Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XPinstall Reference Thread

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
919 replies to this topic

Trip-

Trip-

• 27 posts
  • Joined 25-January 04
I'm still using XPInstall 1.1

am I lagging behind?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

I'm still using XPInstall 1.1

am I lagging behind?

Quite.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

-= MD =-

-= MD =-

• 35 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
I'm using 2.0 :)
Could someone tell me what XPlode is?

XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

MSFN SuperB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,070 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
new name predicted for xpinstall :)
wraith says its going to be a new and very nice update :rolleyes:

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Here's a current preview.

Plans/Changes/Additions/etc.:

%XPINSTALL% changed to %XPLODE%
Possible support for including XML files from others.
Possible conditional statements (not entirely sure I want to put them in yet, might be too buggy)
Window drawing will be managed from the config - you want an image or box in a certain spot, it'll draw it. (Normal head/main/foot etc. will not apply any more)
All commands will be now incorporated into DLL plugins.
XPlode Plugin SDK (heh) will be released alongside v1.00.

Miscellanous fixes from the current XPinstall should also be included. Will see when release comes.

------------

Don't you people think this XML format is a bit better?

<item display='Copying Post-Installation Files'>
 	 <filecopy file='#SOURCEPATH#\PostInstall\NETFramework\dotnetfx.exe' target='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\TestLocation\test.exe' />
 	 <filemove file='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\TestLocation\test.exe' target='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\TestLocation\dotnetfx.exe' />
 	 <filedelete file='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\TestLocation\dotnetfx.exe' />
 	 <dircopy directory='#SOURCEPATH#\PostInstall' target='#SYSTEMDRIVE#' />
 	 <dirmove directory='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\PostInstall' target='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\temp' />
 	 <dirdelete directory='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\temp' />
 	 <dirdelete directory='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\TestLocation' />
  </item>
  <item display='Adding users...'>
 	 <adduser display='Adding Picard' user='Picard' pass='engage' group='Administrators' fulldisplay='Jean luc Picard' comment='Captain.' />
  </item>
  <item display='.NET Framework 1.1'>
 	 <execute display='Installing .NET Framework 1.1...' program='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\PostInstall\NETFramework\DOTNETFX.exe' arguments='/Q:A /R:N' />
  </item>

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

hevnbnd

hevnbnd

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 06-September 03
@wraith Why is it everytime that xpinstall finishes running in a windows enviroment a stop error stating:

XPinstall has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvenience. Send or dont send blah blah

The xpinstall runs fine however when it ends it creates this error. Any ideas.. Attached is a copy of my xpinstall.xml

Attached Files

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

@wraith  Why is it everytime that xpinstall finishes running in a windows enviroment a stop error stating:

XPinstall has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for this inconvenience.  Send or dont send blah blah

The xpinstall runs fine however when it ends it creates this error. Any ideas..  Attached is a copy of my xpinstall.xml

Well, you seem to be the only one getting those errors, so I can't say why.

Hopefully things like that will be nonexistent with XPlode - taking measures to guard against errors and whatnot. Will see when the time comes though.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

shiversc

shiversc

• 22 posts
  • Joined 10-August 03
hello,
how can i move the setup-gui in the left corner?
thanx

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

hello,
how can i move the setup-gui in the left corner?
thanx

By reading the documentation included with the program.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Okay, for any developers wishing to do plugins.... I've attached the current plugin basecode....

If anyone can think of any other things that would be useful to add, tell me.
This code may not be the final, but I'm fairly happy with it now.

Code attached.

Attached Files

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

tinnef

tinnef

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined 19-October 03

@wraith  Why is it everytime that xpinstall finishes running in a windows enviroment a stop error stating:

XPinstall has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for this inconvenience.  Send or dont send blah blah

The xpinstall runs fine however when it ends it creates this error. Any ideas..  Attached is a copy of my xpinstall.xml

Well, you seem to be the only one getting those errors, so I can't say why.

Hopefully things like that will be nonexistent with XPlode - taking measures to guard against errors and whatnot. Will see when the time comes though.

I get them as well when I set the Windowmode to GUIinstall (or whatever) it doesn't happen when using Standalone.
Since I always use Standalone, XPinstall seems to run properly anyways and only displays the error on exit, it never bothered me.

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
Suggestion on the SDK, perhaps include a sample one for like execute or something, and maybe a tad bit more documentation.

