Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to change folder icon in the task bar

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

nice_guy75

nice_guy75

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09
Hi guys,
I wish to change folder icon in the task bar, I have alredy changed the folder icon in "explorer.exe" but task bar icon has not changed. All the icons have already changed. I am also using iconpackager, but I am unable to change folder icon in the task bar.
See this screenshot.
Attached File  taskbar.JPG   47.16KB   40 downloads

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,925 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03
which icon the yellow folder?
I delete all those and add my own I copy in

Edited by maxXPsoft, 03 February 2010 - 07:00 PM.

Jump2Reg - Registry: - Aug 8, 2015 - Version 4.0.0 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8, Windows 10 32 or 64 bit
jump2reg291.png

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

nice_guy75

nice_guy75

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Joined 07-December 09

which icon the yellow folder?
I delete all those and add my own I copy in

Yes the yellow one.................. I guess your reply is incomplete "I delete all those and add my own I copy in........?????????"

I am facing very strange problem. I have edited explorer.exe to change start button and folder icons. After that when I update my OS both the icons again changed to default icons. Now after updating I am unable to take ownership of explorer.exe. The registry of ownership doesn't show "Take Ownership" option when I right click on exlporer.exe. This is not only with explorer.exe but some other files as well. Though the option is visible with some files but not with others including exlporer.exe

Is there any other way to take ownership of explorer.exe????????????????????????

Edited by nice_guy75, 03 February 2010 - 11:53 PM.

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09

Is there any other way to take ownership of explorer.exe????????????????????????

Try doing it manually

takeown.exe /f %WINDIR%\explorer.exe
icacls.exe %WINDIR%\explorer.exe /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F

Edited by MrJinje, 04 February 2010 - 12:40 AM.

maxXPsoft

maxXPsoft

MSFN Master

• Developer
  • 2,925 posts
  • Joined 14-November 03

Yes the yellow one.................. I guess your reply is incomplete "I delete all those and add my own I copy in........?????????"

No its not incomplete, right click and unpin them things and add your own icons you want, right click almost anything within 7 and you can pin to Start or Taskbar, taskbar is limited to 3 things and i don't care for the MS bs so i unpin them all.
Then I turn on Quicklaunch which has all my needed things with 6 or more icons down there.

Jump2Reg - Registry: - Aug 8, 2015 - Version 4.0.0 - 98, ME, NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Seven, Windows 8, Windows 10 32 or 64 bit
jump2reg291.png

Download ++> Windows 7 + 8 Unattended DVD + App Installer + Services Disabler + Load All Button + XML Creator
XP Unattended CD/DVD creator - Version 4.1.7
Sample xml + Setupcomplete + Add Right click .wim Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1

-X-

-X-

• Patrons
  • 2,425 posts
  • Joined 08-January 04

Donator

He's not asking about shortcuts.
[ Download all Windows XP Post SP3 High-Priority Updates with a simple double click @ xdot.tk Posted Image ]
If someone helps you fix a problem, please report back so they and others can benefit from the solution. Thanks!

ricktendo

ricktendo

Group: Banned Members

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts
  • Joined 06-June 06
Go to "%AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar", right click the Windows Explorer shortcut and change the icon (it may also be because you have not refreshed your icon cache)

Edited by ricktendo64, 04 February 2010 - 04:24 PM.

MrJinje

MrJinje

Tool™ Developer

• Developer
  • 1,031 posts
  • Joined 14-October 09
An easy way to get a customized folder link in the real taskbar (or better yet, multiple links without being forced into sub-groups) is to go through the url.dll.

%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler C:\Users
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe url.dll,FileProtocolHandler D:\Install

This way all my folder shortcuts each get their own icon, and have their own button on the taskbar. I do not like them being grouped into explorer.exe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users