Text mode drivers VS PnP ?

Sporx

whichone.jpg

I'm creating a streamlined windows disk for XP. When i go into the folder with the sata controller on N-lite i get this list. I had to contact tech support to ask which was the right one - its the second from the bottom, but i can only select it in text mode ? Is this ok ? I need this driver to work or i'm going to get BSOD .

Also could you explain the difference between text mode and pnp and if it WON'T work in text mode how do i get just the driver i need in PNP ?

Welcome.

Yeah, select only that driver in text mode.

In layman's terms, text mode is the first stage of Windows setup, when all you see on screen is text (graphics hasn't been initalized yet). So textmode drivers are drivers needed for this stage (as you witnessed, Windows will give up without them). Usually only the hard disk controller driver is needed.

PnP (Plug and Play) drivers are 'normal' drivers that you usually install when Windows is up and running. There is (usually) no need to integrate them because Windows would (usually) complete its installation without them, and you can more comfortably work with them later. But you can integrate them if you want to (for example, if you're preparing installation for multiple machines with same hardware, or if you want to save time/bother).

This topic has everything you need, including more explanations about your driver (and updated versions that work well). :thumbup

GL

Edited by GrofLuigi

Ok and last thing , i'm installing windows on a refurbished laptop so what i had to do was go to the site and get the drivers but they only came in normal EXE files, not self extracting. If i used a program like universal extractor to break those EXE files apart and then took the INF files from that is it possible that there was some damage to the files ?

Yes, you can do that, if Universal Extractor reports success, you should be good. (Sometimes it fails, depending on how the exe was compiled).

Exes aren't normal drivers, infs (and their accompanied files) are; those exes are packaged installers (InstallShield) for your "convenience". :wacko:

Exes in your image look like those to me.

GL