FDV fileset for XP

fdv

In order to prevent future confusion here I "fixed" this by removing the extra driver calls.

In other words, re-download the fileset.

Remember, if you want to get rid of IE in the XP set, you must comment the IE.INF line out in the SYSSETUP file.

• 3 weeks later...

nice! i was truly dreading the move to XP but this just made it a lot easier. thank you, thank you, thank you!

since i barely have a clue about what i'm doing here i kept things simple at first by just deleting your intl file before running hfslip along with the more important looking hotfixes and sp3. old T30 thinkpad is much quicker now than with a freshly loaded win2k, hebrew works just fine as does all the other crap i've installed. nod32 refused to update at first but installing the latest version fixed that. system32 folder is around 550MB, don't know how you got it down to 270 unless the language files really do take up that much space? boot time does seem excessive for xp but not really a bother. hibernation works like a dream compared to win2k even though i couldn't find it at first....after i finally got around to installing the graphics driver it was right there where it was supposed to be.

so then i got all brave and commented out the ie.inf line in syssetup. install goes fine but the desktop just never comes up. bringing up the task manager i can pretty much get to anywhere i want but explorer.exe refuses to run. what did i screw up here?

nice! i was truly dreading the move to XP but this just made it a lot easier.

No one seems to know moteq. ;) So I'll suggest doing a manual integration of SP3 before running HFSLIP. With 2k and SP4 I got irreproducable (those are the worst!) errors before I did that. Also HFSLIP will have much less to do and run faster.

what did i screw up here?

Sorry moteq, I just now noticed this post!!

I can't say for certain. My IE.INF is a ground-up rewrite and I must have accidentally put in a vital DLL that shouldn't be removed. This is something that I am constantly updating so eventually it will be fixed ... sorry I can't say better than that! ;)

BTW, it was -Server 2003- that I got down to 270, not XP

Edited by fdv

The only file missing is mofcomp.exe (or so). The serial has to be filled in and I think it's the audio codecs and/or drivers that take a long time to install. (after a while there's a message that they did'nt pass M$ labs -> 'continue anyway') But then I got a nice empty desktop.

Screensaver works alright ;)

I only have the ASMS and System32 subdirs of i386 i'll add. I will now try the ';KLM' bit on this same set (although the result may be difficult to check with xp like this).

Edited by Brabant

• 3 months later...

nice to see that this fileset is still being updated despite the end of support for hfslip. as brabant suggested, running from an sp3 source seems to have resulted in a lighter install and boot times are now actually quick. with the new fileset i now get a working system without any IE but there still seem to be some issues with some of the apps i use, mainly firefox starts dropping icons and images after running for a while. leaving the IE core in place results in a nice solid system though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Having used fdvfiles for W2k, I wanted to do the trick with XP too.

Trying it, my already great respect for FDV, Tommy, and you guys, increased by the hour.

I just can't get it right, so it seems.

I just hope one of you will take the trouble to read this and give me a hint.. :blink:

Excuse me if these are stupid questions (I'm not a system programmer myself). :(

Question 1

Is the latest fdvfiles-xp (from July 17, 2010) usable with XP-Home or is it for XP-Pro only?

When I put the contents of the XP-Home OEM CD in SOURCE folder and create a CD, the installer produces 50 messages about

"unable to copy file"

These files are not on the original XP-Home CD.

All but the last one is mentioned in textsetup.sif

These are the filenames:

admtoolw.chm
appmgmts.dll
appmgr.dll
asr_fmt.exe
asr_ldm.exe
asr_pfu.exe
bootcfg.exe
cipher.exe
cmdlib.wsc
compatws.inf
drvqry.exe
dwup.inf
efsadu.dll
evcreate.exe
evtrig.exe
fde.dll
fdeploy.dll
getmac.exe
gpedit.dll
gpedit.msc
gprslt.exe
gptext.dll
gpupdate.exe
irbus.inf
login.cmd
lsans.ttf
lsansd.ttf
lsansdi.ttf
lsansi.ttf
ntdsbcli.dll
opnfiles.exe
relog.exe
rootsec.inf
rsfsaps.dll
scriptpw.dll
sctasks.exe
secpol.msc
securedc.inf
securews.inf
smlgcfgw.chm
tabletoc.dll
termcap
typeperf.exe
vbicodec.ax
wmiscmgr.dll
wsecedit.dll
wstpager.ax
wstrendr.ax

xpsp3res.dll

Question 2

Is the following expected behavior?

