Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Encourage Opera to support Opera 10.5 on 98SE

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

ryaxnb

ryaxnb

• 11 posts
So far Opera 10.5 is only in MSI format. Granted it's early yet, but it seems extremely likely that Opera itself will still work fine on 98SE as it always has. Most likely just the MSI is incompatible with 98SE. Encourage Opera to be proper and release a non-MSI distribution or allow third-parties to release a 98SE-compatible release (taken out of the MSI wrapper) so the Opera 10.5 will be available for 98SE. :)
Just a general rally call

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

modicr

modicr

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
Hello!

You can find Opera with classic installer on Desktop Team blog:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

Here is the build 3228:
http://my.opera.com/...eta-for-windows

Cheers, Roman
© I'm not patented!

modicr

modicr

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
Build 3234 now available: http://snapshot.oper...234_classic.exe

Changelog:
Added Java support
RSS preview is now working again

© I'm not patented!

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
Modicr, I've tried 3228 build of Opera 10.5.

It was possible to install it but it can't run (despite of help of KernelEx 4.5 beta 1).

As I've seen, officialy the oldest supported system is Win 2000 (similar to Firefox).

Edited by rainyd, 08 February 2010 - 04:32 PM.

lightning slinger

lightning slinger

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Modicr, I've tried 3228 build of Opera 10.5.

It was possible to install it but it can't run (despite of help of KernelEx 4.5 beta 1).

As I've seen, officialy the oldest supported system is Win 2000 (similar to Firefox).

Build 3228  runs here OK without KernelEx on this 98SE2ME machine. I normally don't download Alpha builds, but I was intrigued by the fact Opera does seem close to a Beta release of 10.5. I took the precaution of installing it in a separate folder from Opera 10 so I could compare the two and it does load pages with a lot of content such as Flash and Javascript faster. But the real question is whether it runs any better for those users who have had a good deal of problems running previous releases. 

Latest Build is 3236 by the way, they are coming thick and fast.

Edited by lightning slinger, 09 February 2010 - 02:21 AM.

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
In fact, I've installed that Alpha to the directory of stable 10.10 version but I don't know if that was a reason for my unsuccessful run.

I can't uninstalled KernelEx because some of my programs required it's presence.

Edited by rainyd, 09 February 2010 - 09:13 AM.

modicr

modicr

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Latest Build is 3236 by the way, they are coming thick and fast.

First beta build (3248) is now available at
ftp://get.opera.com/pub/opera/win/1050b1/en/

Cheers, Roman
© I'm not patented!

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
I can confirm that build 3241 works ok but installed in seperate directory than stable version (with presence of KernelEx 4.0 Final 2)

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
So Opera 10.10 is the last stable version for the 9x systems?

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

No, it's latest stable version of Opera for any Windows version.

Btw, latest build (3248 aka Beta 1) looks like is ok too - I've tested it shortly.

Edited by rainyd, 11 February 2010 - 02:43 PM.

lightning slinger

lightning slinger

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Btw, latest build (3248 aka Beta 1) looks like is ok too - I've tested it shortly.

Beta Build 3248 installs and runs without KernelEx OK but I have had a number of crashes and a couple of problems I didn't have with Alpha Build 3228. It seemed quite good when I tested it this afternoon on my XP machine on my workbench at my place of work so I reserve judgment on this until I have had more time, but heck it is only Beta 1.

lightning slinger

lightning slinger

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
FWIW

Opera have available the Release Candidate of 10.50 Build 3291. For more information on this and the download link for the Classic Installer see http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog

It does install and run on 98SE without any additional software. Remember to remove the check under 'Discover Local Opera Unite Users' as even with Unite 'disabled' it will still try to make an UDP Outbound connection. Obviously the Opera developers have still not learnt what 'disabled' means.

After a few hours of testing I personally do not think it is any faster nor better in any way that 10.00 which is the version I have settled on. 

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Opera 10.50 Beta works with Windows Lupus Project!

Edited by dencorso, 28 February 2010 - 11:59 AM.
Added a title to the link, so it's meaning becomes clear. Please avoid being so terse in the future.

Posted Image
You don't wanna click there.

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*
  • Guests
Could I get a brief summary of what Opera 10.x does for win-98 users that, say, Firefox 2.0.0.20 doesn't do (or doesn't do well) ?

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Could I get a brief summary of what Opera 10.x does for win-98 users that, say, Firefox 2.0.0.20 doesn't do (or doesn't do well) ?

Newer, faster, technologically more advanced browser and also more secure - FF 2.0.0.20 was released in December 2008 (you can expect some security issue/issues with that version but on the other hand I don't know if they could affect Win9x users).

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*
  • Guests

Newer, faster, technologically more advanced browser and also more secure - FF 2.0.0.20 was released in December 2008 (you can expect some security issue/issues with that version but on the other hand I don't know if they could affect Win9x users).

Hmmm. I was looking for something a little more (ok, way more) substantial than that answer. The words you use (newer, faster, more advanced) are terms I generally disregard as marketing pap (at least when it describes software). I would have thought that Win-98 fans these days would long ago have put little stock in such words. So at this point I'm not hearing about any important capabilities that Opera 10.x has that FF 2-20 doesn't.

ojn

ojn
  • 7 posts

Hello:

According to the Opera web site ( http://www.opera.com...rt/kb/view/386/ ), the systems requirements for the current version of Opera (v10.10) is Windows 2000 minimum and at least Windows XP recommended. So while Opera may function on Win 98/ME, it's not officially supported. The recommendation of Opera is to use an older version of Opera (such as v9.64) for older systems.

