FDV fileset for XP

fdv

It doesn't matter, but the fix was so easy I just did it the old way, which was to do it as I did for Windows 2000. In that method of course no DLLs are used.

New revision coming probably tonight.

Right click > Properties on the Win32 directory says "243mb." And that's -with- Active Directory and non-English keyboard layouts, which will later be moved to INTL.INF.

OOBE is still in because it's got networking dependencies. Which I completely understand, but it would be nice to make it truly optional. I will at some point later. I was also thinking of making the MS Management Console (MMC) optional too, but it might not really save much space.

I got this when replying:

"Your secure key, used to verify you are posting the topic, did not match the one submitted. Please go back, reload the form, and try again."

I -was- logged in. What the heck?

Updated.

If anyone has additional ideas for stuff to remove, let me know. I'm interested especially in unique stuff, not necessarily stuff that nLite removes.

This fileset needs testing so comments are welcome...

Well, I know I made a few posts in the Win7 forum but I don't think I'm headed in that direction.

I'm poor and can't really afford M$ prices and hardware too.

So in a sense I'll be 'going home' as for years I used to have had to know Unix until I started up with

the Atari ST and early Macs. I'm going Linux for all my online stuff in a month or so and maybe more

as I already use Firefox,Thunderbird and OpenOffice etc.

However, I'll still need 2000/XP to keep my Home Theatre PCs running as the MDP-130 Linux project has stalled.

So I'm still interested in making reduced footprint versions of XP and 2000, if only to speed up reboots after

a power interruption and XP does have better slumber routines than 2000. In which case I want to turn 2000

and/or XP Home into embedded OSs just to serve the needs of PVR software and DVD playback(& get rid of that danged

DVD player in 2000). I delete it, WFP re-installs it after a reboot, it interferes with seamless operation of the prefered

DVD playback, making me hit the 'no' button in the dialogue that pops up. XP seems to figure it out and stops after the first

instance.

2000 is alright for the most part on its own but I'd like to rip out certain parts of XP, to keep it from phoning home on Sundays

when I adjust the clocks to the NIST servers. As an embedded OS, after slapping in SP3, it doesn't really need to call home as its'

only being used off line without a modem connection. Another irritant with XP are the balloons that pop up if you have no AV

installed, not necessary in a machine off-lined 24/7...apart from the one minute to set the clock. In this case the hotfixes are no

longer that critical. OTOH, in your thread starter I'd like to keep themes, though I only use one now to set my preferred colours

and I like my pointers[cursors] red rather than white, which for this 2000 workstation I found out the Plus! pack works from

W'98, sort of, just to set the colours, then I do the icons and and sound events manually.

I guess maybe nLite may be better for me now, though I'd still like to rip out IE in both.

Whaddya think?

Edited by Browncoat

Updated.

If anyone has additional ideas for stuff to remove, let me know. I'm interested especially in unique stuff, not necessarily stuff that nLite removes.

This fileset needs testing so comments are welcome...

Does your fileset remove the HTML-dependant User Accounts applet and replace it with the still-present-in-XP "classic" User Accounts applet? Not a big thing, but hey.

Does your fileset remove the HTML-dependant User Accounts applet and replace it with the still-present-in-XP "classic" User Accounts applet? Not a big thing, but hey.

Seconded. Lack of Fisher-Price icons is nice, but far more annoying, for me, are all the various training wheels that are turned on by default and which I have to switch off every time I reinstall.

Ambassador: User accounts applet: I'm actually not too sure what you mean. I remove the control panel account wizard; the only one left that's usable is the one that's like the Win2000 one. Describe to me how you open the classic one so I can be sure.

glaurung, let me know if there are more in my fileset to be dealt with and I'll see what I can do to make things normal. Offhand I don't know of much I have left in of the "wizard" crap.

Browncoat, my fileset takes care of all of that stuff you mention (I also keep themes, but everything defaults to classic, that's all). I am working eventually toward a Car-MP3 fileset with nearly nothing in it, just leaving the ability to run media player software. I'm not there yet of course, but it will be worked on. For now, I agree, nLite will probably fit your needs better. My fileset isn't as flexible, but it does yield a consistent result without loading the old session every time, modifying your source, and it puts dozens of popular tweaks right into the HIVE files including fixed timezones right off the bat, and lots of other little things that make it easy for the do-it-yourselfer to get in and see what's going on.

