 9.2.0.412 of 21/04/2011. Using update driver am informed its the latest though seen somewhere on the net (Pitstop)that there is a new version 9.2.0.496 of 21/03/2012???

Please help..By the way IP Help Service is disabled.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

athrx.sys = Atheros. So get a driver here:

http://www.atheros.cz/

Look with a hardware diag tool like HWiNFO (http://www.hwinfo.com/) to see which chip the card uses.
Posted Image

Kabiaru

Kabiaru
  • 7 posts
Hi..Sorry but am at end wits!!
I have down loaded the "latest" driver software for the device but even through manual (i.e. control panel>device manager>properties>update driver software>browse my computer for updated drivers) still returns the message that windows has determined that the driver software is up to date!

The current version is 9.2.0.412 whileas the latest driver per Atheros website is 10.0.0.221 for PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_002B&SUBSYS_0205168C Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter device. downloaded from Atheros..Of course i had unzipped the files first.

What can i do next???

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

don't let Windows search for the drivers. select the driver yourself:

http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Kabiaru

Kabiaru
  • 7 posts
Sorry Andre, but that is exactly what i had been doing to avail!

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
@Kabiaru, If at all possible, please post a video screen capture showing exactly what you are doing. I'm sure that Andre will be able to spot what you are doing wrong.

Cheers and Regards

Posted Image

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

Select "let me pick" and select the driver.

If this also fails, run psr.exe (Problem Step Recorder) and record all steps you do and upload the generated file.
Posted Image

Kabiaru

Kabiaru
  • 7 posts
Hi Andre, I decided to force an "update" actually by "changing" the device and choose the option to allow me pick the device drivers manually (of course not recommended). I installed the Atheros's AR9285 drivers which the effect of removing the device "Dell Wireless 1702.811b/n/g. I now have Atheros AR9285 Wireless Adapter which has been working fine since! No Freeze ups so far and performance has been good!

Thanks a lot for your patience and diligence. I hope it will continue working fine.
:thumbup

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

Thanks a lot for your patience and diligence
:thumbup

You're welcome :)
Posted Image

akent830

akent830
  • 6 posts
Hello,

After reading these forums and other sites, this seems to be the place to go.

Andre, the necessary files are in the following locations, I PM'd you the password for the .7z files.

http://www14.zippysh...58653/file.html

The 7z files are password protected, if you would also like to take a look at them, please PM me and I will be more than happy to give you the password.

Thanks,

Austin

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

ok, traces 33CPU3GigMem.etl, ExplorerHighCPU1 and Explorer High CPU 2.etl show a high CPU usage and here the Explorer is using the windows Search and this causes the high CPU usage. Your HDD is also busy so I assume you search for the MP3 files on drive E:

Is this correct?
Posted Image

akent830

akent830
  • 6 posts
My RAID is being rebuilt during some of those captures, so the majority of HDD usage is due to that. I am not searching for anything in particular and have Windows Search disabled to prevent indexing.

I will say, at one point while I was using Procexp, I noticed mp3 files would show up in the handles section and then disappear. I am no longer noticing that and cannot pinpoint what is doing the seeking.

Austin

akent830

akent830
  • 6 posts
UPDATE: I removed the Windows Search feature from Add/Remove and will update you as to whether or not I am still seeing the issue with Explorer CPU and memory usage.

Austin

akent830

akent830
  • 6 posts
UPDATE 2: After a while of Explorer.exe not eating CPU and Memory after MS Search was uninstalled, everything continued to perform as normal. I re-installed search, along with setting everything back to default (Using RegKey SetupCompletedSucessfully), Explorer.exe started to act up again, this is with indexing disabled, so I am still quite confused. You have successfully narrowed it down to the search module, just not sure what is causing that to go wild with memory and CPU.

Any suggestions? Also, should I move this to another thread?

Austin

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,025 posts

Donator

make a new trace. I personally don't use the the Windows search. I only use 3rd party tools.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN