Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The File-Checker (HFSLIPFC) for HFSLIP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1613 replies to this topic

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

Looks like I fixed this error and it had nothing to do with the OS that it ran under. In the copy process from the old OS to Windows 7 somehow a folder was created named \HFSLIPFC.TMP under my main \HFSLIP structure. I have no idea now that got there but I do know that's suppose to be a file and not a folder so I deleted it and re-ran hfslipfc.cmd and it ran perfectly. Have a few updates to address. Attached the log file from that run. You can probably repeat the error I got by creating the \HFSLIPFC.TMP folder.

Thx for the info!!! Posted Image The next release is fixed!

@Lilla
Wow! Many tries regarding the printer-issue. I will put this info to the list/fc.

But I will test also something. I'm nearly sure that my currently runnging windows using all of these printer-updates. I also have installed NET 3 and I just looked for the inspalled printers: XPS is availiable! But I'm just nearly sure - not 100%. More after testing... Posted Image

--edit--

@Lilla
Regarding your Screenshots which are showing the "hotfix": also others are showing the "hotfix"-text, even the installer for the Windows-Installer 4.5. I think, the "hotfix"-text in the setup-window of an update is not really relevant.

So far, I use this info for the definition of "hotfix":
KB824684: Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates

At the moment I'm thinking about using hints (in the list and the fc).
Or removing these updates from the list.
Hmmm...

Also thx for reporting typos in the list :)

Edited by Mim0, 07 April 2010 - 04:04 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Lilla

Lilla

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 11-May 05

@Lilla
Regarding your Screenshots which are showing the "hotfix": also others are showing the "hotfix"-text, even the installer for the Windows-Installer 4.5. I think, the "hotfix"-text in the setup-window of an update is not really relevant.

So far, I use this info for the definition of "hotfix":
KB824684: Description of the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft software updates

I agree - the "hotfix"-text in the setup-window of an update is not really relevant. And I agree with your decision to not change these three printer updates from Optional to Hotfix.

At the moment I'm thinking about using hints (in the list and the fc).
Or removing these updates from the list.
Hmmm...

If you decide to keep them in the list then I offer this idea for your consideration.

Change the hint for each of these three printer updates to something like this...
(when .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is also being integrated into HFSLIP)

Note. Your current hint says .NET Framework 3.51 SP1, but is it really 3.51?)
Note. Your current hint is different for KB971276 than it is for the other two, but I think it should be the same.

The above wording would advise most people to exclude these updates.

However, consider this: Two of these three printer updates are mentioned on the Silent .NET Maker synthesized 20100118 - W2K/XP/2K3 x86 (compatible with HFSLIP) website. If they are being integrated there (I haven't yet taken the time to determine if they are or not), then they do not need to be integrated here. Right?

When one uses .NET Maker's result with HFSLIP how does it work? Does HFSLIP integrate .NET with windows, or does HFSLIP simply install .NET after it installs Windows? If, as I suspect, it does the later then I think that including these three printer updates in HFSLIP would likely result in blocking the installation of 'Micosoft XPS Document Writer' the same as I experience (FYI, I don't include .NET in my HFSLIP build). In other words, including .NET in your HFSLIP build does not necessarily mean you should include these three printer updates in your HFSLIP build.

Tommyp's comments here seem to support removing these updates. Removing them makes sense to me.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla, 07 April 2010 - 06:43 PM.

Lilla

Lilla

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 11-May 05
Mimo,

It seems to me that 1.7.10 beta H no longer extracts...
o wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe to HF\WMP11 and
o directx_feb2010_redist.exe to HFCABS

At least the extracted files are not present on my PC (as they used to be) when HFSLIP is done.

Thus, I'm wondering are the hints below still needed for 1.7.9 (final)?
Otherwise, perhaps they can be removed now...

WMP11: Windows Media Player 11
When getting “Can not copy…” during the install text-mode copy part
(possible on some OSs and some languages),
extract the WMP11 installer to HF\WMP11 before running HFSLIP.

DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtimes Feb 2010 (9.28.1886).
When you extract it manually to HFCABS, use all files
MonthYear_*_x86.cab, except for *mdx*

Just a thought,
Lilla

Edited by Lilla, 07 April 2010 - 08:38 PM.

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

Change the hint for each of these three printer updates to something like this...
(when .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is also being integrated into HFSLIP)

Note. Your current hint says .NET Framework 3.51 SP1, but is it really 3.51?)
Note. Your current hint is different for KB971276 than it is for the other two, but I think it should be the same.

The above wording would advise most people to exclude these updates.

