Local Account has Expired. help please

greenfrognet

Local Account has expired

Hi everyone, I have a estrange issue, the last month of September I deploy 70 machines with Windows Vista with a enterprise license, I used in that moment a local administrative user to make the deploy, but in last days some users comes to me for any problem and when I try to log me in with my administrative user Windows refuse the logon with the legend saying “the Account has expired” But if is a local account how is that possible? :blink: Where I can verify the expiration date for the local accounts? Somebody knows?

Thanks at lot in advance.

Edited by greenfrognet

If it's local, that won't help. And, if you didn't create a second local account with admin privileges or the machine isn't on a domain with a domain admin account you can use to log in, resetting the password offline is about the only option (and it has to be done with a tool that understands how to reset the password timer too, which a good number of reset tools out there do not (at least not that I've seen - I haven't used any others in about a year or so in favor of the MSDaRT locksmith tool, which can do this properly offline).

It was a change in Vista and Win7 that even local accounts require password changes every <x> days (I think the default is 45) by default. The error isn't that the account itself has expired, it's saying the password validity has expired. Depending on how long it's been since it expired, you should still be getting prompted for the old password so that you can change the password itself. If not, and I'm missing the point, you might want to post a screenshot of the error, because accounts don't expire by default (unless you configure them to), but passwords do.

But if is a local account how is that possible? Where I can verify the expiration date for the local accounts? Somebody knows?

Assuming he is not mistyping his error, there might be a command line fix using NET USER (if you can get some alternative local admin rights).

NET USER username /EXPIRES:NEVER

Run NET HELP USER for greater details.

But if is a local account how is that possible? Where I can verify the expiration date for the local accounts? Somebody knows?

Assuming he is not mistyping his error, there might be a command line fix using NET USER (if you can get some alternative local admin rights).

NET USER username /EXPIRES:NEVER

Run NET HELP USER for greater details.

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup Thanks at lot Mr. MrJinje that’s exactly what I was looking for, perfect.

Thanks again.