Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Anti-Virus Software that supports network updates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

vinodh

vinodh

Media Center System Builder

• PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 11-August 05
I currently have 3 computers at home. One Media Center, a desktop and a laptop. All run Windows 7. I want to setup Anti-Virus software on all 3 computers with just the Media Center downloading updates via the internet. The other 2 computers can then get updates from the Media Center via LAN.

I wanted to try NOD32 Business Edition but they wanted to sell me a minimum of 5 copies. The Home version does not have the capability to create a update mirror.

Microsoft's Security Essentials does not seem to support this feature.

If anyone has any suggestions for a Anti-Virus package that can provide this feature, I would appreciate it.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,923 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I can think of, off the top of my head, an idea that may work. You can use Microsoft Security Essentials (free) on all clients. Then on your media server you install WSUS. Not sure if that is free or not, or how to get it if you are not in the Partner Channel. Anyways, then you can tell your clients to get your updates from WSUS and not from the internet.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

bauxite

bauxite

• 22 posts
  • Joined 02-July 09
i believe kaspersky internet secuirty has this ability, i think it can download updates to a folder which the other two programs can be set to update from over lan.

plus its one of the best internet security programs.

Edited by bauxite, 11 February 2010 - 01:50 PM.

uid0

uid0

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Joined 12-June 06
You can download msse updates for offline use, but you'd have to script the download and install yourself.

rwycuff

rwycuff

• 17 posts
  • Joined 07-February 08
MSSE i dont think will work with WSUS plus WSUS may complain if you try something besides a server platform any AV software that has this feature out there is going to be targeting enterprise and require a min number of license

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,923 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

MSSE i dont think will work with WSUS plus WSUS may complain if you try something besides a server platform any AV software that has this feature out there is going to be targeting enterprise and require a min number of license

MSSE is not for corporate use. Forefront is the enterprise version, and is supported by WSUS.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users