Microsoft Update Offline

Glenn9999

Since I'm not finding this in search, I thought I'd ask to see if maybe anyone would know. Anyhow, I'm playing with scanning updates off of Windows Update. Something I'm seeing isn't quite adding up, so I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know if there is an offline scanning capability connected with Microsoft Update? I know there is one with Windows Update, as MBSA uses it. Why I ask is if I compare online with offline, that all that is expected with Microsoft Update shows online, while the offline scanner only shows Windows Update. Any ideas on this one, or does Microsoft not support offline scanning for Microsoft Update?

MBSA uses Microsoft Update as it can scan for Office security updates along with IE8, .Net, etc - pretty much all MS software. Difference is, MBSA only shows security updates, not the optional and WGA updates that might be specific to your computer/hardware. For example, if I use Windows Update in Win 7, it will show me update for my printer driver and application compatibility update. Using MBSA, it doesn't care about printer driver and compatibility updates.

MBSA uses Microsoft Update as it can scan for Office security updates along with IE8, .Net, etc - pretty much all MS software. Difference is, MBSA only shows security updates, not the optional and WGA updates that might be specific to your computer/hardware.

Okay so this is why updates to Microsoft Visual C++ runtimes showed up on one computer I tested this on, and Windows Search 4.0 did not show up (offline scan, online scan showed it) on another computer I tested on? So offline scan shows updates to any INSTALLED software which would be considered problematic, only security wise?

• 7 months later...

MBSA uses Microsoft Update as it can scan for Office security updates along with IE8, .Net, etc - pretty much all MS software. Difference is, MBSA only shows security updates, not the optional and WGA updates that might be specific to your computer/hardware.

Okay so this is why updates to Microsoft Visual C++ runtimes showed up on one computer I tested this on, and Windows Search 4.0 did not show up (offline scan, online scan showed it) on another computer I tested on? So offline scan shows updates to any INSTALLED software which would be considered problematic, only security wise?

I got the chance to revisit this...I still have the above question unanswered.

Then:

1) What does the offline scan tend to show? Just Windows, or Office/anything else, but just critical security updates?

2) What about other stuff? I really don't get to see what Office looks like on Windows/Microsoft Update, and I don't get to see other operating systems (Vista/Seven). Is there any page that illustrates well the expected behavior out of the site?

I got an interesting idea just now, but I want to make sure it can be workable before I try it.

And another question about something I see that I didn't find a clear answer here or on Google when I searched:

I keep running into files in my patch downloads with the phrase 'msipatchregfix' in the names... what do these do?

For example, out of one of my URL lists: msipatchregfix-x86_9d8e583e06ff2d6d90ac813ae04920f48649535d.exe

2) What about other stuff? I really don't get to see what Office looks like on Windows/Microsoft Update, and I don't get to see other operating systems (Vista/Seven). Is there any page that illustrates well the expected behavior out of the site?

I got an interesting idea just now, but I want to make sure it can be workable before I try it.

I got to see this with Windows 7 yesterday. My "interesting idea" seems to work on Windows 7, but with a small caveat.

I keep running into files in my patch downloads with the phrase 'msipatchregfix' in the names... what do these do?

For example, out of one of my URL lists: msipatchregfix-x86_9d8e583e06ff2d6d90ac813ae04920f48649535d.exe

Still haven't found a good answer to this one. Also with Windows 7, I found files with names like

X86-all-mpsyschk_b48849770fd1110c15fcc48eb2ea96f58c75f0d8.exe bundled with the .MSU files.

So what do these do?

Edited by Glenn9999