Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

*** UPDATE 2-23-2010 ***

FIX95CPU.ZIP Versions 1.1 and 1.2 Released!

Less typing required, and a bootable ISO is now included for VM users.

The First post in this thread has been updated and describes the differences in these two versions.

Get the new version here: FIX95CPU.ZIP

Edited by LoneCrusader

FIX95CPU.ZIP Versions 1.1 and 1.2 Released!

Less typing required, and a bootable ISO is now included for VM users.

Works great, thanks! If you do update the patch again, I have one tiny request, and that is to at least have the option in the batch file to install the dun14-95 file to a folder in the C drive. This will allow less disk swapping because people can just navigate to the patch and double click it.

Also, I cannot seem to find a download or description of rloew's Win95 (or Win98) memory patch--can someone please direct me? I know you don't want to do a complete service pack, but pairing the CPU fix with the memory patch would be fantastic.

Derek

Works great, thanks! If you do update the patch again, I have one tiny request, and that is to at least have the option in the batch file to install the dun14-95 file to a folder in the C drive. This will allow less disk swapping because people can just navigate to the patch and double click it.

Also, I cannot seem to find a download or description of rloew's Win95 (or Win98) memory patch--can someone please direct me? I know you don't want to do a complete service pack, but pairing the CPU fix with the memory patch would be fantastic.

Derek

Thanks for the feedback. Spread the word in the virtualization community that 95 is now working again. :thumbup

DUN14-95.EXE is too large to fit on a floppy disk, so there is no way to have it on the same "Disk" as the batch file. One solution to this might be to use an ISO editing program and add DUN14-95 to the bootable FIX95CPU.ISO so that it would be in the root of the CD image and could be accessed from there once the Windows desktop has loaded. However this would require recapturing the ISO image, as you must release it after the patch is applied to allow Setup to continue. I considered doing this, but I felt things were getting a little redundant, since I had to include two versions in the new package, and both versions contain copies of DUN14-95 in their ZIP's.

While I agree it would be convenient to have the CPU and RAM fixes combined, RLoew's RAM patch is not free, so it cannot be distributed in such a manner. It is the only method of installing more than 512 MB of RAM on a 9X system that I personally recommend however. I have been using it for over a year on my 98SE system with 1.5 GB of RAM. If you decide to purchase a copy, it is worth every penny.

Edited by LoneCrusader

? I am soooo confused...

VPC2K7 doesn't mount floppies without VB(what version)? Maybe I installed all of the VBx's on my XP/2K3's... I installed Win95RTM (no IE at all!!!) from... FLOPPY IMAGES!!! Then mounted the VPC2K4SP1 ISO add-ons and installed, then used Shared Folders, installed the DUN then IE. My CPU is a Sempron on the Host and I limited the RAM in VPC. No problems whatsoever. AFAIKR the MS AMD Patch was specifically for the 350mhz (although heard reports of others).

Not slamming the project as it sounds great and should "cure" any problems with installation on "real" PC's. May try installing Win95RTM/OSRx.y onto a "real" partition just to give it a go (yeah, I have all of them in some form or another).

Just wondering about the statements in the posts above (downloaded the DOC and see nothing about VB-scripts mentioned)...

BTW, installing the DUN (and other items) should be able to "integrate" into actual install using the MSBATCH.INF (remember your other thread?) the same way as UBCD98SE did. If need be, I'll scrounge up the "basics" of the how-to to assist. Not much on projects nowadays except to fix my own up and relative's ignorance. I could at least supply the "raw files" (if not too large for a ZIP) used (the actual process files, not the remainder/proprietary EXE, etc.) to let you late-comers peruse (lots of BAT files too).

Edited by submix8c

AFAIKR the MS AMD Patch was specifically for the 350mhz (although heard reports of others).

Not slamming the project as it sounds great and should "cure" any problems with installation on "real" PC's. May try installing Win95RTM/OSRx.y onto a "real" partition just to give it a go (yeah, I have all of them in some form or another).

BTW, installing the DUN (and other items) should be able to "integrate" into actual install using the MSBATCH.INF (remember your other thread?) the same way as UBCD98SE did. If need be, I'll scrounge up the "basics" of the how-to to assist. Not much on projects nowadays except to fix my own up and relative's ignorance. I could at least supply the "raw files" (if not too large for a ZIP) used (the actual process files, not the remainder/proprietary EXE, etc.) to let you late-comers peruse (lots of BAT files too).

