Run WPI with admin-rights (UAC)

Some days ago I started WPI from my pen-drive to install some apps for my parents - unfortunately they have Windows Vista with the UAC-Problem.

So before each application a window poped up and asked for the rights...

Now I created a vb-script and modified my run_wpi.cmd to run wpi with admin-rights (so hopefully the uac-dialog will only be shown at the start of wpi).

Because I'm working with XP I could try the skripts only on my machine and on a virtual Windows 7 machine.

On XP the script will start normally and on windows 7 the uac-dialog is shown at startup.

Maybe someone can test it on vista.

Simply put the script in the same folder where you've extracted WPI - your structure should look like this:

- WPI
- Themes
- Tools
- run_wpi.cmd
- sudo.vbs

Of course you can also edit the variables in run_wpi.cmd.

Hint: If you path to wpi.hta is WPI\wpi.hta you have to change the following line in run_wpi.cmd:

SET WPI_HTA=Common\wpi.hta

to

SET WPI_HTA=wpi.hta

Al

scripts.zip

Edited by AlBundy33

Some days ago I started WPI from my pen-drive to install some apps for my parents - unfortunately they have Windows Vista with the UAC-Problem.

So before each application a window poped up and asked for the rights...

Yes, this is a known issue, and while you have one sollution that will work, another (maybe more simple?) is to use the Autorun Executable as found on the Files Page

Just right click and say "Run as Administrator", and since it is elevated BEFORE it runs WPIW, you only have to accept it once. then WPIW (and all the scripts it runs) are autmatically elevated (as in your solution)...

Never hurts to have more than one way to solve an issue B)