How To Install DOS USB Drivers ?

Monroe

Please note that your drives MUST be only either have FAT16 or FAT32 as it's filesystem!

If you use a pre-MS-DOS 7.10 MS-DOS (Windows 98, or 95B to be precise), you can only use drives that have FAT16 as it's filesystem.

No version of MS-DOS supports NTFS without any extra software.

Old versions of MS-DOS up to 7.10 only supports FAT16.

So if your drive uses a unsupported filesystem, you may need to format it correctly before use.

USBASPI.sys supports EHCI, UHCI and OHCI controllers. I didn't like the DUSE drivers too much because of the lack of compatibility with my hardware.

Also, if you need to write data to your USB device (Flash drive, or USB HDD), you should use IOMEGA's ASPIEHCI.sys, ASPIOHCI.sys or ASPIUHCI.sys (Depending if your adaptor which your device is plugged in to is a EHCI, OHCI or UHCI controller) as Panasonic's USBASPI.sys does not seem to have proper write support (Windows 9x setup crashes because of that).

In general:

EHCI - USB 2.0

OHCI - USB 1.1

UHCI - USB 1.1

OHCI and UHCI were once opposing standards(At the host side; The adapter and software design).

You can also try to use NOVAC's DI1000DD.sys instead of Adaptec's ASPIDISK.sys (Or even IOMEGA's GUEST.exe) as the ASPI layer for DOS after loading your USB ASPI manager (Which is ASPIxHCI.sys or USBASPI.sys).

BTW the latest version of USBASPI.sys from Panasonic is v2.27 (Released in 2008).

If you really can't get you device to be recognized, it may just be that it isn't compatible with the MS-DOS USB drivers.

I needed the flash drive to be reconized in DOS for the Ghost program

My Norton Ghost 2003 bootup disk uses ASPIEHCI.sys, followed by GUEST.exe. It uses PC-DOS 7.00 though (At least I think that it did). Those are the default drivers bundled with it originally. Have been using it for years without too much issues.

Edited by sp193

sp193 ... thanks for explaining in more detail about the different USB drivers. I will Google what you wrote for more information. I forgot to mention ... the IBM Thinkpad came with Win XP installed and I took it off and put Win 98SE on. I think I remember reading somewhere that XP didn't really use DOS like 98SE or maybe there was a different version of DOS on an XP computer. I would like to get my flash drive to work in DOS on the IBM. It might come in handy one day. ... thanks again

duffy,

DOS drivers make sens only if you want to use them in plain DOS mode, I mean after restarting in DOS mode. Because when windows is loaded, you better use windows apps.

To avoid interference between windows and DOS do not include driver loading command in autoexec.bat, but include them in dosstart.bat (which may have to be created).

Dosstart.bat executes only in DOS mode.

The advanatage of DOS mode is that you have access to your computer without starting windows and as such it's a unique repair tool. It allows for example to copy and replace files which can't be replaced or deleted when windows is running.

It also ensure that your machine is perfectly idle at the time you do the repair.

Windows XP and Vista don't have DOS mode, they only have a DOS console useable when windows is running. This handicap prevent the use of plain DOS mode for repairing the system as in w9x.

Vista has even a funny fake Restart in DOS mode option where it will open a nearly full screen DOS console on top of the windows'desktop. Which is perfectly useless.

From a user point of view, The XP/Vista DOS console is not very different from a DOS console in w98.

HTH

Well, duffy98, if you have Ghost 2003 installed in your Win 98SE, you'll find the Iomega drivers in the folder

C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost\Template\common\

and, BTW, the latest version of USBASPI.sys from Panasonic is not a .sys anymore, it is USBASPI.EXE v2.28 (released in 2007), which you can find at MDGx's site.

Hi,

This may be slighty off topic.

I wonder if it is possible to create USB BOOTDISK under 98 environment only. :whistle:

To backup my netbook I had to preapare USB BOOTDISK under XP with HP format utility.

Hi,

This may be slighty off topic.

I wonder if it is possible to create USB BOOTDISK under 98 environment only. :whistle:

To backup my netbook I had to preapare USB BOOTDISK under XP with HP format utility.

You mean a bootable USB stick?

Maybe (just maybe) there could be another way.

You can see your USB device under Win98 GUI, don't you?

Can you try running in Win98 this tool Swissknife:

http://www.compuapps.com/Download/swissknife/swissknife.htm

and check if it sees the USB device?

jaclaz

Yes,I do

I meant "Clonezilla Live on USB flash drive" on bootable usb stick.