And how would we define actions? all i see is writing to a log and registering the command, actually specifying what the command does.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04

Suggestion on the SDK, perhaps include a sample one for like execute or something, and maybe a tad bit more documentation.

And how would we define actions? all i see is writing to a log and registering the command, actually specifying what the command does.

I was planning on making all the current plugins as sourcecode downloads.

Just the core I'd keep to myself.

What do you mean 'define'? Like adding the actual action to the plugin? (Moving this file to tehre etc.?)

That'll be put in the RunCommand() function. You people will see when I release 1.00 and the plugin sources.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
any idea when 1.0 will be ready? eh eh? Can't wait :)
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

hevnbnd

hevnbnd

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 06-September 03
@Alanoll Thanks for the last creat user command worked like a charm. However the only thing not working now is it AutoLogon. Here is what it all looks like... A piece of my winnt.sif:

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=*
EncryptedAdminPassword=no
TimeZone="020"
AdminPassword=*
OEMSkipRegional=1
OEMSkipWelcome=1

A copy of my xpinstall.xml

<item name='Creating Users'>
<file name='Creating Shop' command='execute' program='net' arguments='user Shop /add' hide='true'></file>
<file name='Configuring Shop' command='execute' program='net' arguments='localgroup Administrators Shop /add' hide='true'></file>
<file name="Configuring autologon" command="execute" program='#SYSTEMDRIVE#\install\xpinstall\autologon.cmd' arguments='"Shop" ""' />
</item>

My autologon.cmd is the same as it was when i got it from you. And lastly a bit of my xpinstall.log

Parsing execute command
{
Name = "Configuring autologon"
Program = "C:\install\xpinstall\autologon.cmd"
Arguments = ""Shop" """
Hide = "false"
}

Execution thread
{
Running: "net user Shop /add"
{
Execution succeeded
}
Running: "net localgroup Administrators Shop /add"
{
Execution succeeded
}
Running: "C:\install\xpinstall\autologon.cmd "Shop" """
{
Execution succeeded

I think the problem is in the autologon.cmd. I am not sure it works with the xml above it but that is just a guess. Any help would be greatly appritiated. Thanks B

hevnbnd

hevnbnd

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 06-September 03
EDITED Got it working. Thanks Allanoll

hevnbnd

hevnbnd

• PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Joined 06-September 03
Wraith i just about got everything working perfectly Dand a week later...

But i have one issue i think you can probally help with. I have xpinstall running using a runonce entry in the registry. It is excuted on the second boot into windows. My question is; is there a way to make xpinstall run once windows gets to the desktop. Currently it runs xpinstall when it says loading user settings or something like that. I would like for it to run once the desktop loads. IS this making sense?? Please let me know. Thanks

PS Great app and the main reason i am needing xpinstall to run once windows loads is because the network is not connected before then. So it wont install my apps. However if i boot into windows and double click xpinstall it installs my apps just fine. Thanks for your help. B

drscouse

drscouse

• PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04
I use a prog that creates a batch file on the first logon, and puts it into the startup folder, then when the pc reboots for the second time, it launches the batch file. Maybe this is the way to go??

It is part of a batch file that is run from guirunonce, and it creates another batch file in the startup folder, then places the commands in this batch file, so the next time the pc reboots, the file is executed.... you could also then add a line at the end to delete the file also!!! Im not hot with syntax, and writing batch files, but I could try to pick out the bits you need...???

Something like this...

ECHO @ECHO OFF > "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\XPInstall.bat"
ECHO ECHO c:\XPInstall Dir\XPInstall.exe>> "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\XPInstall.bat"
ECHO DEL /Q "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cleanup.bat">> "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\XPInstall.bat"

Think this may work... stick it in the file that is run from guirunonce, you will need to change the XPInstall Dir

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
hvnbond, drscouse has a good idea, you could put that batch file you use to import the RunOncEX key in the startup folder, and then at the end of the batch file this
rundll32.exe iernonce.dll,RunOnceExProcess

that will cause RunOnceEX to run at the time the keys are imported which should be after logon.

Wraith

Wraith

Dr. Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
There's always the option of me adding a command that creates a shortcut. Make it put itself in the startup directory and BOOM. Should work.

I think.

Then you just filedelete it out of there.

Hmmm. I think I will make a shortcut command. Probably would be useful.

XPlode ETA: 24-48 hours. Or something.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users