• When I skip these files at copy, the install continues.
  • But after the restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, when installing devices, the program mentions dozens of HFSLIPnnn.INF files missing.
  • After another restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, the desktop remains black with only the version information in the bottom right corner.

Question 3

When I try to login as Administrator, I get the message I can't be registered, due to some account limitation.

That happens when I use fdvfiles-xp on a XP-Pro source as well!

Question 4

Should some filenames be changed for XP-sources with other languages?

The file TEXTSETUP.SIF mentions - among others - the following files

• msr2cenu.dll
  • wmerrenu.cat
  • wmerrenu.dll

With an XP-Pro-NL Source, this leads to errors: missing wmerrenu.dll etc.

Could these be the corrected filenames?

• msr2cNLD.dll
  • wmerrNLD.cat
  • wmerrNLD.dll

Question 5

With XP-Pro source, fdvfiles-xp, IE8, WMP11 DX9, MDAC2.8, I get the following problem after restart:

unable to find module iedkcs32.dll

Anybody has an idea what I should do?

Question 6

On this very useful (thanks a lot) website: mimo some links are still pointing to the non-existent hfslip.org site. Can anybody help me find the following files mentioned in "Extra's"?

Create the HFCLEANUP folder inside the HFSLIP folder. Then download the cleanup package(s) you want:

• General cleanup set for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003
  • Extra add-on for Windows 2000
  • Dialup Reducer
  • MS Office Reducer
  • Network Driver Reducer

Extract the content of the package(s) into the HFCLEANUP folder.

Thanks for your time and answer, if possible..

Eveline

(edit: question 6 added)

Edited by ebernard

• 2 weeks later...

Question 6

On this very useful (thanks a lot) website: mimo some links are still pointing to the non-existent hfslip.org site. Can anybody help me find the following files mentioned in "Extra's"?

Create the HFCLEANUP folder inside the HFSLIP folder. Then download the cleanup package(s) you want:

• General cleanup set for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003
  • Extra add-on for Windows 2000
  • Dialup Reducer
  • MS Office Reducer
  • Network Driver Reducer

Extract the content of the package(s) into the HFCLEANUP folder.

Thanks for your time and answer, if possible..

Eveline

(edit: question 6 added)

hi, if i'm not totally wrong i should still have those files (somewhere).. sorry, i'm very short these days, but i will try to come back to you within the next days..

• 2 weeks later...

Good work keepin' the dream alive boys! (& possibly girls :P)

Going back to Windows 2000 for the first time in a number of years for some testing.. Where the latest FDV lovin' for Windows 2000..? Or is it really that far gone now? Dead and buried!?! NO don't say it!

Edited by kalo

Hi all, Hi Kalo!

The 2000 fileset is where it's been. Since no new hotfixes came out -- it's done -- and since I no longer use the OS, I don't anticipate any more changes to the fileset. I encourage individual tweaking but alas I don't have the time to really answer questions (in any detailed way, that is).

• 4 weeks later...

Question 1

Is the latest fdvfiles-xp (from July 17, 2010) usable with XP-Home or is it for XP-Pro only?

When I put the contents of the XP-Home OEM CD in SOURCE folder and create a CD, the installer produces 50 messages about

"unable to copy file"

These files are not on the original XP-Home CD.

All but the last one is mentioned in textsetup.sif

These are the filenames:

admtoolw.chm
appmgmts.dll
appmgr.dll
asr_fmt.exe
asr_ldm.exe
asr_pfu.exe
bootcfg.exe
cipher.exe
cmdlib.wsc
compatws.inf
drvqry.exe
dwup.inf
efsadu.dll
evcreate.exe
evtrig.exe
fde.dll
fdeploy.dll
getmac.exe
gpedit.dll
gpedit.msc
gprslt.exe
gptext.dll
gpupdate.exe
irbus.inf
login.cmd
lsans.ttf
lsansd.ttf
lsansdi.ttf
lsansi.ttf
ntdsbcli.dll
opnfiles.exe
relog.exe
rootsec.inf
rsfsaps.dll
scriptpw.dll
sctasks.exe
secpol.msc
securedc.inf
securews.inf
smlgcfgw.chm
tabletoc.dll
termcap
typeperf.exe
vbicodec.ax
wmiscmgr.dll
wsecedit.dll
wstpager.ax
wstrendr.ax

xpsp3res.dll

Question 2

• When I skip these files at copy, the install continues.
  • But after the restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, when installing devices, the program mentions dozens of HFSLIPnnn.INF files missing.
  • After another restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, the desktop remains black with only the version information in the bottom right corner.

I'm having the same exact problems. I have WinXP SP2.