Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

FDV fileset for XP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04

Ambassador, your request has been implemented: userpasswords gone, userpa sswords2 now in place.

What file in this fileset controls its removal?

open TXTSETUP and uncomment
nusrmgr.cpl = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

mshta.exe dependent, so you must have that installed too

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Ambassador

Ambassador

• PipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Joined 03-October 06

Ambassador, your request has been implemented: userpasswords gone, userpa sswords2 now in place.

What file in this fileset controls its removal?

open TXTSETUP and uncomment
nusrmgr.cpl = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

mshta.exe dependent, so you must have that installed too

I wasn't going to uncomment it. I just wanted to know so I could remove the HTML Users applet from another computer on which I can't put a fileset installation. ;)

Edited by Ambassador, 17 March 2010 - 01:02 PM.

PMikeP

PMikeP

• 19 posts
  • Joined 06-February 09

Updated.
If anyone has additional ideas for stuff to remove, let me know.

Hi Fred:

I haven't started testing your XP FDV yet... it may be moot for me, per a question to follow on using nLite to integrate fussy nvidia AHCI SATA drivers.

In the meantime, if you haven't removed all this stuff already, below is a list of core items I cut out from XP using nLite. After months of trial and error testing beforehand, I've been successfully running this trimmed nLite XP for a year. (XP Home Upgrade.) I'm not as much of a power user as you are - I run your FDV W2K in Vbox for internet. In XP I run Magix Movie Edit Pro Plus 15, Corel PaintShop Pro X, WP Office 12, Dragon Natural Speaking standard. (Makes me wonder about SAPI removal if ever I upgrade to their speech to text version.)

Nothing exotic. Some of the programs installed a higher version of C++ Visual Runtimes. I don't use NETFramework. (I run nLite and stuff on another instance when I need NETFrame.) I use K-lite for what little video stuff I need on my host XP. No Flash. I don't use wireless, as you can see.

So FWIW, here are the items that can be removed in XP, if you haven't done it already. (The only "problem" I've noticed so far is that the Human Interface Device service isn't startable. Some dll's had to be hand copied into System32 to make that work. Don't know if that's a Nuhi problem or if I did when I set a custom program folder in the unattended install page.)

Mike <><

;# Network #
Communication tools
Comtrol Test Terminal Program
Connection Manager
FrontPage Extensions
H323 MSP
Internet Connection Wizard
Internet Information Services (IIS)
IP Conferencing
MAC Bridge
MSMail and MAPI
MSN Explorer
Netmeeting
NetShell Cmd-Tool
Network Diagnostic
Network Setup Wizard
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Protocol
Peer-to-Peer
Share Creation Wizard
Synchronization Manager
TAPI Application Support
TCP/IP Version 6
Vector Graphics Rendering (VML)
Web Folders
Windows Messenger

;# Operating System Options #
Blaster/Nachi removal tool
Disk and Profile Quota
Document Templates
DR Watson
Extensible Storage Engine (Esent97)
FAT to NTFS converter
Help and Support
IExpress Wizard
Manual Install and Upgrade
MS Agent
MS XML 2.0
Private Character Editor
Remote Installation Services (RIS)
Search Assistant
Security Center
Shell Media Handler
Symbolic Debugger (NTSD)
Tour
User account pictures
Visual Basic 5 runtime
Web View

;# Services #
Alerter
Application Layer Gateway
DHCP Client
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Fax Service
Indexing Service
Internet Authentication (IAS)
IPSEC Policy Agent
Kerberos Key Distribution Center
Messenger
Network DDE
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Performance Logs and Alerts
QoS RSVP
Quality of Service (QoS)
Remote Registry
Removable Storage
Route Listening Service
RPC Locator
Secondary Logon
Service Advertising Protocol
Simple TCP/IP Services
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Text Services Framework
Uninterruptible Power Supply
WebClient
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Windows Time
Wired AutoConfig
Wireless Configuration

Edited by PMikeP, 20 March 2010 - 11:37 PM.

nh_wzg

nh_wzg

• 21 posts
  • Joined 03-June 06
After commented some iteatapi.sys,megaide.sys,... in TXT... & LAY..., the system installed and startup successfully with the last fileset for XP.

