Can't read dvd drive in DOS mode

Fredledingue

I just can't when restarting in DOS mode. So I assume the config.sys settings are correct.

Windows loads it's own 32-bit protected mode drivers at startup (After WIN.com has loaded). If you boot into MS-DOS (At startup) or reboot into MS-DOS, those 32-bit drivers won't be loaded. You need to load the MS-DOS drivers (Not installed by default, but some OEM manufactures install them though). I think that MS-DOS drivers are real-mode 16-bit drivers (Someone correct me if I am wrong).

I think you had to hold Shift for safe mode then choose one of the options.

It's CTRL (Or F8). Hold F5 to boot directly into safe mode without displaying the boot options screen.

I tried SHSUCDX and it doesn't work neither:

Cannot find "mscd001" driver. SHSUCDX33 cannot load.

It's like DOS ignores config.sys...

If your options in config.sys and autoexec.bat are correct, your drive is installed on a IDE bus right (And not a SCSI bus)?

Also, the options are CASE SENSITIVE. MSCD001 is not the same as mscd001. Ensure that the driver name after the "/D:" switch in your config.sys is exactly the same as the device name typed after the "/D:" switch in your autoexec.bat.

So you should get something like this:

Config.sys:

DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

Or whatever driver you use.

Autoexec.bat:

LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

replace MSCDEX.EXE in the above line with SHSUCDX33.EXE if you don't use MSCDEX

Edited by sp193

When I restart in DOS mode I can't access dvd's in the dvd drive. :blink:

example:

dir g:

invalid drive specification

I ran an experiment and got the same result.

However, you do not need special software to read a DVD in DOS, everything you need is on the Windows 98 Boot Disk. I can use my Windows 98 Boot Disk, choose "Start computer with CDROM support," and whenever it loads the drivers I can read a DVD with no problems.

But I'm not sure how to get Windows to load the same things whenever you restart in DOS mode. :unsure:

jaclaz is right: DOSSTART.BAT is a way to do it. Alternatively, to be able to load a CD-ROM DOS device, from config.sys, and not get stuck with it always (you don't want to lose 32-bit access to the DVD drive by forcing Windows to always use a DOS real-mode driver, do you?), it's necessary to disable the automatic loading of Windows. If you do that (that is, set "BootGUI=0" in MSDOS.SYS), you'll now directly boot to the DOS prompt (and need to type "Win <Enter>" to get to Windows, this is really True DOS, after all). Of course, then you can use the menu facility in config.sys to create two alternate boots: one that goes to Windows (the default), and an alternative one that loads say, OAKCDROM.SYS (for an IDE ATAPI DVD Recorder) as a device and SHSUCDX.EXE from an install directive, both in config.sys (of course, there are more possible variations to this procedure than grains of sand in all beaches of the whole world...). This works, but is a lot of work. For once in a while use, a boot diskette is much easier.

But I'm not sure how to get Windows to load the same things whenever you restart in DOS mode. :unsure:
Ever heard of DOSSTART.BAT? :unsure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135174/en-us

jaclaz

Right here...

You need the drivers loaded...

Uhhhh, where did I fail to post what needs to be done??? Another alternative is to create a PIF for a specific program with specific BAT/SYS files/parameters (works the same way as DOSSTART). I built an older PC that had both Windows and DOS-mode games (for a g-son) that does just that. When the MS-DOS game completes, (with an EXIT at the end of BAT), it "automagically" restarts Windows...

C'mon, guys, nothing special here, except for using the superior SHSUCDX. Please note that there's (minor) "patching" needed to be done for SMARTDRV+mem-mgrs.

This process was extensively researched during the UBCD98SE (just mentioning it, ok?) project and it worked well. If allowed, I'll post the Autoexec.BAT and Config.SYS variations used, which will also list the other components necessary...

edit - I don't remember the module name offhand (perhaps jaclaz can find it) that will dynamically load a Config.sys-style driver during Autoexec.bat phase (useable in the DOSSTART maybe)... Also, AFAICR, it does no harm to the Windows to put the driver (oakcdrom) in the standard Config.sys and the MSCDROM(whatever) in DOSSTART. Glad to re-test all of this for you if you like, fred (got a dozen moldy-oldie pc's sitting right here! dis-as-sem-bled)...