I can't speak from experience on the VPC issues, however I think he is referring to VPC7 for Windows 7, not VPC2007.

The MS AMD Patch works for many processors besides the 350MHz. I used it for years on AMDK6-2 550MHz systems before being forced to upgrade to 98 because of a game I wanted to play. It is also required for Pentium 4 processors, and I have used it to successfully install 95 on a P4 2.0GHz system.

Above 2.1GHz, Windows 95 will crash with the NDIS error referenced in the first post. MS claimed there was no fix for this in 95, but issued a HotFix for 98FE that contained an updated NDIS.VXD. It just so happens, the NDIS.VXD contained in the DUN14-95 update also fixes the error. MS neglected to mention this. :whistle:

The reason for this particular project is that you cannot boot into Windows (not even safe mode) to install the MS patches. Windows will crash on the first reboot during setup. This project manually copies the AMDK6UPD files and the updated NDIS.VXD into Windows so that Windows Setup can continue normally.

It may be possible to use MSBATCH to install DUN14-95 during Setup, (as discussed with BeatZero above) but you must first be able to continue setup, if the updated files are not copied after the first reboot, Setup will crash. And, if the updated files are simply placed in the \WIN95 folder before setup, or copied before setup, WININIT.EXE will crash and not properly compress VMM32.VXD.

Edited by LoneCrusader

? I am soooo confused...

VPC2K7 doesn't mount floppies without VB(what version)? Maybe I installed all of the VBx's on my XP/2K3's... I installed Win95RTM (no IE at all!!!) from... FLOPPY IMAGES!!! Then mounted the VPC2K4SP1 ISO add-ons and installed, then used Shared Folders, installed the DUN then IE. My CPU is a Sempron on the Host and I limited the RAM in VPC. No problems whatsoever. AFAIKR the MS AMD Patch was specifically for the 350mhz (although heard reports of others).

Hi:

Sorry for the confusion. Virtual PC 2007 works fine with Win 95. However, Virtual PC (or Virtual PC 7), the latest version that only works with Windows 7, does not have a floppy interface. You need to open Windows Powershell and run either a VB script or Powershell script:

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2009/10/01/using-floppy-disks-with-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprovirt/thread/62f8eaf1-23f9-497e-a431-f4a1ad643d38

You can install Virtual PC 2007 in Windows 7, but not concurrently with VPC 7, so you lose XP mode.

I am NO virtualization expert, but from my understanding, Virtual PC 2007 does not use hardware virtualization. One possibility is that the CPU speed is sensed to be lower than the patch cutoff, so you do NOT need FIX95CPU (another is that running in ring 1 avoids the problem altogether). Since Virtual PC 7 requires hardware virtualization, perhaps having the raw code in the correct ring 0 position with a faster speed makes the IOS protection error occur. This is a problem in VMWare as well, but I believe that the program has the option to turn off hardware virtualization, thus avoiding the error. I am going to try to current patch in VMWare Workstation, and I will e-mail them if it works.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=817

Edited by dawong

@LoneCrusader -

OK, but again... it should be "doable" using the UBCD98SE method. It installed from Boot and included the necessary patches using a "special" Boot Image and the contents of the CD during Text Mode (which is not affected as you are in the process of installing). Agreed that the AMD Patch actually fixed other CPU's.

Too bad the UBCD thread was totally eliminated. There was a wealth of information there applicable to nearly any Win9x-series. Perhaps (?) it could be reloaded from archive and all links/attachments removed... (probably not and not worth the effort)...

If no Moderator has any objections, I'll extract the BAT's (all home-grown) and the contents list-only of the Boot Image so you'll see what I mean... (Never was a UBCD for Win95, but the concept is the same...)

@dawong - thx for the explanation

edit - errr DUN... will try a "basic" UBCD-95 in spare time just to test... Theoretically, the actual components could be extracted, placed in the WIN95 and alter the LAYOUT.INF accordingly (if other methods fail).

