Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

Don't forget that you need to reinstall Windows 95 and install FIX95CPU per it's instructions. The method we used for the test does not produce a properly compressed VMM32.VXD or place the updated NTKERN.VXD file in the proper folder, which can lead to problems down the road with further updates, especially the Windows 95 USB Supplements. Also a proper VMM32.VXD is required for the use of RLoew's RAM Patch should you ever decide you want to run more than 512MB of RAM.

Keep me posted on your driver experiments. :)

I don't think there are any problems with having an Uncompressed VMM32.VXD file other than taking up more space and possibly a longer boot time. My RAM Patch can be installed but needs to be manually configured.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

spaceheeder

spaceheeder
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 11-December 10
The problem I'm running into now is no longer relevant to this thread. Whenever I try to run the NVIDIA installer for 81.98 (or any earlier revision that supports Windows 9X and the 6X00 series) I get an error, saying that the installer could not "locate any NVIDIA graphics chips." I searched around for the error and found that people needed to extract the files and install the drivers manually, but when I tried that I started getting protection errors because of "VXDLDR.vxd"

I checked the driver info and Windows 95 isn't allocating NEARLY as much RAM for the Display Driver as Windows 98SE is, but no matter how much I try I can't modify the setting. I Googled part of my bootlogs and it's pretty clear that the dynamic driver loader is running into problems in the middle of initializing the NVIDIA driver.

Any idea who I should talk to about that? :D

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

The problem I'm running into now is no longer relevant to this thread. Whenever I try to run the NVIDIA installer for 81.98 (or any earlier revision that supports Windows 9X and the 6X00 series) I get an error, saying that the installer could not "locate any NVIDIA graphics chips." I searched around for the error and found that people needed to extract the files and install the drivers manually, but when I tried that I started getting protection errors because of "VXDLDR.vxd"

I checked the driver info and Windows 95 isn't allocating NEARLY as much RAM for the Display Driver as Windows 98SE is, but no matter how much I try I can't modify the setting. I Googled part of my bootlogs and it's pretty clear that the dynamic driver loader is running into problems in the middle of initializing the NVIDIA driver.

Any idea who I should talk to about that? :D

There are several users here who run NVidia graphics cards, I'd estimate that they outnumber the ATI users. My advice would be to start a thread in the main forum specific to NVidia drivers and Windows 95. There are also a few 95 users still running around and I'm not sure what video cards they use, but they may have some insight. ;)

For some reason I want to think that I tried to find Windows 95 NVidia drivers once before, I had a GeForce FX 5500 OC that toasted itself. I will dig around and see if I have any other files or notes on the subject lurking around here.

EDIT:
What other updates have you installed? Most importantly, have you updated to DirectX 8.0a? I know the ATI drivers I use in 95 require DX8 minimum.

Edited by LoneCrusader, 14 December 2010 - 11:43 PM.

spaceheeder

spaceheeder
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 11-December 10
I get the same error dialog after installing the latest DirectX; can't locate any NVIDIA graphics chips...

(EDIT: And I still get the protection error if I try to install the drivers manually)

Edited by spaceheeder, 15 December 2010 - 12:51 AM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

***UPDATE 06-10-2013***
Added instructions for 95 RTM (95\95A).

I have finally worked out a method of "slipstreaming" this update into a Windows 95 installation. Details below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SLIPSTREAMING FIX95CPU WINDOWS 95 PROCESSOR UPDATE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE SLIPSTREAM METHOD FOR YOUR VERSION OF WINDOWS 95!
INSTRUCTIONS ARE DIFFERENT FOR 95 RTM (95\95A) AND FOR OSR 2.0\2.1\2.5 (95B\95C)!

It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with all of the issues surrounding this update by fully reading the discussion thread and/or the README.TXT contained in FIX95CPU.

This process will eliminate the need to create separate bootable floppy disks or CD's for installing FIX95CPU, and will not require the interruption of Windows 95 Setup.

