Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

Have moved Win95b HDD to another computer, and then got a message "Insufficient memory to initialize Windows" message.

Then I changed the appropriate line in system.ini as

Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file

MaxPhysPage=30000

and that got rid of the error message. But now it has an error message "Windows protection error" when I try to boot to Win95b

Here is CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

[COMMON]
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:4096 /P
files=125
LASTDRIVE=Z

and here is AUTOEXEC.BAT

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\doskey
set path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command
win

The computer has 2 Gb RAM. What causes the "Windows protection error" message ?

Peter

Probably VCache explosion...

Try adding this to system.ini (if there isn't a [vcache] section, create one):

[vcache]

MaxFileCache=393216

Probably a good idea to update VCACHE.VXD as well. Even 95B comes with VCACHE.VXD v4.00.950.

The updated VCACHE.VXD v4.00.1111 for 95 B/C OSR2.x in Q194827 is 2x the size of the old 95/95A version. :o

Q194827.EXE

Edited by LoneCrusader

I'm installing an ISO of Windows 95 in Windows Virtual PC 7 and I have followed the instructions for the patch, and it appears to have worked (no more pesky windows protection error message), but now when Windows restarts post the patch being applied and begins to install various driver files it seems that it's now looking in the wrong place for them - it's looking inside X:\WIN95 for the various driver files and not finding them because they're all packed up in .cab folders that it doesn't seem to recognise.

Is this something that other people have encountered before, and if so what is a suitable workaround? I apologise for the low level of detail in the post and if this is something that is normally considered trivial, my fluency in all this is not particularly high (yet).

I'm installing an ISO of Windows 95 in Windows Virtual PC 7 and I have followed the instructions for the patch, and it appears to have worked (no more pesky windows protection error message), but now when Windows restarts post the patch being applied and begins to install various driver files it seems that it's now looking in the wrong place for them - it's looking inside X:\WIN95 for the various driver files and not finding them because they're all packed up in .cab folders that it doesn't seem to recognise.

Is this something that other people have encountered before, and if so what is a suitable workaround? I apologise for the low level of detail in the post and if this is something that is normally considered trivial, my fluency in all this is not particularly high (yet).

It's normal for Setup to extract its driver (and other) files from the .CABs, that's how all versions of Windows 9x install... :unsure:

The X:\WIN95 reference must be something unique to your setup, because there are no such references in FIX95CPU. It sounds like the PATH to your CDROM drive (or .ISO mounted as CDROM) has been changed since the first round of Setup.

Maybe with more details I could be of more help...

Edited by LoneCrusader

A couple of details needed -

1 - "Virtual PC 7" - what's that? It appears to be the Apple Mac version. What OS is the Host? Do you mean VPC-2007?

2 - How did you install? CD-Boot ("attached" ISO image) or Floppy Boot?

Probably VCache explosion...

Try adding this to system.ini (if there isn't a [vcache] section, create one):

[vcache]

MaxFileCache=393216

Thanks, I tried that, but still got the "Windows protection error" message. :(

Will try the next suggestion, although I couldn't find VCACHE.VXD. I wonder what path it is in >

Peter

Probably a good idea to update VCACHE.VXD as well. Even 95B comes with VCACHE.VXD v4.00.950.

The updated VCACHE.VXD v4.00.1111 for 95 B/C OSR2.x in Q194827 is 2x the size of the old 95/95A version. :o

Q194827.EXE

When I booted to DOS, and did a recursive 'dir' to search for VCACHE.VXD, it did not find the file, inside the c:\windows path.

I downloaded the Q194827.EXE file, booted to DOS again, and got a "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".

This mobo has a 3.0 GHz CPU also. :)

Peter

Edited by peter777

Have logged to BOOTLOG.TXT, and the lines with 'fail' are ..

[0014C7EE] Loading Vxd = ndis2sup.vxd

[0014C7EF] LoadFailed = ndis2sup.vxd

[0014C7F2] Loading Vxd = vserver.vxd

[0014C7F3] LoadFailed = vserver.vxd

[0014C804] Loading Vxd = vshare

[0014C804] LoadFailed = vshare

There aere 6 lines that refence VCACHE ..