Edited by submix8c

edit - I don't remember the module name offhand (perhaps jaclaz can find it) that will dynamically load a Config.sys-style driver during Autoexec.bat phase (useable in the DOSSTART maybe)... Also, AFAICR, it does no harm to the Windows to put the driver (oakcdrom) in the standard Config.sys and the MSCDROM(whatever) in DOSSTART. Glad to re-test all of this for you if you like, fred (got a dozen moldy-oldie pc's sitting right here! dis-as-sem-bled)...

There are several ones, Dynaload.com, ddl.com, device.com (just ggogle for them)

Devlod:

http://www.ddj.com/showArticle.jhtml?artic...;queryText=d%EF

http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/sysutil.html

but surely there are several more that I cannot recall right now.

Cannot say which one (if any) will work for MSCDEX or SHSUCDX and CD driver.

jaclaz

In addition, perhaps this will help "starting MS-DOS Mode" (see attached zipped jpeg). You'll note that starting the "MS-DOS Prompt" (DOSPRMPT.PIF) in the Start Menu/Programs is "built" the same way (a PIF!). If you were to copy it under a new name and alter it, i.e. in Advanced force to MS-DOS Mode then add BAT and SYS lines (they get "embedded"), that it will indeed completely bypass "normal" boot (please note the DEFAULTS under Advanced; look familiar?). I would recommend (again) testing DVD access with an EBD, using whatever you deem acceptable/functional, then just make a new PIF. (Note the good info in all preceding posts.) Guess that makes a "dynaload" unnecessary...

PIF_Example.zip

Now I remember where I saw one lately, there is devload.com in this USB floppy:

http://johnson.tmfc.net/dos/usbdrv.html

Here:

http://www.infradead.org/devload/

And yes, it should work allright:

http://osdir.com/ml/emulators.freedos.gene...9/msg00020.html

http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/free...t/10707321.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK, Fred, I did some testing, and here's how it's done:

=============
Preparation Steps:
=============

1) Download DEVLOD7.ZIP (from the great Jim Kyle himself!), grab just DEVLOD.COM from inside it and drop it into the C:\WINDOWS folder.
2) Go to this page at cdrom-drivers.com, scroll down, complete and send the Re-Captcha, download Oakcdrom.sys and drop it into the C:\WINDOWS folder, too.
3) Download SHCDX33F.ZIP, grab just SHCDX33F.COM from inside it and also drop it into the C:\WINDOWS folder.
4) Open notepad, copy the quoted text below to a text file, save it as DOSDVD.BAT and drop it into the C:\WINDOWS folder, too.

@ECHO OFF
C:\WINDOWS\DEVLOD C:\WINDOWS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MYDVDS
C:\WINDOWS\SHCDX33F /D:MYDVDS

==========
Normal Usage:
==========

1) Go to the Start Menu and "Restart in MS-DOS Mode"
2) As soon as you get to the prompt, type DOSDVD <Enter>
If all goes well, now both your DVD Recorders should be recognized and usable.
3) When you finish, you may simply turn off the computer with the power button, or reboot, or type EXIT <Enter> at the prompt, and this will result in a full reboot (because you've loaded resident DOS drivers, so you cannot just go back to Windows, without a full reboot). Notice that if you type EXIT <Enter> before issuing the DOSDVD <Enter>, in this case you get back to Windows without a full reboot, because no resident DOS drivers were loaded yet, so a full reboot was not needed.
4) If this procedure fails to work OK for you, my first guess is that your internal DVD-Recorders are not IDE, but SATA, and in this case, you'll have to substitute OAKCDROM.SYS for another apropriate driver (look for them at MDGx's).
I say this because you've never confirmed (nor denied) that your Recorders are in fact IDE. I'm guessing here.
5) Now, if you don't mind always having to do a full reboot on EXIT, or prefer not to have to remember running DOSDVD every time you "Restart in MS-DOS Mode", before being able to use the DVDs, then simply copy DOSDVD.BAT to DOSSTART.BAT (that also must be located in C:\WINDOWS), and the system will automagically load the DOS drivers for you, every time you "Restart in MS-DOS Mode".
N.B.: I'm also supposing that your %windir% folder is C:\WINDOWS, if this is not true, adjustments have to be made for it, too. I didn't use %windir% in the batch file, because this environment variable doesn't exist outside Windows, that is, in True DOS Mode.