This process requires the addition of files to your Windows 95 Source folder (WIN95 folder on the Windows 95 CD-ROM). You can modify this folder by copying it to your hard drive for installation and performing these steps, or you can modify it and use an .ISO editing program to inject the modified folder back into an .ISO image of your Windows 95 CD if you wish to have a slipstreamed install CD.

95 RTM:

IN YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY (WIN95 FOLDER FROM CD-ROM)

1. EXTRACT SETUPC.INF FROM PRECOPY2.CAB

2. OPEN SETUPC.INF AND DO THE FOLLOWING:

A. "COMMENT OUT" (PLACE SEMICOLON BEFORE) THE FOLLOWING LINE:
wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS NOW:
; wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

B. SAVE SETUPC.INF IN THE INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY.
SETUP WILL NOW USE IT INSTEAD OF THE ONE INSIDE PRECOPY2.CAB

3. PLACE ALL 10 UPDATED SYSTEM FILES CONTAINED IN THE FOLDERS W95BOTH AND W95RTM ON THE FIX95CPU FLOPPY INTO YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE FOLDER, AND SETUP WILL USE THEM INSTEAD OF THEIR OLD EQUIVALENTS INSIDE THE .CAB'S.

CDFS.VXD
DISKTSD.VXD
ESDI_506.PDR
HSFLOP.PDR
SCSIPORT.PDR
INT13.VXD
IOS.VXD
VFBACKUP.VXD
NDIS.VXD
WININIT.EXE

95 OSR2:

IN YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY (WIN95 FOLDER FROM CD-ROM)

1. EXTRACT SETUPC.INF FROM PRECOPY2.CAB

2. OPEN SETUPC.INF AND DO THE FOLLOWING:

A. "COMMENT OUT" (PLACE SEMICOLON BEFORE) THE FOLLOWING LINE:
wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS NOW:
; wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

B. FIND THE SECTION LABELED:
[VxD.Files]
;Copy these to the \system\vmm32 dir to be bound into VMM32.VxD:

C. IN THAT SECTION, UNDER THE LINE:
vfbackup.vxd,,,1

INSERT THE FOLLOWING LINE:
ntkern.vxd,,,1

SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS NOW:
vfbackup.vxd,,,1
ntkern.vxd,,,1
vcomm.vxd,,,1

D. SAVE SETUPC.INF IN THE INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY.
SETUP WILL NOW USE IT INSTEAD OF THE ONE INSIDE PRECOPY2.CAB

3. PLACE ALL 10 UPDATED SYSTEM FILES CONTAINED IN THE FOLDERS W95BOTH AND W95OSR2 ON THE FIX95CPU FLOPPY INTO YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE FOLDER, AND SETUP WILL USE THEM INSTEAD OF THEIR OLD EQUIVALENTS INSIDE THE .CAB'S.

CDFS.VXD
DISKTSD.VXD
ESDI_506.PDR
HSFLOP.PDR
SCSIPORT.PDR
INT13.VXD
IOS.VXD
NTKERN.VXD
VFBACKUP.VXD
NDIS.VXD

Now you may simply install Windows 95 normally from this folder or from your modified installation CD by running SETUP.EXE, and no further work is required.

Edited by LoneCrusader, 10 June 2013 - 09:54 PM.

betaluva2010

betaluva2010
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 07-January 10
nice tutorial , now i have a question, cant you share your modified windows 95,it should be legal so long as you don't supply a product key?

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,876 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03

nice tutorial , now i have a question, cant you share your modified windows 95,it should be legal so long as you don't supply a product key?

No he cannot it is still illegal actually.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Sorry, I can't. While it's OK to distribute patched files, one still cannot distribute the whole OS.

The modifications aren't difficult to do, don't be afraid to try for yourself. If you have any problems, post here for help.

Edited by LoneCrusader, 26 December 2010 - 03:21 PM.

nyvicky

nyvicky
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 13-December 10
Hi, i slepstream CPUFiX in both windows 95 b and c in english wthout and with internet explorer 3 for default and all go good. but when install unofficial sp1.05 an restart just before desktop shows windows says que vxd is corrupt or missing and windows must be reinstalled.

i try this: http://www.easydesks...news/news10.htm
and this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/194679

but the problem still remains.