Cheers,
Jerry

Mijzelf

Mijzelf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Hello:

According to the Opera web site ( http://www.opera.com...rt/kb/view/386/ ), the systems requirements for the current version of Opera (v10.10) is Windows 2000 minimum and at least Windows XP recommended. So while Opera may function on Win 98/ME, it's not officially supported. The recommendation of Opera is to use an older version of Opera (such as v9.64) for older systems.

Cheers,
Jerry

Yeah right. The recommendation of Microsoft is to stop using W98, and use W7 instead. A recommendation which I also don't follow. 

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Hmmm. I was looking for something a little more (ok, way more) substantial than that answer. The words you use (newer, faster, more advanced) are terms I generally disregard as marketing pap (at least when it describes software). I would have thought that Win-98 fans these days would long ago have put little stock in such words. So at this point I'm not hearing about any important capabilities that Opera 10.x has that FF 2-20 doesn't.

I could fully agree with you (about marketing pap) if we talk about an commercial product (for which you need to pay) but it's a freeware browser.
I don't know, what you expect from me: some tests/benchmarks or something else?
I think, that simpliest idea would be to try Opera 10.5.
If you like it, you could use if not you will stay with Firefox.

My default browser is Firefox 3.5.8 (with help of KernelEx) and Opera (stable 10.10 version) is my third choice - after SeaMonkey.

Edited by rainyd, 01 March 2010 - 08:06 AM.

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*

Guest_wsxedcrfv_*
  • Guests

I could fully agree with you (about marketing pap) if we talk about an commercial product (for which you need to pay) but it's a freeware browser. I don't know, what you expect from me: some tests/benchmarks or something else? I think, that simpliest idea would be to try Opera 10.5. If you like it, you could use if not you will stay with Firefox.

Is there any web site, web technology or "web experience" that I am not able to experience properly using FF 2-20 that I would be able to experience properly if using Opera 10.x (or any version of Opera) on my win-9x systems?

With regard to the user interface, ease of access to frequently-used functions, screen layout of buttons, controls, drop-downs, etc, does Opera do or have anything better vs Firefox (and I mean better, not just different)?

rainyd

rainyd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Is there any web site, web technology or "web experience" that I am not able to experience properly using FF 2-20 that I would be able to experience properly if using Opera 10.x (or any version of Opera) on my win-9x systems?

With regard to the user interface, ease of access to frequently-used functions, screen layout of buttons, controls, drop-downs, etc, does Opera do or have anything better vs Firefox (and I mean better, not just different)?

Maybe instead of asking so many questions you could simply install Opera 10.5 and learn about it yourself (I'm not you and my expectation/expectations would be different than yours most probably).

Edited by rainyd, 01 March 2010 - 12:43 PM.

Usher

Usher

• 43 posts

Google web-based apps are written in Javascript mostly (google for AJAX) and old IE and Fx are both too slow to execute megabytes of JS code in decent time. Other lazy web coders also use AJAX-like technologies. Google programmers abandoned support for IE<=6.x and Fx<=2.x and so other coders did.
Google and other AJAX-powered web sites ignore Opera at all (see http://www.ajax.org in IE6 and in Opera), but Opera has a very fast JS engine and should work with those sites without significant problems.
Andrzej P. Wozniak

lightning slinger

lightning slinger

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
After using Opera 10.50 for a while now, my unease is growing that, although removing the check from 'Discover Local Opera Unite Users' as  with 10.10 does remove the UDP Outbound connection attempt, Unite still tries to open two listening ports which cannot be closed.

In 10.10, Unite could be completely removed which in turn closed these ports but so far I have not found anyway to do so with 10.50 even after removing the checks from the neccessary items under opera:config.

I have used Opera for a lot of years since it's developers were giving what I needed from a browser, fast and light with no frills. It would seem from 10.10 onward their intent is to shoehorn as much as possible  into it, turning it more into a browser suite/webserver.

I really should not need to spend time partly dismantling every later version to get back what I wanted in the first place. It seems that my unease is also shared by a growing number of 10.50 users as http://my.opera.com/...c.dml?id=433551 will show.

Meanwhile I'm back with 10.00 on this box and even 9.64 on by other box and possibly I may stay with them, perhaps my love affair with Opera is over.

Edit: Oh dear!! Started already! See this from Secunia --- http://secunia.com/advisories/38820/  

Edited by lightning slinger, 04 March 2010 - 08:32 AM.

halohalo

halohalo

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
The Web Shield HTTP proxy in avast 4.8 home obviously slows down Opera 10.50 on my Win98se pc.
Other browsers like Firefox 3, SeaMonkey 1.x, and older version of Opera are not affected.

CharlesF

CharlesF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

After using Opera 10.50 for a while now, my unease is growing that, although removing the check from 'Discover Local Opera Unite Users' as  with 10.10 does remove the UDP Outbound connection attempt, Unite still tries to open two listening ports which cannot be closed.
I really should not need to spend time partly dismantling every later version to get back what I wanted in the first place. It seems that my unease is also shared by a growing number of 10.50 users as http://my.opera.com/...c.dml?id=433551 will show.
Edit: Oh dear!! Started already! See this from Secunia --- http://secunia.com/advisories/38820/

New version 10.51 is released for Windows.
Running fine here with Win 98SE!

Listening on port 1900 is acknowledged to be a bug and should be fixed quickly : 10.50 opening ports,
but not sure if it has been done yet. :}

The 2 security issues have already been fixed: :)
- HTTP Content-Length header can be used to execute arbitrary code
- XSLT can be used to retrieve random contents of unrelated documents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN