Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 841 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Hmm... :huh:  Have you tried running FIX95CPU again after you get this Windows Protection Error?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

xTMODx

xTMODx
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 10-April 14

Yes i tested it some weeks ago. Is there any log method?

ToryPhoenix

ToryPhoenix
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14

LoneCrusader. I am hoping you are able to help me.  I am in desperate need of breaking the same speed barrier you have been so successful with in Win95 in Win98. I have attempted to use your Win95 patches, but it just won't take and I have been unable to locate the patch that is supposedly out there somewhere.  Any direction is apprecaited.

I'm currently running a Win98 FE VM on Windows Virtual PC because VirtualBox hates me. But I need, if at all possible, to be able to port this VM to a system with more power than the current one.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,784 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

I see no reason for despair at all...

Here is the info page at MS: KB312108 and the direct download link for the HotFix.

ToryPhoenix

ToryPhoenix
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 07-May 14

@dencorso: That appears to have worked and I now have and Win98 Vm running on a 3.0+ system.  Thank you so much.

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,784 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

You're welcome! And thanks for reporting back, I'm glad it worked.

debs3759

debs3759
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 09-July 14

I'm getting ready to set up some old systems for testing vintage (over 10 years old) graphics cards, and this site was one of the first google sent me to. This was the second thread. Very useful, thank you for the work you put in to testing and distributing this patch. First system I'll be setting up won't need it (5x86, 32MB ram - until I find another 32MB FPM to add to it), but all my AGP systems are faster than 350 MHz :) Also I wouldn't have known about RLoew's memory patch if I hadn't found this site. Was about to go to bed when I found this thread, have spent two hours reading!

Looking forward to getting some legacy systems running the way I want them to run :)

dencorso

dencorso

• Supervisor
  • 5,784 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

Welcome to MSFN! :hello:

Prehistoric

Prehistoric
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 22-April 15

I managed to install from floppy the program to make win95 run. No errors and it confirms windows will now run. It runs in safe mode but I still get the same error message when trying to load normally. What am I doing wrong

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

What are the computer specs that you're trying to run Windows 95?

Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98 Second Edition

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

Prehistoric

Prehistoric
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 22-April 15

Thank you for replying. I am not sure what you need. It is an old (12 years) Sony laptop PC. I assume the processor speed is too high for win 95 hence the fix.

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

What's the exact model and number of the Sony laptop? That might be able to tell us something. 12 years old would be about 2003-2004 so it could have a few issues but nothing that we probably couldn't figure out. As for the fix, I don't think there would be a limit to the actual fix. I had to use the fix on my virtual machine and when I did, it worked just fine after that.

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

Prehistoric

Prehistoric
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 22-April 15

Sony PCG 9G3M. What I cannot understand is that the laptop loads in safe mode presumably using the same processor speed as a normal load yet it will not load in normal mode. Seems weird to my simple mind. It seems to suggest something in the programs or installation. I have installed the Fix 95 CPU and the VMM... follow up. Both seem to load OK. I established that my Win 95 CD is the B version. I could not use the floppy in dos so I installed the original version and then used the floppy in safe mode to reinstall Win 95 and then reinstalled the fixes. This made no difference.

Your confidence in finding the answer is very reassuring. Thank you again.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 841 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Does it print any errors when trying to boot into Normal mode? If so, what are they? If not, can you describe the crash and how the machine proceeds up to it in more detail?

How much RAM is in the laptop?

Try a "Logged" boot into Normal Mode and then post the contents of C:\BOOTLOG.TXT here.

• Tommy likes this

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10

It looks like standard RAM is 256MB and the max is 512MB. I thought Windows 95 was a bit different than Windows 98+, wasn't it 384MB that caused Windows 95 to have problems or am I remembering that wrong?

Edited by Tommy, 23 April 2015 - 08:05 PM.

2dtzy51.png
stillwin9xmsfnbt0.png

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 841 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

It looks like standard RAM is 256MB and the max is 512MB. I thought Windows 95 was a bit different than Windows 98+, wasn't it 384MB that caused Windows 95 to have problems or am I remembering that wrong?

I can't say 100% for sure about Windows 95RTM/95A, as I have never used it, but 95B/C OSR2 handles 512MB just fine.

Edited by LoneCrusader, 23 April 2015 - 08:31 PM.

Prehistoric

Prehistoric
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 22-April 15

RAM 256. The error message is the same - Windows Protection error. A logged boot results in the same error message so I get no results. I could try reinstalling but my 95 version is B and the 95B download will not work in dos. So I have to install using the first 95 download and then try to amend it from safe mode. This seems suspect?

Prehistoric

Prehistoric
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 22-April 15
I have realised I needed to extract 95B download and have now reinstalled correctly. I have the same problem. One of my devices shows an error - PCMCIA controller. Cannot update driver from safe mode. Just in case it is relevant.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 841 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Does the Windows Protection Error list any specific files or give further info?

The purpose of the logged boot it to produce BOOTLOG.TXT, a file that lists the startup process of Windows 9x and lists drivers and modules as they are loaded. It wasn't supposed to cure the problem, it was to provide the log so we can examine it and see if it will help determine the problem. You need to copy or attach the contents of the log here.

What do you mean the "download will not work in DOS"? What are you trying to download? Or do you mean copying the SETUP files to the system? If you're having problems copying files in DOS it probably indicates a problem with hardware or the SETUP files themselves.

The PCMCIA controller should not keep the system from booting properly, but I have no experience with PCMCIA.

Prehistoric

Prehistoric
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 22-April 15

Windows protection error gives nothing but one line saying Windows Protection Error - Restart computer

When I select Bootlog startup it simply goes into the same Windows protection error so I cannot get a log.

The DOS problem was with the 95B startup download (top of page 1 of this topic) which I solved - I just needed to extract the files from Windows.

As a test I reinstalled the original XP onto the Sony and that loads fine so it does not seem to be a hardware problem.

In safe mode the CD Rom is not recognised and the process for correcting this seems to be rocket science. I wondered if I could manually load the drivers from the original XP CD but they are too big for a floppy?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users