Ambassador: User accounts applet: I'm actually not too sure what you mean. I remove the control panel account wizard; the only one left that's usable is the one that's like the Win2000 one. Describe to me how you open the classic one so I can be sure.

Try either:

rundll32 netplwiz.dll,UsersRunDll

or:

control userpasswords2

in Run.

The default XP (HTML-dependent) one would be "userpasswords".

ok now that I know what you mean. The file is MSHTA.DLL dependent. I do put that with IE.INF but by default my XP fileset actually leaves IE -in- (see the line in SYSSETUP.INF). If you copy that over to '32, expand it and register it (if it even needs registering -- probably it does) will that, alone, allow this userpasswords applet to work? I wonder. I'll test it when I'm at my VM on Tuesday.

2000 is alright for the most part on its own but I'd like to rip out certain parts of XP, to keep it from phoning home on Sundays

when I adjust the clocks to the NIST servers.

You can solve that problem by dual-booting with Win98, Win2K, or Linux. Boot into one of those to adjust the clock and you can keep Windows XP offline all the time.

Phil

Browncoat, my fileset takes care of all of that stuff you mention (I also keep themes, but everything defaults to classic, that's all). I am working eventually toward a Car-MP3 fileset with nearly nothing in it, just leaving the ability to run media player software. I'm not there yet of course, but it will be worked on. For now, I agree, nLite will probably fit your needs better. My fileset isn't as flexible, but it does yield a consistent result without loading the old session every time, modifying your source, and it puts dozens of popular tweaks right into the HIVE files including fixed timezones right off the bat, and lots of other little things that make it easy for the do-it-yourselfer to get in and see what's going on.

You can solve that problem by dual-booting with Win98, Win2K, or Linux. Boot into one of those to adjust the clock and you can keep Windows XP offline all the time.

Phil

Thanks, both of you for your tips and FDV for all your hard work, apologies for being such a noob.

I've stored your responses for further reference to avoid repeats.

ok now that I know what you mean. The file is MSHTA.DLL dependent. I do put that with IE.INF but by default my XP fileset actually leaves IE -in- (see the line in SYSSETUP.INF). If you copy that over to '32, expand it and register it (if it even needs registering -- probably it does) will that, alone, allow this userpasswords applet to work? I wonder. I'll test it when I'm at my VM on Tuesday.

Actually, I was hoping that the default userpasswords would be removed by the fileset. The old 2000-style one is much more efficient and faster.

Edited by Ambassador

Fileset 3 up. The changes are not big, just numerous. Mostly to registry edits. A new custom keyboard for US users has been added (see the JPG for new characters). Right now I am testing with US keyboard and fonts only. I will componentize non-US shortly. I did this to isolate non-US for testing -- that's the only reason.

This needs rigorous testing. It has already been tested with Office 2007 fully.

Ambassador, your request has been implemented: userpasswords gone, userpa sswords2 now in place.

Known problems after I tested this:

my webcam didn't install (only the microphone worked) -- probably a missing video codec

Adobe CS4 full suite installation halted with an error -- not sure of the cause yet

Edited by fdv

3a, bunch of bugfixes, adobe cs4 works now. non-US languages restored (to use, delete MY intl.inf file)

have yet to test with camera.

no one testing? someone give it a shot. be sure to read the readme file.

3a, bunch of bugfixes, adobe cs4 works now. non-US languages restored (to use, delete MY intl.inf file)

have yet to test with camera.

no one testing? someone give it a shot. be sure to read the readme file.

Gave it a shot...

BSOD on installing Avira Personal 9.

As soon as installer tries to start avguard -> crash!

When running 'XP-fdv" in VM (VirtualBox), Avira runs fine.

Requests:

- Could you swap all references to 'C:\Windows' with '%Systemroot%' in your Fileset (like in file deldirs.cmd), cause I'm using different Pathname.

- Is it Possible to delete entries in registry from services which have been removed?

Fred, thanks again for all your Magic..hope you can solve the issues I had...

grt. Chefken.