Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

Windows 95 CDROM's are not bootable. :whistle:

That's... the upgrade versions are not bootable whether on floppy or CD-ROM, but I just realized that the CD-ROM I used is the Windows 95 "for PCs without Windows" CD-ROM.

If you're just going to copy and re-modify it each time you install, why not just use FIX95CPU as-is? :unsure:

I actually tried to use FIX95CPU 2.0 "as-is" - I tried to use it the first time just after Windows 95 was installed and just before it booted for the first time, but then when Windows 95 booted for the first time, the "Setting up Hardware" process seemed to reinstall some of the VxDs that were replaced when I ran FIX95CPU from the Windows 95 CD-ROM and I got the same old Windows protection error during the next boot, and I used FIX95CPU the second time after that happened, but despite the fact that FIX95CPU 2.0 was slightly updated so it should also work after Windows 95 tries to boot and displays the Windows protection error, I still got the same old Windows protection error after running FIX95CPU.

That's... the upgrade versions are not bootable whether on floppy or CD-ROM, but I just realized that the CD-ROM I used is the Windows 95 "for PCs without Windows" CD-ROM.

I actually tried to use FIX95CPU 2.0 "as-is" - I tried to use it the first time just after Windows 95 was installed and just before it booted for the first time, but then when Windows 95 booted for the first time, the "Setting up Hardware" process seemed to reinstall some of the VxDs that were replaced when I ran FIX95CPU from the Windows 95 CD-ROM and I got the same old Windows protection error during the next boot, and I used FIX95CPU the second time after that happened, but despite the fact that FIX95CPU 2.0 was slightly updated so it should also work after Windows 95 tries to boot and displays the Windows protection error, I still got the same old Windows protection error after running FIX95CPU.

I'm not aware of any bootable Windows 95 CD's, for PC's without Windows or otherwise. But it's simple enough to create your own bootable CD.

Anyway..

If you are using a "For PC's Without Windows" CD then it must be 95/95A rather than 95B/95C because the B/C versions only exist as OEM CDROMs.

I have seen some errors reported using FIX95CPU with 95/95A. I did not have a copy of 95/95A to test with when I created FIX95CPU, so the results on those earlier versions may not be ideal or exactly the same as 95B/95C. :}

- Did you have any of the USB Support updates previously installed on this Win95 HDD?

(MAJOR changes to several core system files, so we need to know whether we're working with pre-USB 95B or post-USB 95B.)

I would be interested to apply the fix/patch for 95B, to support USB drives please.

Peter

- Did you have any of the USB Support updates previously installed on this Win95 HDD?

(MAJOR changes to several core system files, so we need to know whether we're working with pre-USB 95B or post-USB 95B.)

I would be interested to apply the fix/patch for 95B, to support USB drives please.

Peter

-Any luck getting past the protection error?

Microsoft made one heck of a mess with the USB updates for Windows 95. :wacko: As long as you know what to do beforehand, then you should be OK. If not, it can be extremely confusing.

There are two official USB Support packages.

The first of which (USBSUPP.EXE) had two versions issued (first version was bugged and should NOT be used).

Then USBUPD2.EXE was issued to correct bugs in the first package.

Finally there were several "HotFix" files issued that further updated the drivers.

Then, on top of that, there are semi-complete unofficial packages to support USB Flash Drives (which may be superseded in the near future.) :whistle:

I have been planning to merge all of these updates into a single package to simplify things. If you're willing to wait a couple of days, I will try to get it assembled. If you want to go ahead and wade through the mess, I will walk you through it. :angel

-Any luck getting past the protection error?

No, unfortunately.

I have been planning to merge all of these updates into a single package to simplify things. If you're willing to wait a couple of days, I will try to get it assembled. If you want to go ahead and wade through the mess, I will walk you through it. :angel

Okay thanks, that would be great. USB support for the (old) W95B computer would be better than trying to work with either CD's or floppy drives, to get data to and fro. :thumbup

That is all assuming this protection error can't be fixed, as I will then have to put the W95B HDD back into the old computer, 350 Mhz CPU. Will then see if I can get a KVM that supports 3 computers; a tad bit easier.

Peter

Edited by peter777

then it must be 95/95A rather than 95B/95C

I exactly said:

I tested it in Windows Virtual PC with:

* Windows 95 Retail ("for PCs without Windows") - all optional components were installed

so you should have been sure that it's neither Windows 95A/B/C, not either the original version or Windows 95A, because the retail floppy disks/CD-ROM were never updated except when Internet Explorer 1 was released.

I did not have a copy of 95/95A to test with

Do you have one now?

If not, however, the retail version "for PCs without Windows" is interestingly still available in some stores, although mostly moved to the Collectables section or something like that in each of those stores.

I exactly said:

I tested it in Windows Virtual PC with:

* Windows 95 Retail ("for PCs without Windows") - all optional components were installed

so you should have been sure that it's neither Windows 95A/B/C, not either the original version or Windows 95A, because the retail floppy disks/CD-ROM were never updated except when Internet Explorer 1 was released.