At least I should use these hint for all of them. Of course it should be 3.5 - not 3.51 Posted Image

However, consider this: Two of these three printer updates are mentioned on the Silent .NET Maker synthesized 20100118 - W2K/XP/2K3 x86 (compatible with HFSLIP) website. If they are being integrated there (I haven't yet taken the time to determine if they are or not), then they do not need to be integrated here. Right?

Tommyp's comments here seem to support removing these updates. Removing them makes sense to me.

Hmm... yes... I'll think about it Posted Image

At least the extracted files are not present on my PC (as they used to be) when HFSLIP is done.

I compared beta g with beta h and I found no differences regarding this bevahior. My understanding always was that HFSLIP removes the extracted files (from hfslip extracted) and leaves the manually extracted file as they are.

Edited by Mim0, 07 April 2010 - 11:09 PM.

Lilla

Lilla

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 11-May 05

I compared beta g with beta h and I found no differences regarding this bevahior. My understanding always was that HFSLIP removes the extracted files (from hfslip extracted) and leaves the manually extracted file as they are.

Hummm, apparently then I saw these leftover files when a process got interrupted and then when I didn't see them again I drew a wrong conclusion. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Lilla

Edited by Lilla, 08 April 2010 - 12:18 PM.

jvidal

jvidal

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05
Mimo, new updates released. new version needed!

bye!

Muppet Hunter

Muppet Hunter

XP Hotfix List Maintainer

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 18-March 05

Of course it should be 3.5 - not 3.51 Posted Image

You must have been thinking of Windows NT 3.51 ;)

ZEUS__

ZEUS__

• PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 03-January 08
we waiting for new version @Mim0 :)
don't forget us :rolleyes:
Champion

Posted Image

jvidal

jvidal

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05
yep, Mimo, r u still alive?

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08
Yes, I'm still alive. Coming back from holiday yesterday I'm now best motivated to make a new version of the file-checker... :)

Edited by Mim0, 19 April 2010 - 02:27 AM.

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
  • Joined 06-January 06
great to see you're back Mim0! you deserved the break. :)
cheers!
Posted Image

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08
2010-04-19

- Added: KB978601 + KB979309 (MS10-019: Windows)

- Added: KB980232 (MS10-020: SMB Client, replaces MS10-006)

- Added: KB979683 (MS10-021: Windows Kernel, replaces MS10-015)

- Added: KB981350 + KB981332 (MS10-022: VBScript Scripting Engine)

- Added: KB976323 (MS10-024: SMTP Service)

- Added: KB977816 (MS10-026: MPEG Layer-3 Codecs)

- Added: KB979402 (MS10-027: Media Player 9)

- Added: KB978338 (MS10-029: ISATAP Component)

- Added: Malicious Software Removal Tool 3.6

- Removed: KB978251 (MS10-006: SMB Client)

- Removed: KB977165 (MS10-015: Kernel)

- Removed: Malicious Software Removal Tool 3.5

- Removed: KB971276, KB971314 and KB961118 (regarding XPS-printer)

- Fixed: Deleting the possible temp. folder from a previous interrupted run

jvidal

jvidal

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05
thx for the update, Mimo!
BTW, what's the deal with 976323? MU is not asking for it...

Edited by jvidal, 20 April 2010 - 02:00 PM.

SkyKiDS

SkyKiDS

• 27 posts
  • Joined 15-February 09
Is it correct?

Added: KB978207 (MS10-002: Internet Explorer)
Removed: KB980182 (MS10-018: Internet Explorer)

I think it should be like this.

AddedRemoved: KB978207 (MS10-002: Internet Explorer)
RemovedAdded: KB980182 (MS10-018: Internet Explorer)

or KB978207 is replaced by KB980182.

If not, why?

Anyway, there are some differences between versions of different languages, and also some installed packages.
I don't have KB980232 (MS10-020: SMB Client) issue in Korean version, and KB976323 (MS10-024: SMTP Service) issue that it looks because I don't use that service or package.

I am glad to use your File-checker. Thank you so much! :)

Edited by SkyKiDS, 20 April 2010 - 08:46 PM.

Mine: http://www.skykids.kr/ (Under construction)
Microsoft Products(Windows XP, Office 2003, 2007) and HFSLIP Information site for Korean: http://www.csmine.com/ (half completed)

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

...I think it should be like this.

[indent=1]AddedRemoved: KB978207 (MS10-002: Internet Explorer)
RemovedAdded: KB980182 (MS10-018: Internet Explorer)...

Of course, you're right. It's just an issue in the changelog of the update-list. The content of the list is OK, the file-checker is also OK.