HTH.

Ummm, really confused here -

Per the MS Article -

"APPLIES TO

Microsoft Windows 95

Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition"

Looked high and low on my 98SE (clean install) and it does not exist.

The following PIF's do, however, exist -

DOSPRMPT

Exit to DOS <--- this is the booger here (replaces DOSSTART?)

MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS and XMS Support

MS-DOS Mode for Games

Do another search on "*.BAT" on a Clean Install... what do you find?

We are talking 98 Second Edition, aren't we??? Just right-click on te PIF's and click "Properties"... Soooo, what am I missing? Searching on "string" "DOSSTART" on a C-drive with 98SE install yields several references, among them WIN.COM. I'm thinking that this file is more of a "carryover" from Win95 (specifically Upgrades - see SETUP.TXT, also noted in WinME)...

Anyone???

Besides, isn't it faster to just use a PIF with embedded directives? I can click on those MS-DOS games (ProgramTab w/Close On Exit -plus- Advanced w/Suggest MS-DOS Mode as necessary), play them, then when I exit the program, Windows... Restarts! :blink:

Same methodology applies... I will, however, concede that since WIN.COM has some kind of reference that it probably internally "calls" it when selecting "Shutdown/Restart MS-DOS Mode" if it exists, but why get complex?

Description of MS-DOS Mode

edit -

see dencorso confirmation post below...

whew! pick yer pizen/method is the game...

("I am not krazy, I am not krazy" :wacko: <- yeah rite!!!)

Edited by submix8c

Ther's nothing complex to it. DOSSTART.BAT only exists if you create it. That's all.

And, in fact, by my method, you don't even need it, unless you want the automagic.

Otherwise, just type DOSDVD <Enter> ant the prompt, when you get to it, and you're all set.

BTW, using Exit to DOS.PIF is yet another of the many possibilities to do it, and ought to work, as well.

Thanks a lot Dencorso!

I'll try this as soon as I find time.

My drives are IDE.

I also noticed my config.sys it's written "device=..." and not "devicehigh=..." and someone posted a command starting with "LH mscdex...". Do "devicehigh" and "LH" make any difference?

I also noticed my config.sys it's written "device=..." and not "devicehigh=..." and someone posted a command starting with "LH mscdex...". Do "devicehigh" and "LH" make any difference?

Why don't you actually READ the given link? :whistle:

Then, read also here ;):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loadhigh

jaclaz

Short answer: No.

Long answer: If you have EMM386.EXE loaded from config.sys and DOS=UMB, they may, space permitting, load things in the UMBs instead of in low memory, releasing more conventional memory to DOS applications. Most of the time you'll not notice any difference with that, unless you go out of your way looking for it. On the other hand, if you really have a line like DEVICE=EMM386.EXE ... in your machine's config.sys (give it a look), you might as well edit it to read instead REM DEVICE=EMM386.EXE ..., to test your setup without it, because, generally, Win 9x/ME is much more stable without EMM386.EXE loaded, and Windows really doesn't need EMM386.EXE at all.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: ....

Short answer: Yes. ;)

Long answer: You have 640 Kb of lower memory available. How much of it is free after booting to DOS? How much memory do you need in DOS for programs you run? Sometimes a few Kb moved to Upper Memory may make a difference, most of the time it doesn't.

@dencorso

Are you old enough to remember MEMMAKER? :unsure:

http://www.easydos.com/memmaker.html

jaclaz