Yes. And I said this in my slipstreaming instructions:

THIS SLIPSTREAM METHOD IS FOR WINDOWS 95 B OSR 2.0/2.1 AND WINDOWS 95 C OSR 2.5 ONLY!

HAS NOT BEEN TESTED WITH WINDOWS 95 ORIGINAL OR WINDOWS 95 A!

:whistle:

but nonetheless, I'm happy that you got it to work, and it's not worth splitting hairs over. Welcome to MSFN. :hello:

Do you have one now?

If not, however, the retail version "for PCs without Windows" is interestingly still available in some stores, although mostly moved to the Collectables section or something like that in each of those stores.

I do have a copy of 95 Original/RTM now, but I've had so many other projects going on that I haven't had any time to devote to experimenting with it. :}

Just for the record, the version:

Windows 95 "for PCs without Windows"

is only listed on many sources as being a set of 3" 1/2 floppies (and NO CD-ROM) :unsure: example:

http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/mswin95v.htm

Could you share the MS part number and (possibly) a photo of the actual CD?

And/or additionally the file dates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158238/en-us

Does it look *like* this one (which seemingly is the French version) - but this seems an OEM one:

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-95-PCs-without/dp/B008FSOVPE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Compare with:

http://thebuyonlinecom.appspot.com/buy-windows-online--20/detail/B000NRY05G/183-6121017-4226423

This could be it? - still seems to me an OEM one

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Software-Windows-95/dp/B000NRY05G/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A2LGHWXS2DEZ7I

This one could be it (the box) but if you zoom in on the image you see in top left that it is the 3.5" floppy version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-95-For-PCs-Without-Windows-Retail-Big-Box-3-5-Floppy-EUC-/321017778870?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&ssPageName=RSS:B:STORE:US:101&hash=item4abe2692b6&nma=true&si=FwwFAzwjL58Ot%2FguEM89YfQZYHk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

it is possible that this same version was made on CD.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

I have been planning to merge all of these updates into a single package to simplify things.

Okay thanks, that would be great. USB support for the (old) W95B computer would be better than trying to work with either CD's or floppy drives, to get data to and fro. :thumbup

That is all assuming this protection error can't be fixed, as I will then have to put the W95B HDD back into the old computer, 350 Mhz CPU. Will then see if I can get a KVM that supports 3 computers; a tad bit easier.

Peter

Peter, if you're still following this thread I have created a preliminary version of the "merged update" that I was referring to. It contains all of the official Windows 95 USB updates merged into one installation package. It doesn't contain any unofficial items yet, (including USB Storage drivers) as these are still incomplete.

I've had it done for a while now but hadn't seen you around. I should have posted before... but anyhow, if you're interested in the update, just let me know and I will post a link to download it.

Peter, if you're still following this thread I have created a preliminary version of the "merged update" that I was referring to. It contains all of the official Windows 95 USB updates merged into one installation package. It doesn't contain any unofficial items yet, (including USB Storage drivers) as these are still incomplete.

I've had it done for a while now but hadn't seen you around. I should have posted before... but anyhow, if you're interested in the update, just let me know and I will post a link to download it.

Yes, thanks, I'm interested in the USB updates that you have created. :)

Peter

Yes, thanks, I'm interested in the USB updates that you have created. smile.gif

Peter

Ok, here goes :whistle: lol

It's best if you remove all devices again, put the hard drive back in the old computer for this, and uninstall the Demo RAM patch.

Once this update is installed, there is a chance that it may enable you to get past the issues you were having with the newer machine, because it installs a newer VMM.VXD kernel that has a bugfix for newer processors. I can't say for sure if it will help or not, as we were never able to determine the source of your error, but it remains a possibility.

So, once you have XUSBSUPP installed, if you still want to try the newer machine again, simply re-install the Demo RAM patch and remove devices again for a new test. If it doesn't work still, you can always put it back in the old computer... again... lol. laugh.gif

Notes for anyone else who may be interested in or download this:

This package is experimental!

It renders ALL earlier official and unofficial USB Support packages for Windows 95 OBSOLETE and should NOT be used with any of them!

See the enclosed XUSBSUPP.TXT for further information.

XUSBSUPP.ZIP - 901.0 Kb

Edited by LoneCrusader

It's best if you remove all devices again, put the hard drive back in the old computer for this, and uninstall the Demo RAM patch.

Okay, thanks for this update. :D

Once this update is installed, there is a chance that it may enable you to get past the issues you were having with the newer machine, because it installs a newer VMM.VXD kernel that has a bugfix for newer processors. I can't say for sure if it will help or not, as we were never able to determine the source of your error, but it remains a possibility.

That would be great, even if it's only a chance.

So, once you have XUSBSUPP installed, if you still want to try the newer machine again, simply re-install the Demo RAM patch and remove devices again for a new test. If it doesn't work still, you can always put it back in the old computer... again... lol. :lol:

Yes, as long as I can always go back to the hdd in the old computer, if need be.

Thanks,

Peter