I make a clean install on vmware 7.13, the software installed before restart was 7zip 9.20 and IE5.5SP2 with active deskptop and unfficial SP1.05 FULL. or nothing, just SP1.05

my pc espec: 521 mb ram ( 2x256) hard disc 20 gb ide, video intel 8215. 1gb hard virtual disc + 128 mb ram

the file is in the folder system so i supose is broken.

:-l

my other virtual pc no present this problem.

Maybe i should test it in a real machine...

Edited by nyvicky, 18 February 2011 - 01:09 AM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

...but when install unofficial sp1.05 an restart just before desktop shows windows says que vxd is corrupt or missing and windows must be reinstalled...

I have also had problems with the Windows 95 Unofficial Service Pack. I do not recommend it, and it appears, from my experience and yours, to be incompatible with FIX95CPU.

My advice would be to manually install any Updates and/or HotFixes that you need, and do not rely on the USP. :}

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

My guess is the unofficial sp1.05 rolls back (or overwrites with an inadequate file, even if newer) some/all the critical files that underlie FIX95CPU. But some heavy sleuthing may be needed to pinpoint exactly what goes on, when sp1.05 is applied.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

My guess is the unofficial sp1.05 rolls back (or overwrites with an inadequate file, even if newer) some/all the critical files that underlie FIX95CPU. But some heavy sleuthing may be needed to pinpoint exactly what goes on, when sp1.05 is applied.

Well, to expand a bit more on the issue since someone else has encountered it...

When I experimented with the USP on one of my test machines, it rendered it unbootable, but I don't remember the exact circumstances or error. Judging by the links that nyvicky posted, I assume he is having errors related to VMM32.VXD.

Now, there are several potential VMM32.VXD issues with Windows 95 here, because:

• VFBACKUP.VXD from AMDK6UPD (included in FIX95CPU) will crash WININIT.EXE when it tries to combine VXD's unless the modifications specified in the Slipstreaming instructions are followed exactly.
  • The USBSUPP.EXE update (alone, and included inside the USP) makes several changes to VMM32.VXD and rebuilds it when installed.

The failure of either one of these, or a combination of errors resulting from some "conflict" between the two could theoretically result in the error at hand.

If anyone experiments with this issue, please post your results here. I am personally not a fan of Unofficial Service Packs, but I welcome any input from and/or to help those who want to use it.

tsampikos

tsampikos

• 46 posts
  • Joined 30-August 11
I have a Virtual Windows 95 System, which I use in Virtualbox. I don't know if anyone has experience with Virtualbox, but Windows 95 runs great through it (after the correct set up of course).

My host system has a built in USB internal multi card reader with 4-5 slots and a Floppy Drive. The Floppy Drive and each card reader slot can be mounted separatly as Floppy drives in Virtualbox but there is also a generic usb device in the USB connection optons (I suppose it indicates the whole device which is attachet to the usb motherboard port).

So far so good? OK.

When I add a Floppy Controller and a floppy Drive to my WIndows 95 Virtual Machine through the Virtualbox settings, even though it is empty (no Floppy Image mounted or actual floppy to my Floppy A:/) in "my computer" in Windows 95 I see the A:/ Floppy as usual.

After I installed the Win95 CPU Fix Patch my system instead of seeing an "A:/ Floppy Drive" sees as Floppy Drives the seperate card reader slots (!). In the device manager they are listed as "Nec Floppy Drives" in a "Disk Drives" section while in the normall "floppy drive" section is only the Floppy controller listed and not any A:/ floppy Drive as it should be.

I know that this question can be answered from someone who has experience with Virtualbox, but I thought I would give it a try here too, since it is a Windows 95+ CPU fix issue.

SO my question is as follows: Why does Windows 95 makes this change after the installation of the cpu fix patch?

(By the way the patch did the trick and now Windows 95 runs great as if it were my host system and it is possible to use the Virtualisation features and CPU extentions of Virtualbox).

