XP SP2 iso - slipstream to SP3 - integrate hotfixes

Zaitzev

The problem I encounter happens regardless of it being an "untouched" SP2 iso, SP2 iso with slipstreamed SP3 (using nLite), or an "untouched" SP3 iso. I have all of those on my local PC.

I am trying to add hotfixes that I have manually downloaded from Microsoft. Critical updates, Genuine Advantage and Optional updates. However, in nLite I get the error message saying it couldn't be added!

Am I doing something wrong in the process of adding the files? Do they need to be added in a specific order, since perhaps some updates aren't visible on Windows Update before certain updates have been installed?

I don't see any solution to this problem, other than installing them after I have installed XP and logged on..

Zaitzev, where did all these ISOs come from? Please post a screen shot of at least one of your errors. You probably should consider an Update Pack (good ones found on RyanVM forum) - not to solve this problem but to get the correct set of post SP3 updates. Enjoy, John.

I made the iso's from my original XP disc so I don't ever have to touch it, and I have an MSDN account..

Anyway, I installed XP SP2 and went into Windows Update and wrote down every single update available for download, and I have them all in a local folder. Not one single of those hotfixes am I able to apply using nLite.

1) I have the untouched SP2 iso, which I unpack to a work folder

2) I start nLite, browse to the work folder.

3) The only thing I do in nLite, is the "apply hotfixes" step.

Actually, there was one update which passed in nLite, and that was the WGA update. :-)

Zaitzev, we still need to see your attached Last Session as -X- has requested. We would rather not ask a plethora of questions that can be answered by a quick look at your Last Session. Try using your original CD, copying all the files into an empty folder (nLite will do this for you).

and I have an MSDN account..
So, some of the ISOs came from here? What is your CD - retail, OEM, recovery, etc? Enjoy, John.

I didn't know about the Last Session.ini approach so I deleted the first work folder. I had to recreate the scenario from earlier.

1: Extract SP2 iso to a work folder

2: Start nLite and browse to the work folder

3: Choose Service Pack and install SP3

4: Add a list of a few hotfixes (for demonstration purposes)

After applying SP3, I get to choose the hotfixes to add, I took just a few now:

WindowsXP-KB892130-ENU-x86 ... pass

WindowsXP-KB873339-x86-ENU ... fail

WindowsXP-KB888302-x86-ENU ... fail

Last Session.ini

Edited by Zaitzev

At first glance these two hotfixes don't seem to be post sp3

KB873339
KB888302

BTW nLite supports a large number of hotfixes but it cannot integrate them all, id say conservatively about 87% of XP hotfixes are supported

Edited by ricktendo64

Zaitzev, your are running nLite under W7 to create an ISO for XP. This is not going to work if you integrate a Service Pack. ricktendo64 is also correct that not all MS updates will integrate with nLite. This is another reason I recommended an Update Pack from RayanVM. Enjoy, John.

SP3 is slipstreamed fine, that's not the problem... I made an iso of the above demonstrated package, and it installs just fine with SP3 integrated.

The problem is about the hotfixes, and so far out of the ~200 update files I have, about 5% of them could be added using nLite.

Same thing happens if I try to use the SVCPACK.INF method, apparently the updates doesn't install. This brings me to the question; Do I need to apply every update in any specific order? If so, is there a guide/list showing the order of install?

Zaitzev, sorry, but I have told you what your problem is. Many people have included the updates after SP3 with no problems (except for the ones that won't integrate in nLite) running XP. Some people here seem to think order does not matter (there is a thread here to that effect) - that the update process will sort out the versions of the various files being updated. I keep mine in order (XP x64). You do have a few choices. Run nLite of an XP system, run nLite under an XP virtual system (VMware Server, VirtualPC and VirtualBox are all free) or don't integrate a Service Pack. Enjoy, John.

The part where you say don't integrate a service pack, I interpret that as you saying "Don't slipstream Service Pack 3, and you'll be able to install the Hotfixes using nLite". Am I reading you correctly?

Ok, gotcha!

Anyway, I tried what you said and added the hotfixes, doing the entire nLite-process inside one of the virtual machines running XP, and it worked like a charm, so thank you very much for your help in this matter. I learn something new every day! :-)

ricktendo64; thanks for the article! ;)

At first glance these two hotfixes don't seem to be post sp3

KB873339
KB888302

BTW nLite supports a large number of hotfixes but it cannot integrate them all, id say conservatively about 87% of XP hotfixes are supported

They are definitely not SP3 hotfixes, which probably caused errors.