Edited by submix8c

@LoneCrusader -

OK, but again... it should be "doable" using the UBCD98SE method. It installed from Boot and included the necessary patches using a "special" Boot Image and the contents of the CD during Text Mode (which is not affected as you are in the process of installing). Agreed that the AMD Patch actually fixed other CPU's.

Too bad the UBCD thread was totally eliminated. There was a wealth of information there applicable to nearly any Win9x-series. Perhaps (?) it could be reloaded from archive and all links/attachments removed... (probably not and not worth the effort)...

If no Moderator has any objections, I'll extract the BAT's (all home-grown) and the contents list-only of the Boot Image so you'll see what I mean... (Never was a UBCD for Win95, but the concept is the same...)

edit - errr DUN... will try a "basic" UBCD-95 in spare time just to test... Theoretically, the actual components could be extracted, placed in the WIN95 and alter the LAYOUT.INF accordingly (if other methods fail).

This is all very interesting :)

I'm open to any suggestions for improvement, but I don't want to bring any moderators down on our heads. I was not around before the UBCD project was removed, and I don't know much about what happened. Feel free to PM me or email me from my profile if you wish.

Thanks for the feedback. Spread the word in the virtualization community that 95 is now working again. :thumbup

DUN14-95.EXE is too large to fit on a floppy disk, so there is no way to have it on the same "Disk" as the batch file. One solution to this might be to use an ISO editing program and add DUN14-95 to the bootable FIX95CPU.ISO so that it would be in the root of the CD image and could be accessed from there once the Windows desktop has loaded. However this would require recapturing the ISO image, as you must release it after the patch is applied to allow Setup to continue. I considered doing this, but I felt things were getting a little redundant, since I had to include two versions in the new package, and both versions contain copies of DUN14-95 in their ZIP's.

Yes, I will do something like that and will post for the VPC 7 users when it is done. Right now, the skeleton site I set up has a boot disc that also has the DUN14-95 patch, but the process can be improved further. http://www.virtualuser.net

While I agree it would be convenient to have the CPU and RAM fixes combined, RLoew's RAM patch is not free, so it cannot be distributed in such a manner. It is the only method of installing more than 512 MB of RAM on a 9X system that I personally recommend however. I have been using it for over a year on my 98SE system with 1.5 GB of RAM. If you decide to purchase a copy, it is worth every penny.

Forget about virtualization for the moment--if I read things correctly, FIX95CPU, rloew's patch(es), the info on MDGX's site, and a boot manager like EasyBCD may allow a native Win 95 (or Win 98SE2ME) installation in any partition on a modern fast 8GB system with a large >137GB hard drive :-) :-) Hooray!

Edited by dawong

Forget about virtualization for the moment--if I read things correctly, FIX95CPU, rloew's patch(es), the info on MDGX's site, and a boot manager like EasyBCD may allow a native Win 95 (or Win 98SE2ME) installation in any partition on a modern fast 8GB system with a large >137GB hard drive :-) :-) Hooray!

Yep. :yes:

The only limitation is the lack of drivers for 9X. :(

Edited by LoneCrusader

Fix95cpu.zip -

Currently a lot of users are downloading files. Please try again in 2 minutes or become a Premium Member
How about MegaUpload (or anything other than stinky RapidShare)?

Had DUN14-95.zip already tucked away...

edit - oops, sorry - I see new link above...

Edited by submix8c

Fix95cpu.zip -

Currently a lot of users are downloading files. Please try again in 2 minutes or become a Premium Member
How about MegaUpload (or anything other than stinky RapidShare)?

Had DUN14-95.zip already tucked away...

edit - oops, sorry - I see new link above...

Heh, yes, RapidShare is very irritating. I only link to it until MDGx gets a chance to update the patch on his site, which he did last night. ;)

The Patches can easily be combined so they can be done in a single sequence.

Add the PATCHMEM.EXE file from my RAM Limitation Patch package to the FIX95CPU Floppy, and run the RAM Patch after the FIX95CPU script completes.

The Patches can easily be combined so they can be done in a single sequence.

Add the PATCHMEM.EXE file from my RAM Limitation Patch package to the FIX95CPU Floppy, and run the RAM Patch after the FIX95CPU script completes.

Yes, it can easily be added to the floppy and even the script, provided one already has a copy of PATCHMEM. I was mainly addressing the distribution issue.

Edited by LoneCrusader