Edited by tsampikos, 30 August 2011 - 11:16 AM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

I've never seen this occur... this behavior is not present in VMware Workstation or VirtualPC. Of course I don't have a similar USB-Floppy drive setup though. Maybe VirtualBox is mapping the entire USB device to 95 instead of the floppy by itself, and 95 is trying to compensate... :unsure:

Which version of 95 are you running? My tests were all performed with 95 B/C setups, RLoew did the testing on 95/95A setups. He did identify a bug wherein the floppy drive was sometimes not recognized properly with these earlier versions. I scripted FIX95CPU to not update the file that causes this in 95\95A... Maybe RLoew can elaborate a bit on the floppy error he encountered.

Windows 95's USB support is badly lacking... (although I am beginning to believe part of this was by design or due to outright laziness, the INF file has an unresolved bug actually LABELED in it! :blink: ). Unless VirtualBox is able to "translate" the USB floppy into a standard floppy there are bound to be problems. :}

tsampikos

tsampikos

• 46 posts
  • Joined 30-August 11
Thank you for the interest!

It's very nice to talk about old Windows software. I have tha same version of Windows like you! That's right, Virtual PC and VMWare do not show the same behavior. I searched in Virtualbox and found a solution workaround.

Renaming the hsflop.pdr updated driver or disabling the floppy controller through save mode does somehow the trick. The A: Floppy reappears, the 4 additional floppys go away and just the Floppy Drive in Device manager appears with exclamation mark. Which means that it works and according to the Virtualbox forums it "can read, cannot write, VM does not crash". I did it (renamed the updated hsflpo.pdr) and it's indeed like that It's OK for the time being I guess. Here is the quotation of the Virtualbox Forum.

3)The Fast CPU Fix Amdk6upd.exe updates the Floppy Disk Controller driver HSFLOP.PDR which can read the floppy.
4) but HSFLOP.PDR v4.00.1113 doesn't enumerate the FDD in the VM properly and creates 4 Floppy Disk Drives in My Compurter.

And even more so for the floppy ! My experiences: up to step 3 fine, getting 4 floppy drives, usable. Next, to make it nice (single A: instead of quad E: or whatever I got) is trickier (result: VM complains about unformatted floppy in A:) , but I got it somewhat going. Note: typo in filename: it is hsflop.pdr (not .vxd) that I renamed... When rebooting: have an empty (unmounted) floppy drive; with it mounted I got a boot error. Note: all this using a rather old VB version (1.5.6).... but my PC is older :-)

Edit 20100103: this seems even to allow a read-only floppy image file, at last !!! A few checks worked out well: can read, cannot write, VM does not crash.

Note:The Fast Processor fix Amdk6upd.exe can break PCI enumeration (ie. the Intel Inf Update Utility for 400 Series doesn't find the chipset) Edit: More testing has shown this to be incorrect (2010-01-09). A fix is to rename pcinogat.vxd (from the original 95 CD) to pci.vxd or find pccardupd.exe which has version 4.00.1120, 28/8/97.

The uninstall inf for Amdk6upd.exe can be found in C:\Windows\Inf\Qfe\Amdk6_un.inf. This will reinstall the old files from the original Windows installation CD or Directory.

If you don't need the fast processor fix and can access the floppy drive from Safe Mode just disable the FD Controller to force MS-DOS compatability mode (the key variable was the 16MB Base Memory).

Not bad I guess... B)

tsampikos

tsampikos

• 46 posts
  • Joined 30-August 11
It is amazing how good this Patch is. If you use a CPU with latest Virtualization technologies and enable them on a virtual Windows 95 system (Virtualbox and VMware) the system just rocks! It runs so smoothly and good, it blows your mind away. B) Really exciting! It's so solid you can't even recognise that this is a virtual system!

tsampikos

tsampikos

• 46 posts
  • Joined 30-August 11
How did you Manage to get windows 95 with 4 GB RAM installed working (page 3 of thread)? In my Virtual Machines I can get maximal 920 MB (both VIrtualbox and VMWare) with latest patch version applied.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,844 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

How did you Manage to get windows 95 with 4 GB RAM installed working (page 3 of thread)? In my Virtual Machines I can get maximal 920 MB (both VIrtualbox and VMWare) with latest patch version applied.

