• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
LoneCrusader

Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

272 posts in this topic

Did exactly what you indicated and reinstalled the setup.exe from the C: drive. No change. The message is the same. In view of your comments about the installation disk I tried creating a startup floppy on the Sony but it does not have CD support so I cannot progress. The instruction (line 5) did show the CD drive as E: with the setup.exe file. Not sure what is using D: It is recognised and has a directory. Not seen that with the other instruction I have followed previously. 

If you seen the (line 5) E-drive, then that would be your CD that you *should* be using and it *does* see it.

That is, unless that's your Partition on HDD from previous attempts (doubt it). :crazy:

"I tried creating a startup floppy on the Sony but it does not have CD support" <-makes absoulutely *no* sense based on your other statements.

Now, can tell us what lists on the D-Drive by doing a DIR from the Floppy's Command Prompt? (see next paragraph)

You should have absolutely *no other devices* plugged in, including a USB Stick/Drive when trying to follow my instructions. Remove *all* items attached *except* inserting the Floppy Boot and the CD into the DVD Reader. DOS (the Booted Floppy) should *only* see itself (A:), the HDD (C:), and the CD (D:).

Startup created during win95 installation - therefore on the Sony. The startup does not have CD support.

I have no devices attached.

There is a directory on the D: drive hence the cd rom is E:

This is reaching ludicrous proportions and whilst I have responded to your efforts by staying with it. I think enough is enough.

I have checked the RAM but the battery is failing after 11 years and this might be the problem with Windows 95?

I am giving up. Thanks again for all your efforts.

Well...

Startup created during win95 installation - therefore on the Sony. The startup does not have CD support.

I have no devices attached.

There is a directory on the D: drive hence the cd rom is E:

Wrong Floppy. Do *not* use it as it will *not* give you CD-ROM drivers! I thought you created one from here?

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

"Windows 95 Version B" has several "generic" CD-Rom drivers.

Both "Windows 98 OEM" and "Windows 98 SE OEM" has the OAKCDROM driver (which *should* work).

Note:

Win98SE BootDisk Floppy (when you boot to it) creates a Ramdrive. *IF* you already have a HDD Partition ("C:")then it will be assigned "D:" and CD/DVD will be "E:". If you do *not* have an HDD Partition then you *will* get a message indicating that *and* Ramdrive will be "C:" and CD/DVD will be "D:". This is why you should be doing "Step#1/Step#2" with *this* downloaded Floppy.

Correction to instructions:

5 - "DIR E:\WIN95\*.*" (*should* be the DVD-Drive and *should* list the Install Folder)

* - At this point, if it does *not* list the DVD Contents, we have a problem...

6 - "COPY x:\WIN95\*.* C:\WIN95" (x=CD Drive Letter, *better* be "D")

BTW, after you run SETUP, do *not* create another Startup Disk as it *will* overwrite your 98SE Boot Floppy. You *can* make another one later from the OS.

I have checked the RAM but the battery is failing after 11 years and this might be the problem with Windows 95?

Maybe (doubt it), but don't you have a Power Adapter for it? :unsure: Just turning it on without one *will* drain it.

I am giving up. Thanks again for all your efforts.

Sorry to hear that. :( And you're welcome. If you *do* have a Power Adapter, by all means try using my instructions.

I've completed a Test Install of 95B using them on a VirtualPC as we speak. Several Driver items need to be installed (Quesion Marks in Device Manager for e.g. Intel) but it does run. I have also prepared instructions to transfer Win98SE CD/DVD files to the Win95B Boot disk (altered AUTOEXEC.BAT/CONFIG.SYS) if you choose to attempt this by following my (corrected) instructions *to the letter*.

BTW, several of us are oldsters (jaclaz as well - sorry, dude) but we have more experience, so don't feel bad. ;) Later.

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for this patch LoneCrusader!