Found in CMD.EXE windows,the path is not "C:\WINDOWS..." but "%SystemRoot%..." and it make the "ping.exe, ipconfig.exe" fail to run in "c:\>".

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>set
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data
CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
COMPUTERNAME=XPROEN01-1
ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
FP_NO_HOST_CHECK=NO
HOMEDRIVE=C:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Administrator
LOGONSERVER=\\XPROEN01-1
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
OS=Windows_NT
Path=%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=15
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0207
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
PROMPT=$P$G
SystemDrive=C:
SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp
USERDOMAIN=XPROEN01-1
USERNAME=Administrator
USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
windir=C:\WINDOWS

buggyprog

buggyprog
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 20-March 10
! C:\Download\fdvfiles-xp.zip: Unexpected end of archive

chefken

chefken
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 17-October 07

BSOD on installing Avira Personal 9.
As soon as installer tries to start avguard -> crash!

Today I tried to Install new Avira Pers. v10.
On Launch error message: "Avira Personal requires at least: Windows 2000, SP4 and update RollUp 1 [errorcode 20]"
So XP is not recognized as XP... Maybe this is helpfull..
grt Chefken.

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04
PMikeP see the other topic you posted in for that list of components.

buggyprog re-download the fileset.

chefken the only time you would get this is if you also eliminated mini-filters, like if you were using TommyP's reducers as well. Avira is confirmed to work with my fileset (on the second install -- blame Avira for having crap dependencies).

nh_wzg I will check on these

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,549 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

chefken the only time you would get this is if you also eliminated mini-filters, like if you were using TommyP's reducers as well. Avira is confirmed to work with my fileset (on the second install -- blame Avira for having crap dependencies).

I had the same issue but haven't tried it with FDV's latest files. I'm sure FDV is correct here :)

Blanchard

Blanchard
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 14-March 10
I am a new guy I hope that this is the right place to post this

I have used HFSLIP & FDV fileset for Win2k : brilliant; now attemping the same with WinXP.

Problem is on installation. During Setup I get the message: "The file iteatapi.sys could not be found. Press any key to continue". Setup then stops.

I have tried disks with and without the FDV fileset. This happens with FDV fileset.

Machines: Dell Latitude laptop & desktop (not Dell)

Blanchard

Martin H

Martin H

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Joined 24-November 06
A couple of posts above yours, then nh_wzg stated:

After commented some iteatapi.sys,megaide.sys,... in TXT... & LAY..., the system installed and startup successfully with the last fileset for XP.

the "TXT & LAY" he's reffering about is: txtsetup.sif and layout.inf.

/* Moved to Linux - Thanks for a nice stay all! */
Posted Image

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04
In order to prevent future confusion here I "fixed" this by removing the extra driver calls.

In other words, re-download the fileset.

Remember, if you want to get rid of IE in the XP set, you must comment the IE.INF line out in the SYSSETUP file.

moteq

moteq
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 11-May 10
nice! i was truly dreading the move to XP but this just made it a lot easier. thank you, thank you, thank you!

since i barely have a clue about what i'm doing here i kept things simple at first by just deleting your intl file before running hfslip along with the more important looking hotfixes and sp3. old T30 thinkpad is much quicker now than with a freshly loaded win2k, hebrew works just fine as does all the other crap i've installed. nod32 refused to update at first but installing the latest version fixed that. system32 folder is around 550MB, don't know how you got it down to 270 unless the language files really do take up that much space? boot time does seem excessive for xp but not really a bother. hibernation works like a dream compared to win2k even though i couldn't find it at first....after i finally got around to installing the graphics driver it was right there where it was supposed to be.

so then i got all brave and commented out the ie.inf line in syssetup. install goes fine but the desktop just never comes up. bringing up the task manager i can pretty much get to anywhere i want but explorer.exe refuses to run. what did i screw up here?

Brabant

Brabant

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-August 08

nice! i was truly dreading the move to XP but this just made it a lot easier.

No one seems to know moteq. ;) So I'll suggest doing a manual integration of SP3 before running HFSLIP. With 2k and SP4 I got irreproducable (those are the worst!) errors before I did that. Also HFSLIP will have much less to do and run faster.

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04

what did i screw up here?

Sorry moteq, I just now noticed this post!!