See:
http://www.msfn.org/...than-1-gib-ram/

jaclaz

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Using RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch 7.0.

The thread jaclaz linked contains all of the relevant info for running 9x with more than 512MB of RAM. :thumbup

peter777

peter777

Junior

• Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12
Have moved Win95b HDD to another computer, and then got a message "Insufficient memory to initialize Windows" message.

Then I changed the appropriate line in system.ini as

Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file

MaxPhysPage=30000

and that got rid of the error message. But now it has an error message "Windows protection error" when I try to boot to Win95b

Here is CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

[COMMON]
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:4096 /P
files=125
LASTDRIVE=Z

and here is AUTOEXEC.BAT

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\doskey
set path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command
win

The computer has 2 Gb RAM. What causes the "Windows protection error" message ?

Peter

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 6,112 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Probably VCache explosion...
Try adding this to system.ini (if there isn't a [vcache] section, create one):

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=393216

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Have moved Win95b HDD to another computer, and then got a message "Insufficient memory to initialize Windows" message.

Then I changed the appropriate line in system.ini as

Add the following line in the [386Enh] section of the file

MaxPhysPage=30000

and that got rid of the error message. But now it has an error message "Windows protection error" when I try to boot to Win95b

Here is CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

[COMMON]
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:4096 /P
files=125
LASTDRIVE=Z

and here is AUTOEXEC.BAT

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\doskey
set path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command
win

The computer has 2 Gb RAM. What causes the "Windows protection error" message ?

Peter

Probably VCache explosion...
Try adding this to system.ini (if there isn't a [vcache] section, create one):

[vcache]
MaxFileCache=393216

Probably a good idea to update VCACHE.VXD as well. Even 95B comes with VCACHE.VXD v4.00.950.

The updated VCACHE.VXD v4.00.1111 for 95 B/C OSR2.x in Q194827 is 2x the size of the old 95/95A version. :o
Q194827.EXE

Edited by LoneCrusader, 16 November 2012 - 12:08 AM.

nzwill

nzwill
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 18-November 12
I'm installing an ISO of Windows 95 in Windows Virtual PC 7 and I have followed the instructions for the patch, and it appears to have worked (no more pesky windows protection error message), but now when Windows restarts post the patch being applied and begins to install various driver files it seems that it's now looking in the wrong place for them - it's looking inside X:\WIN95 for the various driver files and not finding them because they're all packed up in .cab folders that it doesn't seem to recognise.

Is this something that other people have encountered before, and if so what is a suitable workaround? I apologise for the low level of detail in the post and if this is something that is normally considered trivial, my fluency in all this is not particularly high (yet).

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 824 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

I'm installing an ISO of Windows 95 in Windows Virtual PC 7 and I have followed the instructions for the patch, and it appears to have worked (no more pesky windows protection error message), but now when Windows restarts post the patch being applied and begins to install various driver files it seems that it's now looking in the wrong place for them - it's looking inside X:\WIN95 for the various driver files and not finding them because they're all packed up in .cab folders that it doesn't seem to recognise.

Is this something that other people have encountered before, and if so what is a suitable workaround? I apologise for the low level of detail in the post and if this is something that is normally considered trivial, my fluency in all this is not particularly high (yet).

It's normal for Setup to extract its driver (and other) files from the .CABs, that's how all versions of Windows 9x install... :unsure:

The X:\WIN95 reference must be something unique to your setup, because there are no such references in FIX95CPU. It sounds like the PATH to your CDROM drive (or .ISO mounted as CDROM) has been changed since the first round of Setup.

Maybe with more details I could be of more help...

Edited by LoneCrusader, 18 November 2012 - 02:33 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,407 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
A couple of details needed -
1 - "Virtual PC 7" - what's that? It appears to be the Apple Mac version. What OS is the Host? Do you mean VPC-2007?
2 - How did you install? CD-Boot ("attached" ISO image) or Floppy Boot?

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users