Anyway, there are some differences between versions of different languages, and also some installed packages.
I don't have KB980232 (MS10-020: SMB Client) issue in Korean version, and KB976323 (MS10-024: SMTP Service) issue that it looks because I don't use that service or package.

I think I don't understand that...

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

thx for the update, Mimo!
BTW, what's the deal with 976323? MU is not asking for it...

If MU don't offer 976323 then you don't have the SMTP-service installed. But anyway, it's good the have the fixed Smtpsvc.dll on you're installation-CD.

Hopefully there is not the same problem that was in hfslip before beta D with the ftpsvc2.dll (see here) :)

SkyKiDS

SkyKiDS

• 27 posts
  • Joined 15-February 09

I think I don't understand that...

I am sorry that I am not good at English and I made a mistake.

It means the HFSLIP users do not need to slipstream all of the update packages and some packages are only required for some languages or for some applications in Windows.
I made a mistake that I had missed a critical update KB980232 (MS10-020: SMB Client), so I thought some critical updates is required for some languages. That's not true. I am sure the critical updates is shown for all languages of Windows.

Have a nice day! :)

Mine: http://www.skykids.kr/ (Under construction)
Microsoft Products(Windows XP, Office 2003, 2007) and HFSLIP Information site for Korean: http://www.csmine.com/ (half completed)

ZEUS__

ZEUS__

• PipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Joined 03-January 08
so thanks @Mim0.. :thumbup I had found nearly 40-50 obsolete updates(about ~100mb) in my HF folder when I did use your checker for the first time.. now I use it every month:)
Champion

Posted Image

jvidal

jvidal

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05
No known issues w/ KB976323? no probs in slipstreaming it?
Is it safe to put in HF? (unlike 977377, which causes more problems than it solves)

bfc_xxx

bfc_xxx

• PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 17-May 04
I have in HF folder IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ELL but hfslip says that also WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ELL is missing. Is this normal? I think it should be the one or the other.

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

I have in HF folder IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ELL but hfslip says that also WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ELL is missing. Is this normal? I think it should be the one or the other.

It's a correct behavior :)

When using IE8, then IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ELL is mandatory (Sec-Upd) and WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ELL is optional to fix an error described here, and this is my solutionfor this fix.

bfc_xxx

bfc_xxx

• PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Joined 17-May 04

It's a correct behavior :)

When using IE8, then IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ELL is mandatory (Sec-Upd) and WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ELL is optional to fix an error described here, and this is my solutionfor this fix.

Thank you for the usefull information.
I have one more question. I use the useless kb976002-v5 to keep the WU happy but at first logon there is the popup for choosing the web browser we want to use. Is there any registry key to skip that??

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

I have one more question. I use the useless kb976002-v5 to keep the WU happy but at first logon there is the popup for choosing the web browser we want to use. Is there any registry key to skip that??

Sure. Here it's explained and here you find two reg-files to show or hide this window.

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08
XP-Update-List
2010-04-29
- Added: KB981669 (Fix for MSI 4.5)
- Removed: KB958655 (Fix for MSI 4.5)

File-checker
2010-04-29
- Removed: Support for old (obsolete) INI-Settings from the 
         beginning of the File-checker.
- New:   File-checker splitted into two files:
         - FC (main): hfslipfc.cmd
           (containing the functionality)
         - FC-extension: hfslipfc-xp.cmd
           (containing the data, default-values and update-lists)
- New:   Extension-support as base for support of other OS's
- New:   OS-detection (XP and 2K)

jvidal

jvidal

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05
Mimo, there's s/thing wrong with the latest hfslipc, it's complaining that all my MU/WU cabs are "wrong". I don't understand the messages (see below)
I have both MU and WU selected in hfslipc.ini, they shouldn't be flagged as "wrong".

wrong (O): HF\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe (Window Update Agent 7.4.7600.226, it's for WU)
wrong (O): HF\WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-ESN.exe (Permanent copy of Package Installer, it's for WU)
wrong (O): HFCABS\LegitCheckControl.cab (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation, it's for WU)
wrong (O): HFCABS\MUAuth.cab (Microsoft Update Engine, it's for MU)
wrong (O): HFCABS\MuCatalogWebControl.cab (Microsoft Update Engine, it's for MU)
wrong (O): HFCABS\muweb_site.cab (Microsoft Update Engine, it's for MU)

Why are they "wrong"??. for example "(Microsoft Update Engine, it's for MU)". what does that mean???. Of course it's for MU, I know that, that's why I included it in hfcabs. Those messages mean nothing. Please use something clearer...

bye!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users