I can't say for certain. My IE.INF is a ground-up rewrite and I must have accidentally put in a vital DLL that shouldn't be removed. This is something that I am constantly updating so eventually it will be fixed ... sorry I can't say better than that! ;)

BTW, it was -Server 2003- that I got down to 270, not XP

Edited by fdv, 17 May 2010 - 02:49 PM.

Brabant

Brabant

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 05-August 08
The only file missing is mofcomp.exe (or so). The serial has to be filled in and I think it's the audio codecs and/or drivers that take a long time to install. (after a while there's a message that they did'nt pass M$ labs -> 'continue anyway') But then I got a nice empty desktop.
Screensaver works alright ;)
I only have the ASMS and System32 subdirs of i386 i'll add. I will now try the ';KLM' bit on this same set (although the result may be difficult to check with xp like this).

Edited by Brabant, 15 May 2010 - 06:45 AM.

moteq

moteq
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 11-May 10
nice to see that this fileset is still being updated despite the end of support for hfslip. as brabant suggested, running from an sp3 source seems to have resulted in a lighter install and boot times are now actually quick. with the new fileset i now get a working system without any IE but there still seem to be some issues with some of the apps i use, mainly firefox starts dropping icons and images after running for a while. leaving the IE core in place results in a nice solid system though.

ebernard

ebernard

• 14 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Donator

Hi guys,

Having used fdvfiles for W2k, I wanted to do the trick with XP too.

Trying it, my already great respect for FDV, Tommy, and you guys, increased by the hour.
I just can't get it right, so it seems.

I just hope one of you will take the trouble to read this and give me a hint.. :blink:

Excuse me if these are stupid questions (I'm not a system programmer myself). :(

Question 1
Is the latest fdvfiles-xp (from July 17, 2010) usable with XP-Home or is it for XP-Pro only?
When I put the contents of the XP-Home OEM CD in SOURCE folder and create a CD, the installer produces 50 messages about
"unable to copy file"
These files are not on the original XP-Home CD.
All but the last one is mentioned in textsetup.sif
These are the filenames:
admtoolw.chmappmgmts.dllappmgr.dllasr_fmt.exeasr_ldm.exeasr_pfu.exebootcfg.execipher.execmdlib.wsccompatws.infdrvqry.exedwup.infefsadu.dllevcreate.exeevtrig.exefde.dllfdeploy.dllgetmac.exegpedit.dllgpedit.mscgprslt.exegptext.dllgpupdate.exeirbus.inflogin.cmdlsans.ttflsansd.ttflsansdi.ttflsansi.ttfntdsbcli.dllopnfiles.exerelog.exerootsec.infrsfsaps.dllscriptpw.dllsctasks.exesecpol.mscsecuredc.infsecurews.infsmlgcfgw.chmtabletoc.dlltermcaptypeperf.exevbicodec.axwmiscmgr.dllwsecedit.dllwstpager.axwstrendr.axxpsp3res.dll
Question 2
Is the following expected behavior?
  • When I skip these files at copy, the install continues.
  • But after the restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, when installing devices, the program mentions dozens of HFSLIPnnn.INF files missing.
  • After another restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, the desktop remains black with only the version information in the bottom right corner.

Question 3
When I try to login as Administrator, I get the message I can't be registered, due to some account limitation.
That happens when I use fdvfiles-xp on a XP-Pro source as well!

Question 4
Should some filenames be changed for XP-sources with other languages?
The file TEXTSETUP.SIF mentions - among others - the following files
  • msr2cenu.dll
  • wmerrenu.cat
  • wmerrenu.dll
With an XP-Pro-NL Source, this leads to errors: missing wmerrenu.dll etc.
Could these be the corrected filenames?
  • msr2cNLD.dll
  • wmerrNLD.cat
  • wmerrNLD.dll

Question 5
With XP-Pro source, fdvfiles-xp, IE8, WMP11 DX9, MDAC2.8, I get the following problem after restart:
unable to find module iedkcs32.dll
Anybody has an idea what I should do?

Question 6
On this very useful (thanks a lot) website: mimo some links are still pointing to the non-existent hfslip.org site. Can anybody help me find the following files mentioned in "Extra's"?

Create the HFCLEANUP folder inside the HFSLIP folder. Then download the cleanup package(s) you want:

• General cleanup set for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003
  • Extra add-on for Windows 2000
  • Dialup Reducer
  • MS Office Reducer
  • Network Driver Reducer
Extract the content of the package(s) into the HFCLEANUP folder.