I desperately needed to get Win95 running for one of my lab instruments as the old 386 that was attached to it had failed (after almost 20 years of daily use!). I transferred the hard disk from the 386 to an oldish Pentium 2.6Ghz I found, but ended up with the "Device IOS" error. Ran the amdk6upd.exe patch I found elsewhere, but then got stuck with the NDIS error. Thank goodness I found this forum thread. Your patch worked beautifully. Win95 is running like a ferrari now. I don't have to replace the instrument for another couple of years at least. And my lab can continue with their work. Now I just need to back up the entire hard disk in case that ever fails...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by chiakaivalya

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help! :thumbup

I use it for my i7 and it does not work :(

3 hours ago, shelby said:

It does work. But you may have any of a number of other problems that prevent you from even installing.
In case you really want help, you shold describe as completely as possible what exact happens, since "it does not work" is way too vague to allow any meaningful help from our members.

5 hours ago, shelby said:

As dencorso has already pointed out I will need a lot more information in order to even attempt to address your issue.

What is the exact model and clock speed of the CPU? What motherboard are you running it on? How much RAM do you have (and if more than 512MB do you have rloew's RAM patch to fix it)? What steps did you take during installation? What exactly happens, and what error, if any, do you get? Those questions, at least, must be answered to begin with.

Posted (edited)

ok i installed the win95 and when i retarted the cupmuter it gave me this error

"While initializing device NDIS:

Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer."

then i entered in the desktop with the safe mode just to run the DUN14-95.EXE then i restarted my computer and it was the first and the only time i enter the windows normally then when i restart the computer it gives me always the above error

Edited by shelby

9 hours ago, shelby said:

ok i installed the win95 and when i retarted the cupmuter it gave me this error

"While initializing device NDIS:

Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer."

then i entered in the desktop with the safe mode just to run the DUN14-95.EXE then i restarted my computer and it was the first and the only time i enter the windows normally then when i restart the computer it gives me always the above error

So, did you use the latest FIX95CPU (v3) as instructed or are you using an older version? DUN14-95.EXE is still a recommended update but when using FIX95CPU as intended it should not be necessary to install it in order to get the system to boot.

Boot into Safe Mode again and check the version of the NDIS.VXD file in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder (right click on it, choose Properties, then examine the Version tab) and report the results here. If it is not version 4.00.1113 then you need to re-run FIX95CPU per the instructions.

You still didn't answer my other specific questions. It is important to know the specific details of the processor you're using since it is possible that there may be further bugs with CPUs clocked above 3.73 GHz as this is the highest clocked CPU I have to test with.

i have the i7 4790 @3,6 GHz. i wil check the file and i will report the results

Posted (edited)

here is the version of the NDIS.VXD file and i found what i did wrong. The iso file does not contain the same files with the diskette

image.jpg

Edited by shelby

9 hours ago, shelby said:

i have the i7 4790 @3,6 GHz. i wil check the file and i will report the results

8 hours ago, shelby said:

here is the version of the NDIS.VXD file and i found what i did wrong. The iso file does not contain the same files with the diskette

Yes, you must keep the updated files installed by the FIX95CPU script. If older files from the original CD SETUP are allowed to overwrite them then it will undo the patch. Glad you got it working!

Posted (edited)

can this work on win 98/me? is there any way to take the win95 updates?

Edited by shelby

10 hours ago, shelby said:

can this work on win 98/me? is there any way to take the win95 updates?

Windows 98 Second Edition and Windows ME do not need this patch as they don't suffer from the CPU clock speed bug to start with. Microsoft issued an official HotFix for Windows 98 First Edition (RTM), Q312108, which can be found here.

Is there any way to remove the additional floppy disks?

image.jpg

You really manage to be terse, now, don't you?  :wacko:

What those floppies correspond to in your hardware?
Which 9x are you on, presently?
Efkharistó polí!

13 minutes ago, dencorso said:

You really manage to be terse, now, don't you?  :wacko:

What those floppies correspond to in your hardware?
Which 9x are you on, presently?
Efkharistó polí!

these floppy disks appeared when i put the FIX95CPU in win95 so do you know how can i remove them?

Might this or this be of help?

12 hours ago, shelby said:

Is there any way to remove the additional floppy disks?

Never seen that before. Remove all of the floppy disk drives and controllers from the Device Manager and reboot, see if they all reappear. Does your system have a floppy drive? If not, you may need to disable the Floppy Disk Controller in the system BIOS. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Never mind, LoneCrusader, it's solved (and as per your suggestion, BTW):

2 hours ago, shelby said:

i think the delete of the floppy disk controller in the device manager should work. Anyway this work for me :)