I recently discovered Clonezilla as quick and efficient image maker.

The description how to do it refers to XP I think

Beside I've just found Swissknife let me format USB stick as a floppy to FAT16.

Do you think the method described here http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/liveusb.php could work?

BTW, the latest version of USBASPI.sys from Panasonic is not a .sys anymore, it is USBASPI.EXE v2.28 (released in 2007), which you can find at MDGx's site.

I thought that that "v2.28" was an unofficial, hacked version (Not released by Panasonic, but was a v2.27 hacked by someone)?

Beside I've just found Swissknife let me format USB stick as a floppy to FAT16.

Won't work on older systems (circa pre-2001) as they don't allow booting to USB devices (Even if it pretends to be one). Plus, why do you want to emulate a USB FDD (Just curious)? You could just format a USB flash drive as a system disk...

I think I remember reading somewhere that XP didn't really use DOS like 98SE or maybe there was a different version of DOS on an XP computer.

Windows 98 is sitting on top of DOS, so you can say that Windows 98 IS DOS. But Windows XP is the operating system itself, and the DOS prompt you have in Windows XP is just emulated (Or virtual).

I would like to get my flash drive to work in DOS on the IBM. It might come in handy one day. ... thanks again

You mean in pure DOS right (Boot disk or a reboot into MS-DOS mode)?

If you intend to add the drivers into your CONFIG.SYS, don't add it into Windows 98's main CONFIG.sys (You WILL cause Windows 98 to go into "MS-DOS Compatibility mode" as the drivers will conflict with Windows 98's)

So you either use a DOS boot disk, or use dosstart.bat (Although I'm not too sure how to set up a "special" CONFIG.SYS for it that way)

BTW if you still have problems, mind posting your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT where you loaded your drivers here? Plus can you state which drivers you've used?

Edited by sp193

@supem

It would be better if you start a new thread, titled "How to create a bootable stick under Win98" or similar, so that we can discuss the specific issue and hopefully find a solution without mixing the issue with this generic "drivers" one.

jaclaz

sp193

I have extracted from several different DOS USB downloads the following USB drivers. Just finished this yesterday and then I manually placed them into my System folder, I didn't add the Cypress drivers. I was able to get the Kingston flash drive to finally show up in the IBM Thinkpad yesterday. Ghost 2003 does have a version that loads USB drivers, but I never could see the flash drive when I worked with it in the past ... I spent some time with it yesterday and finally saw the USB flash drive and did a Ghost backup. This wasn't a real critical thing for me on the IBM since it has a CD/DVD burner and I just use that ... but I still wanted to see if I could get the flash drive to "show up". I was not doing a few things right when Ghost was installing ... I don't have Ghost installed on my machine, everything on a CD that starts when I boot the computer. I made up the list so I could tell in the future if a "newer" version of one of those DOS USB drivers shows up, I have enough info at a glance to see if I indeed do have a "newer" version of a driver.

---------------------------------------------------------------

USB DOS Drivers

Panasonic:

Usbaspi_sys ... 11/27/2002 37.0 KB

Usbaspi0_sys ... 05/25/2001 42.5 KB

Usbaspi1_sys ... 11/26/2002 37.0 KB

Usbaspi2_sys ... 10/26/2003 38.1 KB

Usbaspi3_sys ... 11/07/2004 38.2 KB

Usbaspia_sys ... 11/26/2002 20.3 KB

Usbaspib_sys ... 05/21/2001 42.5 KB

Usbaspie_sys ... 11/07/2004 38.2 KB

Usbcd_sys ... 11/11/2002 5.37 KB

Iomega:

Aspi1394_sys ... 08/14/2002 46.7 KB

Aspiehci_sys ... 09/27/2002 48.6 KB

Aspiohci_sys ... 08/14/2002 48.0 KB

Aspiuhci_sys ... 08/14/2002 49.4 KB

Motto-Hairu:

Di1000dd_sys ... 08/16/2001 15.9 KB

Ramfd_sys ... 11/11/2002 21.5 KB

OHCIUHCI:

Ohci ... 04/12/2004 126.0 KB

Uhci ... 04/12/2004 127.0 KB

Cypress USB:

Duse42 ... 04/26/2002 95.4 KB

Duse44 ... 09/20/2002 104.0 KB

Duse49 ... 03/17/2002 106.0 KB

Duseldr ... 09/20/2002 1.94 KB

Ninja-USB:

Njusbcda.sys ... 05/17/2000 17.6 KB

Just finished this yesterday and then I manually placed them into my System folder, I didn't add the Cypress drivers.

