I don't use Internet Explorer, do I still need to update it

galahs

Jaclaz,

What exactly do you want to tell me? I feel sleepy if I have to read a lot of long English posts!

What Office did you install on your computer? You think that I shouldn't use IE8 and Office 2007? Don't worry, I don't take this very seriously. Just tell me exactly and shortly what you think about the way I am using the computer. Maybe your words can help in some way. Although I am rather stubborn, I'll follow advice if I find it really good and nice!

And hopefully, Galahs allows us to talk off topic!

Edit: have to log out now.

Edited by Aloha

Jaclaz,

What exactly do you want to tell me?

Simply that everyone has to find "his own" way and use whatever he sees fit for his particular needs.

"Newer" is not ALWAYS "better", "more features" are pointless if you don't use them.

On the contrary, if you have a need for a feature that is missing in whatever you are using, and the new version has it, do upgrade. :)

I.E. I was just trying to point out that in your sentence:

I simply think IE8 is newer, more updated, so it is better than IE7.

the "so" is not an "absolute and always meaningful" logical consequence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_consequence

(the fact that it might be true in this particular case doesn't mean it is always true)

As well, most of the talks here are just personal opinions, the topic being Galahs needing or not to update an app he does not use because of the recent "insecurities" found.

I personally find unlikely that Galahs is exposed or "more" exposed because he DOES NOT USE a previus version of IE than he would be by NOT USING a more recent version, other members have a different opinion and suggest to update to IE8 anyway.

Both ideas seem like plausible :unsure:, as it seems to me there is no definite "absolutely valid" answer, and it's up to Galahs to choose what to do.

:hello:

jaclaz

Jaclaz,

I am glad you made it clear. That sentence "I simply think IE8 is newer...", I talked to Dencorso only, not to Galahs. I just suggested him to use it because I think it is more updated than IE7. And they both look nearly the same.

OK, I must agree with you on this, we only say our own opinions, let people decide what to do or use.

just to give my 2 cents, no matter what browser im using. I always make sure IE is up to date. I need to use it now and then for logmein and some specific web pages. unless you have dial up updates don't tend to take too long?

Jaclaz,

I am glad you made it clear. That sentence "I simply think IE8 is newer...", I talked to Dencorso only, not to Galahs. I just suggested him to use it because I think it is more updated than IE7. And they both look nearly the same.

OK, I must agree with you on this, we only say our own opinions, let people decide what to do or use.

Yeah IE8 is just newer, but remember people-what does IE7 have that IE8 doesn't? In the case of Windows XP vs 98 people could say 98 is faster and they don't have the money to upgrade. Well IE8 is free anyway and IS faster than IE7 so your only slowing yourself down using IE7 or IE6. For an example I was at an online access center recently and used IE7 for the first time in a while. It was slow and needed much more waiting time to get anywhere for some reason. Switched to Google Chrome...wow LOL!

Edited by Zenskas

Guest wsxedcrfv
Not everybody hates IE. I, for one, like it a lot! I use IE6 on 98SE and IE7 on XPSP3, and I'm quite satisfied. So, YMMV!

Don't you find that for the past few years, that many web pages don't render properly (or even satisfactorily) with IE6 on win-98? That's my observation. I started running FireFox on my win-98 systems a few years ago exactly for that reason.

And I don't think this entire thread has satisfactorily answered the question regarding IE integration into the "guts" of any given windows version (be it 98, XP, etc) and the vulnerabilities that flow from that integration.

(there are those that believe that IE6 was not properly "ported" to win-98. They point to unresoved dependencies in Dependency Walker as their main evidence)

Edited by wsxedcrfv

IE is not just a browser, but also the MS HTML display engine which other components makes use of e.g. Windows Help and Windows Explorer(web-folders, typing URLs into address-bar) and other apps to display HTML, so i would say that IE patches would be sencible to apply, but not that it's needed to upgrade IE if not using IE(the browser)...

Edited by Martin H

Security (secunia):

IE7, IE8, Firefox 3.5, Chrome, Opera

Looks like Opera 10 wins, but they all follow each other more or less, with IE having the most critical exploits, but not by much. The advantage to the other browsers is that they seldom go for very long with unpatched exploits. (In addition, IE 6/7/8 have hooks to the system via zones; Microsoft has never made this API data available so FF, Chrome, Opera et al are simply not exploitable the same way in the Internet Zone/Localzone area).

Upgrading IE6 to IE7 or 8:

We all know windows can be installed without IE, but there are some files that are required that have IE crap in them: SHDOCVW.DLL and BROWSEUI.DLL are two.

If Microsoft issued a hotfix or even an updated version of, say, SHELL32 or EXPLORER, would you get it? Some people would, some people wouldn't. I'm a "maybe." If you're the type that wants newer system files, you should know that IE 7/8 have newer system files than IE6. Does that mean they're better? Hard to say, but the fact of the matter is that newer IE versions do, in fact, update core system files. Personally, for me, that's not enough reason to upgrade, but to each his own.

Not everybody hates IE. I, for one, like it a lot! I use IE6 on 98SE and IE7 on XPSP3, and I'm quite satisfied. So, YMMV!

Don't you find that for the past few years, that many web pages don't render properly (or even satisfactorily) with IE6 on win-98? That's my observation. I started running FireFox on my win-98 systems a few years ago exactly for that reason.

And I don't think this entire thread has satisfactorily answered the question regarding IE integration into the "guts" of any given windows version (be it 98, XP, etc) and the vulnerabilities that flow from that integration.

(there are those that believe that IE6 was not properly "ported" to win-98. They point to unresoved dependencies in Dependency Walker as their main evidence)

Any app backported from a newer OS to an older one will have this issue, especially when we're talking about packages built from an NT-based OS tree and backported to Win9x, like versions of IE or media player. The lack of unresolved dependencies of course means little if other binaries have code to handle the expected failure. I do remember a thread on this in the past, here, that you were involved in. I never saw any further information from your source either :).