Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
205 replies to this topic

SZ87

SZ87
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 31-March 15

Honestly, I'd rather learn it myself. It seems that xperfview was replaced with WPA. Certainly WPA, being xperfview's successor, should have no problems following this guide? I followed the guide fine up until that point in my first post.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,151 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

it is the successor, but a complete new tool.

Copy the attached file to the same folder where the latency.etl is stored and make a double click on it (remove the .txt extension first so that is shows .wpa as extension). It opens the required graphs for normal cpu usage and DPC usage. Load the symbols and expand the stack. This looks similar to the old UI.

Attached Files

Posted Image

SZ87

SZ87
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 31-March 15

I PM'd you the file. After using the file you posted, I could see that it (probably) has something to do with WAV files.

2VI2L5U.png

This makes sense because I had recently force-cancelled a MOVE operation for some WAV files. It's been doing this ever since.

Edited by SZ87, 01 April 2015 - 12:44 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,151 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

yeah. The important things are the 2 lines thumbcache.dll!CThumbnailProviderWrapper::GetThumbnail and shell32.dll!CPropertyThumbnailHandler::_GetThumbnailInternal. So the issues comes from generating thumbnails. Turn this off in the Explorer options and let Windows always show only the file icons

Posted Image

SZ87

SZ87
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 31-March 15

Thanks. Is there any way to fix it? I've ran sfc /scannow which came back with 0 issues. chkdsk passed. I don't know what to do. Turning them off is just covering it up, really. I'd like to be able to see thumbnails again.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,151 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

there is no other workaround.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users