error after restoring image

Win7 installed. In Diskmgmt he shows 2 partitions. One is 100 mb reserved, active and primairy. The second is the rest of the size where Windows is installed.

So when i have this right Windows boots from partition 2? Then when i make a image of it and restore that image i must make 2 partitions and make the second one active? Can someone tell me how to do this.

I see it, above example is making partition 2 as the Windows partition. Gonna try this now.

Now i am finally getting to the point that imaging is goiing to work..? but now the imagex /acapture is failing. That is: it seems that imagex /capture is capturing the drive and says that he is succesfully finished but in reality he has not much done. It is to fast ready. I have read on the internet that he standard captures the first partition so this is proberly the system partition from 100 mb?

How can i get around this problem? I must capture the Windows partition not the small system partition?

The small partition is where Win stores its boot files and is hidden unless you assign a drive letter, better left hidden so viruses can' see either. That partition is important and should not be deleted or you won't boot. Unless you extend out like I said above.

You have to capture both parts.

I don't do it that way so perhaps someone else who uses PE can help you.

The small partition is where Win stores its boot files and is hidden unless you assign a drive letter, better left hidden so viruses can' see either. That partition is important and should not be deleted or you won't boot. Unless you extend out like I said above.

You have to capture both parts.

I don't do it that way so perhaps someone else who uses PE can help you.

Then i have to restore both parts also?

The posting where there are two disks was indeed the USB drive because there is where i boot Winpe from with the unsysprepped images.

But I do believe that Win7 is booting from partition 2 because restoring with diskpart running and create one partition doesn't work. So i must indeed make 2 partitions.

When i delete all partitions with diskpart and install Win7 (proberly Win7 won't allow me to do this without the system parttition) on 1 partition and then image and go on with diskpart creating one partition and then restoring Win7, could that work?

Ah you guys are getting carried away here! If you want to capture the image off the drive, you only capture the second partition, NOT the System Reserved. Then on the new disk, you create a 100MB system reserved partition but do not assign it a drive letter. Make it the same size of 100MB. Then create a second partition that takes up the rest of the drive, assign it the C letter. Apply your OS image onto the C drive.

The scripts I posted are for deploying the OS partition. Notice it doesn't do anything to the System Reserved partition except for creating it. When you first boot into the OS, Sysprep puts the correct files into the System Reserved partition. So... um make sure you sysprep you image before capturing it! Either /oobe or /audit should be fine.

You're going to be missing the bootloader in that scenario. If you allow Windows 7 to create the 100MB partition during initial install, you're going to have to capture it. Hence if this is going to be a machine that's to be used as a master technician pc image, you should manually partition disks and install Win7 onto one singular partition to be safe and to have this work without using sysprep.

Ah you guys are getting carried away here! If you want to capture the image off the drive, you only capture the second partition, NOT the System Reserved. Then on the new disk, you create a 100MB system reserved partition but do not assign it a drive letter. Make it the same size of 100MB. Then create a second partition that takes up the rest of the drive, assign it the C letter. Apply your OS image onto the C drive.

The scripts I posted are for deploying the OS partition. Notice it doesn't do anything to the System Reserved partition except for creating it. When you first boot into the OS, Sysprep puts the correct files into the System Reserved partition. So... um make sure you sysprep you image before capturing it! Either /oobe or /audit should be fine.

I have tried this but assigning a driveletter to the other partition is goiing wrong, this is what i do:

Diskpart

select disk 0

clean

create part pri size=200

sel part 1

active

format fs=ntfs quick

create part pri

sel part 2

format fs=ntfs quick

assign letter=c

After this last command an error occured: not empty, see the even log for details..

But i really would like to use 1 partition, only the Win7 installation partition. There are people who using only 1 partition with Win 7 installed so it must be possible.

What scripts are you reffering about?

You're going to be missing the bootloader in that scenario. If you allow Windows 7 to create the 100MB partition during initial install, you're going to have to capture it. Hence if this is going to be a machine that's to be used as a master technician pc image, you should manually partition disks and install Win7 onto one singular partition to be safe and to have this work without using sysprep.

So it is not really nessecairy to install the system partition? If i boot with the Win 7 dvd and remove all partition making 1 new one he makes 2 partition all by himself... However when i not make a new partition and go on with the installation he seems not to make a system partition. I haven't tested this yet because my Dell crashes, so monday i am gonna test that and try it with only one partition if Win7 lets me...

For a master image, what I would suggest is this:

1. Boot the Win7 installation media on the template PC (or virtual machine)
  2. Use the disk management in the installer itself to delete ALL partitions
  3. Create a new partition and format it NTFS, again using the disk management tool of the Win7 installer
  4. Select that partition to install Windows 7 into; Windows 7 will install to this partition
  5. Configure Win7 after installation
  6. Once finished configuring, shut down the PC and take an image

This will result in your image having ONE partition, and not the second 100MB partition for EFI and bitlocker. Since you don't actually necessarily need this unless you're going to be booting EFI machines (bitlocker will create it's own partition for conversion when it's first run to bitlocker a drive, so this is only a convenience for speed in that case), you can create an image without it.

3. Create a new partition and format it NTFS, again using the disk management tool of the Win7 installer
  4. Select that partition to install Windows 7 into; Windows 7 will install to this partition

This will result in your image having ONE partition, and not the second 100MB partition for EFI and bitlocker. Since you don't actually necessarily need this unless you're going to be booting EFI machines (bitlocker will create it's own partition for conversion when it's first run to bitlocker a drive, so this is only a convenience for speed in that case), you can create an image without it.

This is not the case, i have tried this. When you make a new partition with the Win7 installer, he says that he will make a extra partition. This partition is becomming 100 mb and there is nothing i can do about it!

So now am gonna try gparted. And then making no partitions with the win7 installer but making them all with Gparted and then install Win7 on the partition that i want it. I must try this..

This is not the case, i have tried this. When you make a new partition with the Win7 installer, he says that he will make a extra partition. This partition is becomming 100 mb and there is nothing i can do about it!

So now am gonna try gparted. And then making no partitions with the win7 installer but making them all with Gparted and then install Win7 on the partition that i want it. I must try this..

Not true it is you that is doing it wrong you can delete extra partition and expand other, so you only have one.

Not true it is you that is doing it wrong you can delete extra partition and expand other, so you only have one.

Can you tell me how then?

I have tried what you say above, but when i delete all partitions and make 1 new partition, Windows makes a second partition and i cannot delete that second partition anymore.

Can you tell me how then?

I have tried what you say above, but when i delete all partitions and make 1 new partition, Windows makes a second partition and i cannot delete that second partition anymore.

When you get to the create partitions screen.

Delete ALL

Create a partition using all the space and allow it to make the small one. Now delete the large partition.

Extend the small out to end

I keep running into troubles with imaging Windows 7. It is alle the same problem but now i have managed that Win7 is installed on a disk with 1 partition. So there are no 2 partitions anymore.

The problem now is when i make the image and wnat to restore it with imagex then after a reboot he still gives me a Windows startup boot error status: 0xc000000e. According to google this is a bcd boot error. But this was the problem with 2 parttition created i only have one partition so what could Windows 7 have for problems now with booting?

Before restoring i do a diskpart which makes the first (and only) partition activ and so boot to that partition...

Well, the next question is, are we restoring to the exact same disk that we captured from, on the same machine? If so, that wouldn't make sense. I don't doubt it can happen, but it doesn't make much sense.