Compaq Mini 110c RIS install BSOD After Install

Hi everybody,

I;ve used RIS in a previous job and we're just starting to use it here for our installations. I prefer it to Ghost, which is our current method. I have a batch of 10 Compaq Mini 110c Netbooks, which will be soon be followed by an additional 150 units! Having spent some time working on this we have the following:

Windows XP Pro SP3 installation from fresh download from Microsoft Licensing site

RIS install with modifications to include NIC and SATA drivers

Install completes and we get BSOD on reboot after windows portion

We've made progress from yesterday, when we couldn't get past initial RIS screens. My question now is what can be causing the BSOD after windows reboot. The message flashes for a fraction of a second and starts "A problem has been detected..." The screen only goers as far as "Technical informa." at which point screen goes blank. I can;t really get anything useful from this to try and work through the problem. I've included NIC, SATA and Display drivers in OemInstallPaths. My instinct is that it's a display related problem.

I get the same issue if I make it full unattended or if I don't. If I do Safe Mode with Command Prompt on subesequent reboots the last driver that loads is ...\System32\Drivers\Mup.sys.

Any thoughts?

The blue screen appears on first reboot after installation, so it never makes it into windows. Has anybody experienced this before? Alternatively has anyone successfully done Compaq netbooks via RIS?

I'm fairly sure the blue screen doesn't show a complete message before the system powers off and back on.

If I do safe mode when rebooting the final entry is as per the picture below. It's Mup.sys. Short delay on this screen then the above BSOD which stays for asecond or two. In order to get to this stage I had to add NIC driver and also add SATA driver.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

post-277347-1265817264_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonthejoker

I had already done that. Picture below. I'm 99% certain that there is no more than this, it's not just that it's missed on this frame.

Sure :thumbup , most BSOD end with a fading "Technical Inform". :whistle:

Maybe it's the LCD :unsure:

What happens if you connect an external display?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Sorry, cross posting.

0x0000007b means "inaccessible boot device", which translates nicely into "wrong or wrongly integrated SATA drivers" in your case.

Has the BIOS the option to set the SATA hard disk in IDE compatibility mode?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

No IDE Compatibilty mode in BIOS. I've added the SATA to the RIS image as per instructions on the HP website here. Notice the convenient method of doing GIFs for the text portion, hence no copy paste!

My TXTSetup.SIF as below:

[SourceDisksFiles]
{Some entries}
iastor.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
iaAHCI.cat = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
iaAHCI.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
iaSTOR.cat = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
iaSTOR.inf = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0
{More Entries}

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
{Some Entries}
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C5&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2652&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iaStor"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_25B0&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

[SCSI.Load]
{Some entries}
iaStor = iaStor.sys,4

[SCSI]
{Some entries}
iaStor = "Intel(R) 82801 SATA RAID/AHCI Controller (ICH5,6,7)"

My ristnrd.sif file contains:

[Unattended]
OemPreinstall = Yes
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\SATA
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\LAN
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Display
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Display\Graphics
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\WEBCAM\XP
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\CardReader\DriverBin_32bit
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Chipset\All

driversigningpolicy = ignore

Contents of SATA driver folder as below:

post-277347-1265819553_thumb.jpg

Thanks

No ideas right now. :(

Have the drivers beein copied to BOTH targets (\I386 AND \Drivers\SATA\)?

Can you try with a F6 floppy or CD?

Just to make sure that the problem is only in the RIS setup and not in "wrong" drivers-

jaclaz

Could try a manual install, but it's a netbook so I'd need to grab an external drive from somewhere. In the meantime I'm trying a different version of the SATA drivers.

Sopme questions:

1. Should OEM drivers be put in the directories (i386 & $oem$\1$\drivers\*) with standard "*.sys;*.inf" extentions or should I change them to compressed style "*.sy_;*.in_" format?
  2. I've prepared an answer file using the windows tool and applied this to do an unattended install of an existing image. Does this new file reference the original SIF in addition to the answer file?
  3. Using the unattended install the screen skips the format screen almost immediately when you see it. The standard one delays here slightly. I had assumed this wasn't a problem, but being that it's a HDD error I wonder - Could this be a problem?
  4. In addition I've noticed that that the UseWholeDisk line is missing from the unattended SIF file, although it exists in the standard one. Could this be a problem?

Hoping that I'm moving closer to a solution!

At this point, I think it's probably beneficial for you to post your unattend file, just to make sure.

As to your questions, I'm assuming your OemPnpDriversPath points to \Drivers on the boot volume, so you should be placing the uncompressed disk drivers in the $1\Drivers\ folder structure in $OEM$.