Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

I do have the original diskettes, by now I'd dount I would be able to read them, with errors. I may use WINE ; have tested running Ms Works under it, seems to run okay.

I think the only way to get 95b to run again, is to transfer the HDD back to the old computer ( a 350 mHz cpu I think).

Thanks for your help,

Peter

Since the older machine still works, you might try one last thing.

Put the HDD back in the older machine.

Boot into Safe Mode.

Go into the Device Manager and remove anything and everything that is listed there.

Then Shut Down and try the HDD in the new machine again.

If any older drivers are causing problems, this should correct it. If it doesn't, then you should be able to reconnect the HDD to the older machine again and let it redetect devices.

Edited by LoneCrusader

Since the older machine still works, you might try one last thing.

Put the HDD back in the older machine.

Boot into Safe Mode.

Go into the Device Manager and remove anything and everything that is listed there.

Then Shut Down and try the HDD in the new machine again.

If any older drivers are causing problems, this should correct it. If it doesn't, then you should be able to reconnect the HDD to the older machine again and let it redetect devices.

I have been able to boot into Windows 'Safe mode' on the newer computer, the one with 2 Gb ram. Have removed everything I could from the Device Manager, restarted and still get the same message.

I can boot into Safe Mode though. But it hangs after about 10 mins, how do I uninstall " RLoew's RAM Limitation patch" ?

Peter

Edited by peter777

Have uninstalled the " RLoew's RAM Limitation patch", and try to boot into safe mode and get a msg "Insufficient memory".

Is there any way around that, or do I have to place the HDD back into the old machine ? :(

The ram is 2 Gb and the CPU is 3.0 Ghz in the newer computer, that doesn't like win95b.

Peter

If you want to use the 2GB of RAM, you will need to get the full version of the RAM patch. That's really the only option for using that much RAM...

As you see, it is working and allowing you to get to Safe Mode. Very odd that you cannot boot in Normal Mode though... :unsure: I'd say that there's a possibility there are still some issues caused by old drivers.

Go into the BIOS on your motherboard and disable any Onboard Devices that you can, such as Audio, LAN, USB, Modem, etc, and see if it will allow you to boot into Normal Mode without errors. If so, then we can work on reenabling them one at a time and finding drivers to try and straighten it out.

I'm not sure what else to try, other than while in Safe Mode, go ahead and install DUN14-95 and see if the BOOTLOG.TXT for booting in Normal Mode still reports errors (if so post it here).

Other suggestions, anyone?

Edited by LoneCrusader

If you want to use the 2GB of RAM, you will need to get the full version of the RAM patch. That's really the only option for using that much RAM...

I would use the full version, if the patch gave me (normal) Windows, but all I can get is safe Mode.

I'm not sure what else to try, other than while in Safe Mode, go ahead and install DUN14-95 and see if the BOOTLOG.TXT for booting in Normal Mode still reports errors (if so post it here).

I can still get into Safe Mode, and I tried to run DUN14-95, but even Safe Mode now gives an Explorer msg, and then the blue screen.

Have attached BOOTLOG.TXT

Thanks,

Peter

BOOTLOG.TXT

I would use the full version, if the patch gave me (normal) Windows, but all I can get is safe Mode.

I can still get into Safe Mode, and I tried to run DUN14-95, but even Safe Mode now gives an Explorer msg, and then the blue screen.

Have attached BOOTLOG.TXT

Thanks,

Peter

What is the "Explorer" message and Blue Screen you're getting?

Strange. The only failure listed is on an attempt to load VSHARE. However, VSHARE was reported successfully loaded earlier in the file. :blink:

I believe this has gone out of my realm of experience. Maybe rloew will have some suggestions. Don't give up yet. ;)

The messages are not consistant. Now I can boot to Safe Mode and no Explorer messages or blue screen. I did manage to run the DUN14-95 file, rebooted 'protection error' msg again.

I'm a bit rusty on windows, usually use *nix, but does it matter if I warm boot or cold boot on restarts ? Also, the computer I'm using has a number of drives in it, as I use it to multi-boot. But win95 won't worry about that, I think, it will just see it as a HDD.

Peter

The messages are not consistant. Now I can boot to Safe Mode and no Explorer messages or blue screen. I did manage to run the DUN14-95 file, rebooted 'protection error' msg again.

I'm a bit rusty on windows, usually use *nix, but does it matter if I warm boot or cold boot on restarts ? Also, the computer I'm using has a number of drives in it, as I use it to multi-boot. But win95 won't worry about that, I think, it will just see it as a HDD.

Peter

Cold or Warm boots should not matter in this case.

Drive configurations might be an issue at some point, but I don't think it has anything to do with the current problem.

Couple of other questions for the record that may make it easier to figure out what is going on...

- Did you have any of the USB Support updates previously installed on this Win95 HDD?

(MAJOR changes to several core system files, so we need to know whether we're working with pre-USB 95B or post-USB 95B.)

- What are the specs of your motherboard & integrated hardware on it? Brand, Model, etc.

Edited by LoneCrusader

- Did you have any of the USB Support updates previously installed on this Win95 HDD?

(MAJOR changes to several core system files, so we need to know whether we're working with pre-USB 95B or post-USB 95B.)

I have never had USB support with win95, so the answer there is no USB updates at all. There are USB slots of course.

- What are the specs of your motherboard & integrated hardware on it? Brand, Model, etc.

It is an ASUS P5GD1 PRO

Thanks,

Peter

Try using the /M Option of my Patch.

***UPDATE 12-18-2010***

I have finally worked out a method of "slipstreaming" this update into a Windows 95 installation. Details below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SLIPSTREAMING FIX95CPU WINDOWS 95 PROCESSOR UPDATE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS SLIPSTREAM METHOD IS FOR WINDOWS 95 B OSR 2.0/2.1 AND WINDOWS 95 C OSR 2.5 ONLY!

HAS NOT BEEN TESTED WITH WINDOWS 95 ORIGINAL OR WINDOWS 95 A!

It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with all of the issues surrounding this update by fully reading the discussion thread and/or the README.TXT contained in FIX95CPU.

This process will eliminate the need to create separate bootable floppy disks or CD's for installing FIX95CPU, and will not require the interruption of Windows 95 Setup.

This process requires the addition of files to your Windows 95 Source folder (WIN95 folder on the Windows 95 CD-ROM). You can modify this folder by copying it to your hard drive for installation and performing these steps, or you can modify it and use an .ISO editing program to inject the modified folder back into an .ISO image of your Windows 95 CD if you wish to have a slipstreamed install CD.

IN YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY (WIN95 FOLDER FROM CD-ROM)

1. EXTRACT SETUPC.INF FROM PRECOPY2.CAB

2. OPEN SETUPC.INF AND DO THE FOLLOWING:

A.
"COMMENT OUT" (PLACE SEMICOLON BEFORE) THE FOLLOWING LINE:

wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS NOW:

; wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

B.
FIND THE SECTION LABELED:

[VxD.Files]

;Copy these to the \system\vmm32 dir to be bound into VMM32.VxD:

C.
IN THAT SECTION, UNDER THE LINE:

vfbackup.vxd,,,1

INSERT THE FOLLOWING LINE:

ntkern.vxd,,,1

SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS NOW:

vfbackup.vxd,,,1

ntkern.vxd,,,1

vcomm.vxd,,,1

D.
SAVE SETUPC.INF IN THE INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY.

SETUP WILL NOW USE IT INSTEAD OF THE ONE INSIDE PRECOPY2.CAB

3. PLACE ALL 10 UPDATED SYSTEM FILES CONTAINED IN FIX95CPU INTO YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE FOLDER, AND SETUP WILL USE THEM INSTEAD OF THEIR OLD EQUIVALENTS INSIDE THE .CAB'S.

CDFS.VXD

DISKTSD.VXD

ESDI_506.PDR

HSFLOP.PDR

SCSIPORT.PDR

INT13.VXD

IOS.VXD

NTKERN.VXD

VFBACKUP.VXD

NDIS.VXD

Now you may simply install Windows 95 normally from this folder or from your modified installation CD by running SETUP.EXE, and no further work is required.

I've finally got this into full instructions for installing Windows 95 slipstreamed.

1. Insert the Windows 95 CD-ROM into the CD drive.

2. Reconfigure the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM first.

3. Continue with what you would do in the normal setup procedure until Setup says "To continue, press ENTER. To quit Setup, press ESC.", at which point you should press the Esc key twice.

4. Repeatedly press F8 until you see the Microsoft Windows 95 Startup Menu, at which point you should choose option 4

5. Repeatedly press the Enter key until you are asked "x: [Enter=Y,Esc=N]?", then repeatedly press the Esc key.

6. Enter the command: xcopy X:\WIN95 C:\WIN95

7. When you are asked "Does WIN95 specify a file name or directory name on the target?", press D

8. Remove the Windows 95 CD-ROM, insert the FIX95CPU floppy disk or CD, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and if you inserted a floppy disk, reconfigure the BIOS to boot from the floppy disk first.

9. Again, repeatedly press F8 until you see the Microsoft Windows 95 Startup Menu, at which point you should choose option 4

10. Repeatedly press the Enter key until you are asked "CLS [Enter=Y,Esc=N]?", then repeatedly press the Esc key.

11. Enter these commands:

copy A:\WINDOWS\*.* C:\WIN95

copy A:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\*.* C:\WIN95

copy A:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\*.* C:\WIN95

copy A:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\POSTPACK\*.* C:\WIN95

copy A:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\*.* C:\WIN95

12. If you will install Windows 95A/B/C, also enter these commands:

copy A:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS\WIN95BC\*.* C:\WIN95

13. Remove the FIX95CPU floppy disk or CD, insert the Windows 95 CD-ROM, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and if the BIOS was configured to boot from the floppy disk first, reconfigure the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM first.

14. Again, repeatedly press F8 until you see the Microsoft Windows 95 Startup Menu, at which point you should choose option 4

15. Again, repeatedly press the Enter key until you are asked "x: [Enter=Y,Esc=N]?", then repeatedly press the Esc key.

16. Enter these commands:

extract /L C:\WIN95 C:\WIN95\PRECOPY2.CAB SETUPC.INF

edit C:\WIN95\SETUPC.INF

17. Press Alt, go to Search->Replace..., and replcae wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd" with ; wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

18. Press Alt, go to Search->Find..., and find vfbackup.vxd,,,1

19. Press End, press Enter, and type in ntkern.vxd,,,1

20. Press Alt and go to File->Save

21. Press Alt and go to File->Exit

22. Enter these commands:

C:

cd WIN95

setup

23. Continue with what you would do in the normal setup procedure until Setup restarts your computer.

24. Return the BIOS settings to what they were before you followed step 2.

25. Repeatedly press F8 until you see the Microsoft Windows 95 Startup Menu, at which point you should choose option 6

26. Enter the command: edit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI

27. Press Alt, go to Search->Find..., and find [386Enh]

28. Press End, press Enter, and type in MaxPhysPage=3B13B

29. Press Alt and go to File->Save

30. Press Alt and go to File->Exit

31. Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete

I tested it in Windows Virtual PC with:

* Host CPU: Intel Core i5-3210M

* Virtual machine's RAM: 3,712MB (Windows Virtual PC's maximum)

* Windows 95 Retail ("for PCs without Windows") - all optional components were installed

post-355321-0-02557600-1354067784_thumb.post-355321-0-56191300-1354067783_thumb.post-355321-0-59112400-1354067784_thumb.post-355321-0-04646100-1354067785_thumb.post-355321-0-99788800-1354067782_thumb.post-355321-0-66657300-1354067785_thumb.

It worked, but with a few caveats. Also, after installing Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 (full install), Windows 95 started to work perfectly with MaxPhysPage=3B276 and lower values instead of only MaxPhysPage=3B13B and lower values, if an extra 1260KB of RAM would actually help.

Edited by YCG96

I've finally got this into step-by-step instructions.

1. Insert the Windows 95 CD-ROM into the CD drive.

2. Reconfigure the BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM first.

No, not quite. :angel

Windows 95 CDROM's are not bootable. :whistle:

My slipstreaming instructions were directed at those who wish to modify their installation source. If you're just going to copy and re-modify it each time you install, why not just use FIX95CPU as-is? :unsure:

Edited by LoneCrusader