Just downloaded Vista WAIK, newbie needs help!

Teh_Tech

Hi I have just downloaded the Vista WAIK from Microsoft and installed it, I followed a tutorial from here: http://apcmag.com/windows_pe_20_a_tiny_ver...maintenance.htm and have followed the instructions to make the ISO, I have checked this in Virtual PC but after it loads it just opens a command prompt window titled startnet.cmd and just displays X:\windows\system32 after it loads wpeinit.

How do I use this to add and customise the iso with my custom tools and what-not?

I have googled & read a few pages on it, but I have found nothing that I can use :(

Please help me!

You can either use startnet.cmd as a cmd file and edit it to run your commands, or use winpeshl.ini to run things on wpeinit:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...156(WS.10).aspx

Also, it would probably be better, long term, if you used the WAIK from Win7. It doesn't require Win7 to actually use, and the PE images and tools are better. There's also a technet article on creating said PE image with the Win7 WAIK.

Thanks for your reply cluberti!

I only just found Vista WAIK thrusday night, but had to wait till yesterday to download it round my old land lady's house as Im just using my GPRS internet at the moment and man its way slow!

I will try to find the Win7 kit 2morra when Im back round there, but to be quite honnest, I doubt that I will get far with this as it just goes *WAY* over my head!

I have tried countless tutorials & examples, but none work how I would like them to :-(

Basically I need a bootable shell like WinPE or BartPE, when it loads up I want it to just run an application that I have made that contains all the tools I would need!

With WinPE I have tried to put this said application in the mix, but when I test the iso in VirtualPC, none of my files are there!

I really am getting a headache through all of this and Im not sure if I should keep on trying or just make my own DOS boot media as I know I could do it a lot quicker there, but its the old way and Im all about the new!