WHY? :unsure:

It seems to me like you are confusing Windows 98 USB drivers with DOS drivers, the latter need not (and there is NO reason for) being in System folder.

jaclaz

Well, then I don't understand why the DOS USB drivers are out there as downloads. I know that when I put some DOS USB drivers (Panasonic package) on my old Toshiba several years ago I was able to see the USB flash drive so I could use the Ghost program. I didn't install Ghost with USB drivers, just used the "normal" Ghost program on the CD. As I said earlier, I have very limited knowledge of anything DOS related. So you are saying these DOS USB drivers are of no use to me in the way I placed them manually into the System folder. I can very easily remove them if they are completely worthless on my system, that's no problem. What DOS USB driver package should be used and how should they be installed and where will these drivers be sitting after the install? Just for my knowledge.

DOS USB drivers would be most commonly used on bootable CDs and floppies. If you're setting up a built in "boot to DOS" option, put the drivers in a separate folder with your DOS utilities. I use C:\DOS\ and C:\4DOS\ as standard locations for anything used in pure DOS. A DOSboot option is often used to service or modify Windows. I use a command line version of 7zip as a backup/restore utility for the Windows and Program Files folders, with the archived folders stored on my external drive. That would be impossible if the DOS files in use were in the folders being replaced. Keep all of your DOS drivers, files, and utilities together in a location that's easy to get to and outside of Windows. Most of the time, "installing" DOS drivers means putting the files in the folder of your choosing and adding the necessary entries for it to config.sys and autoexec.bat.

Edited by herbalist

A DOS driver needs to be loaded by config.sys, as sp193 tried telling you, and as I tried telling you by sending you to get the floppy which is properly set as an example and giving you the link to here:

http://www.computing.net/answers/dos/dos-mass-storage-driver-usbaspisys/15261.html

and as it is clearly stated in the article you found yourself:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1046069/yes-usb-drivers-dos

Example config.sys and autoexec.bat files on a DOS boot diskette with USB support for an usb cd-(rom/rw) and hard disk look like this:

[config.sys]

DOS=HIGH,UMB

lastdrive=Z

device=HIMEM.SYS

rem The following line loads Panasonic's universal USB- controller driver

devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e

rem the following is an aspi mass storage driver for usb- connected HDs and compactflash memory cards

devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS

rem The following one loads CD-ROM driver

devicehigh=USBCD.SYS /d:USBCD001

[autoexec.bat]

@echo off

REM the following line adds a drive letter to the usb cd(rom/r/rw) mounted

LH MSCDEX /d:USBCD001

Let's see if this is clear:

• If you need support in Windows98 (GUI) you need Windows98 drivers.
  • If you need support in "pure" DOS (Command Line) you need DOS drivers.
  • If you need support for GHOST you need NOT ANY driver, as GHOST has it's own ones.

So you are saying these DOS USB drivers are of no use to me in the way I placed them manually into the System folder.

Yep. :)

What DOS USB driver package should be used and how should they be installed and where will these drivers be sitting after the install? Just for my knowledge.

This is the part that will be difficult.

In DOS you normally DO NOT "install" a driver (meaning there is NO install package for drivers, there is NO nice GUI - or command line for that matters - autoamgic utility, there is NOT a Registry, there is not a "standard" place for drivers, there is not a \System\ directory) , in DOS you "load" drivers by MANUALLY editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat (or like in the given example diskette, by using a driver loader program).

So, you can have your drivers in:

C:\DOS

C:\DOS\DRIVERS

C:\DRIVERS

C:\MY_dir

C:\Fruit

C:\Fruit\oranges

(just examples, I hope you get the idea ;))

You need to get clear this difference between "pure" DOS and the Win9x GUI you are used to, they work VERY differently.

Start reading/learning:

http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

http://www.tnd.com/camosun/elex130/dostutor1.html

http://terpconnect.umd.edu/~nsw/ench250/dostutor.htm

You need to grasp the basics before you will be able to customize your DOS system with drivers and the like.

Since it is LIKELY that you will botch your current Windows 98 install by fiddling with DOS, it is strongly recommended that you use for practice a virtual machine and play a bit with DOS floppy images in a Virtual Environment (please read as Virtual PC v5.1 or earlier).

jaclaz