Thanks for your time and answer, if possible..
Eveline
(edit: question 6 added)

Edited by ebernard, 23 September 2010 - 12:49 PM.

mukke

mukke

• 43 posts
  • Joined 25-January 08

Question 6
On this very useful (thanks a lot) website: mimo some links are still pointing to the non-existent hfslip.org site. Can anybody help me find the following files mentioned in "Extra's"?

Create the HFCLEANUP folder inside the HFSLIP folder. Then download the cleanup package(s) you want:

• General cleanup set for Windows 2000, XP, and 2003
  • Extra add-on for Windows 2000
  • Dialup Reducer
  • MS Office Reducer
  • Network Driver Reducer
Extract the content of the package(s) into the HFCLEANUP folder.

Thanks for your time and answer, if possible..
Eveline
(edit: question 6 added)

hi, if i'm not totally wrong i should still have those files (somewhere).. sorry, i'm very short these days, but i will try to come back to you within the next days..

ebernard

ebernard

• 14 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Donator

Thanks Mukke,
I would really appreciate it, if you could help me to these files!

Kind regards
Eveline

mukke

mukke

• 43 posts
  • Joined 25-January 08
hi Eveline,

attached archive contains the 5 cleanup packages referenced under number 7 of the advanced features. i guess you were looking for them and not for the .ext files from the extras

Attached Files

ebernard

ebernard

• 14 posts
  • Joined 30-July 06

Donator

attached archive contains the 5 cleanup packages referenced under number 7 of the advanced features

Dear Mukke,
You are fabulous!
These files are exactly what I was looking for.
MimO could not find them..

Thank you so much.
kind regards
Eveline

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

attached archive contains the 5 cleanup packages referenced under number 7 of the advanced features. i guess you were looking for them and not for the .ext files from the extras

Thx also from me! I fixed these roken links with you files... :)

kalo

kalo

• 37 posts
  • Joined 06-September 04
Good work keepin' the dream alive boys! (& possibly girls :P)

Going back to Windows 2000 for the first time in a number of years for some testing.. Where the latest FDV lovin' for Windows 2000..? Or is it really that far gone now? Dead and buried!?! NO don't say it!

Edited by kalo, 26 October 2010 - 12:21 AM.

fdv

fdv

MSFN Expert

• Developer
  • 1,109 posts
  • Joined 16-July 04
Hi all, Hi Kalo!
The 2000 fileset is where it's been. Since no new hotfixes came out -- it's done -- and since I no longer use the OS, I don't anticipate any more changes to the fileset. I encourage individual tweaking but alas I don't have the time to really answer questions (in any detailed way, that is).

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,412 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Question 1
Is the latest fdvfiles-xp (from July 17, 2010) usable with XP-Home or is it for XP-Pro only?
When I put the contents of the XP-Home OEM CD in SOURCE folder and create a CD, the installer produces 50 messages about
"unable to copy file"
These files are not on the original XP-Home CD.
All but the last one is mentioned in textsetup.sif
These are the filenames:

admtoolw.chmappmgmts.dllappmgr.dllasr_fmt.exeasr_ldm.exeasr_pfu.exebootcfg.execipher.execmdlib.wsccompatws.infdrvqry.exedwup.infefsadu.dllevcreate.exeevtrig.exefde.dllfdeploy.dllgetmac.exegpedit.dllgpedit.mscgprslt.exegptext.dllgpupdate.exeirbus.inflogin.cmdlsans.ttflsansd.ttflsansdi.ttflsansi.ttfntdsbcli.dllopnfiles.exerelog.exerootsec.infrsfsaps.dllscriptpw.dllsctasks.exesecpol.mscsecuredc.infsecurews.infsmlgcfgw.chmtabletoc.dlltermcaptypeperf.exevbicodec.axwmiscmgr.dllwsecedit.dllwstpager.axwstrendr.axxpsp3res.dll
Question 2
  • When I skip these files at copy, the install continues.
  • But after the restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, when installing devices, the program mentions dozens of HFSLIPnnn.INF files missing.
  • After another restart, and login as 'Owner' - no password, the desktop remains black with only the version information in the bottom right corner.

I'm having the same exact problems. I have WinXP SP2.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users