[0014C7E9] Loading Vxd = VCACHE

[0014C7E9] LoadSuccess = VCACHE

[0014C80A] SYSCRITINIT = VCACHE

[0014C80A] SYSCRITINITSUCCESS = VCACHE

[0014C80F] DEVICEINIT = VCACHE

[0014C80F] DEVICEINITSUCCESS = VCACHE

If I try to boot to Win safemode, it very quickly just goes to DOS. Hmm, I might try running SETUP.

Ah, I can't run that in DOS either.

Btw, the file FIXCPU.ISO only conatins one file - DUN14-95.EXE , is that okay ? Seems weird for an image of a boot disk.

Peter

Edited by peter777

Will try the next suggestion, although I couldn't find VCACHE.VXD. I wonder what path it is in >

When I booted to DOS, and did a recursive 'dir' to search for VCACHE.VXD, it did not find the file, inside the c:\windows path.

I downloaded the Q194827.EXE file, booted to DOS again, and got a "This program cannot be run in DOS mode".

Btw, the file FIXCPU.ISO only conatins one file - DUN14-95.EXE , is that okay ? Seems weird for an image of a boot disk.

VCACHE.VXD is merged into VMM32.VXD along with several other VXD's during the second phase of SETUP, so you won't find the file after that.

All MS HotFixes require Windows to run. Pretty useless when you can't boot to Windows to begin with. :wacko: That's why I created FIX95CPU to install the updated CPU fixes. In order to update your VCACHE.VXD, you will need to manually extract VCACHE.OSR (it contains two VCACHE files, one for 95/95A and one for 95B/95C) from the HotFix file I linked, rename it to VCACHE.VXD, and manually place it in your WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 folder.

The Boot Image of an .ISO is not visible without tools for viewing/extracting/editing etc. FIX95CPU.ISO contains a boot image of the FIX95CPU floppy, with DUN14-95.EXE added to the "normal" part of the ISO for convenience.

I wish you success in your endeavor, but in my personal experience, if you want to use more than 512MB of RAM, you will need RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch. Several users here report success using up to ~1.5GB with the tweaks you have been experimenting with, but those tweaks never worked on any of my systems. (Also, many of those users are using 98SE, which may handle the larger RAM amounts better than standard 95B/C can.) The patch has a DEMO version that runs for 10 minutes. You might try downloading it and see if it cures your problem. :thumbup

I have now run FIX95CPU, all went okay, used the ISO on a CD and booted to that, restarted and got the usual "Windows protection error" message.

In order to update your VCACHE.VXD, you will need to manually extract VCACHE.OSR (it contains two VCACHE files, one for 95/95A and one for 95B/95C) from the HotFix file I linked, rename it to VCACHE.VXD, and manually place it in your WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 folder.

How do I do that ? Is it running EXTRACT.EXE on Q194827.EXE ?

I wish you success in your endeavor, but in my personal experience, if you want to use more than 512MB of RAM, you will need RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch. Several users here report success using up to ~1.5GB with the tweaks you have been experimenting with, but those tweaks never worked on any of my systems. (Also, many of those users are using 98SE, which may handle the larger RAM amounts better than standard 95B/C can.) The patch has a DEMO version that runs for 10 minutes. You might try downloading it and see if it cures your problem. :thumbup

Thanks, I might have to try the demo.

Peter

How do I do that ? Is it running EXTRACT.EXE on Q194827.EXE ?

You will need to use WinZip, WinRar, 7-Zip, etc, to extract the file from inside the HotFix on another computer. MS HotFixes are usually "Self-Extracting Executables" and can be opened with archiving programs.

:(

You said you moved the HDD from another computer... I'm assuming you have data/programs on it that you wished to save? If not, I recommend a clean installation of 95B, just in case there are any old settings/drivers/files left over from the previous machine that may be causing errors.