standard xp boot screen on wide display

DADOZ83

Hi,

I installed Xp Pro SP3 on my netbook compaq mini 110c-1020SL, the monitor has a resolution of 1024x576 and the boot screen has an ugly aspect, this:

post-235734-1263721857_thumb.jpg

How can i hack the ntoskrnl.exe to have the correct aspect? this:

post-235734-1263721930_thumb.jpg

I know that the default one is 640x480 px, but is possible to keep the aspect ratio and modify the image with this resolution: 853x480?

Thanx!!!!

As far as I know this will not work, only 640x480 images may be used here. Maybe it is possible to change aspect by using some settings in the notebook (e.g. aspect on monitor sometimes could be changed via monitor settings, so laptop could have some hotkeys to change aspect of image when in low resolution).

• 3 months later...

As far as I know this will not work, only 640x480 images may be used here. Maybe it is possible to change aspect by using some settings in the notebook (e.g. aspect on monitor sometimes could be changed via monitor settings, so laptop could have some hotkeys to change aspect of image when in low resolution).

Sorry to bump an older topic, but for future reference, you might try, instead of trying to get a wider resolution at boot, making a narrower image. Shrink the image horizontally, then add black bars on the side to get it to 640x480.

According to an online calculator, you would need to make your boot image 640x480, shrink it to 640x360 (make sure you shrink and not crop), then add 60 pixel bars to the left and right. When the monitor stretches the image, it should look normal.

Disclaimer: I've never attempted that before.