error after restoring image

Well, the next question is, are we restoring to the exact same disk that we captured from, on the same machine? If so, that wouldn't make sense. I don't doubt it can happen, but it doesn't make much sense.

I have been reading and reading. The answer was in this thread: run bcdboot.exe c:\windows

I thought this would only be nessecairy when you had 2 partitions, but i have done this after applying the image and then boot thru winpe, go to the command prompt and give the command:

bcdboot.exe c:\windows

Then restart and the system gives me 2 times WINDOWS 7. I chose the first one and he is starting now. I don't no where the second item comes from maybe it must not be: bcdboot.exe c:\windows but d:\windows?, that would be strange because there is only 1 partition. Hell it is strange that bcdboot is nessecairy because what has changes since i made the backup: nothing!

Also, as I noted before, it is recommended you sysprep your Windows 7 image before capture. Did you sysprep the image first?

No i did not sysprepped it, because this is the master pc. First i install and configure everything then image the pc. The second step is to sysprep the machine en then make again the image to deploy. When there are much changes for the image i restore the first made image do the changes and make a new image of it. Then sysprep it again en make again the deploy image.

I do not know how to do the changes in the image, i cannot work with MDT2010 for the applications to configure.

I have read that another problem with Windows 7 is the default user profile. Much things must be configured for a new user.

Only if the defaults aren't valid.

And, may I ask, why you are unable to use MDT? Maybe we can help, as that's a much better approach than hoping to image and re-image a machine without sysprep with Vista or Win7. It was easier with XP, because it was an OS based on the NT 3.1 setup engine. Vista and Win7 being images themselves, restoring them can be a pain, and that's something MDT tries to alleviate.

But what is it with the bcdboot?

I thought: after restoring run bcdboot and then image it again, cleaning the disk and restoring. Then Windows should start. But to my suprise also then Windows is giving the Windows boot manager error at startup. Again bcdboot must rus.... Why is this and how to get around this?

Only if the defaults aren't valid.

And, may I ask, why you are unable to use MDT? Maybe we can help, as that's a much better approach than hoping to image and re-image a machine without sysprep with Vista or Win7. It was easier with XP, because it was an OS based on the NT 3.1 setup engine. Vista and Win7 being images themselves, restoring them can be a pain, and that's something MDT tries to alleviate.

Because MDT2010 is new to me and i have not figured it out yet, and becasue i also use unsysprepped images now. Unsysprepped images must be done without MDT2010.

When you deploy, you should create a system partition like I said. Then create a second partition that takes up the rest of the drive. Put Windows 7 on the second partition. Don't put anything on the system partition. Diskpart script example:

sel disk 0
clean
create part pri size=500
sel part 1
active
format fs=ntfs label="System" quick
create part pri
sel part 2
format fs=ntfs label="LocalDisk" quick
assign letter=c
exit

Then this is the imagex command example:

imagex /apply z:\7PRO32\w7oobe.wim 1 c:
bcdboot.exe c:\windows

I would have been great if this worked but the imagex /apply command with the: bcdboot at the end (i also tried c:\windows\system32\bcdboot) doesn't work for me. He doesn't recognize this?

It is working now.

When i looked in c:\boot with bcdedit, the c partition was not known. How this can is a riddle to me but thanks to someone i had to to some bcedit commands and now it works.

Now i am imaging this system to see if i can restore it or that i must do the commands again....