Starforce Protection Error

west117wolf

I need help. Unable to play Ubisofts "Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood" Here is process. I just got a new computer with Windows 7. Game worked OK on XP.

Game installs OK, but when i try to start game the Starforce Protection Box comes up and then I get the message that "Windows requires a digitally signed driver". The specific driver in question is noted as (Version1.x).

I tried updating the driver via the starforce site download, but I got the message from Windows 7 that the driver is incompatible with Windows 7. Next I try the Starforce driver removal download and then get the message that the driver is not present.

The error message gives the problem location as: C:\Windows\System32\SFdrvvol.sys

Would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

West

From the Starforce page:

How do I know which protection version is installed for the application I use?

• Protection versions below 5.5 do not support Windows 7.
    Users of products that protected with 3.x/4.x/5.0 versions should contact the protected program developers or publishers to obtain Windows 7 patches, or use previous Windows version to run the products.

StarForce offers FREE re-protection for all the developers and publishers of the programs that utilize version below 5.50 to release the appropriate patches. Please contact your sales manager for re-protection and further details.*

• Protection versions 5.5/5.6 partially support Windows 7.
    Due to constant changes within Windows 7 during its development process some 5.5/5.6 builds may not fully support this OS. In case of failure please update the protection driver through the protect.exe utility or use a protected program developer’s patch to be able to run the protected programs in Windows 7.

StarForce offers FREE re-protection for all the developers and publishers of the programs that utilize version below 5.50 to release the appropriate patches. Please contact your sales manager for re-protection and further details.*

• Protection versions 5.7 and above are fully support Windows 7.
    There is no need for any additional actions.

If you've followed the instructions here and used the "5.5 or earlier" method, I'm not sure what else you can do. Supposedly 5.7 is Windows 7 (even x64) compatible, so if you're sure you updated it properly, try contacting the Star-force support folks to see if they can help. That would be my suggestion at this point.

I did contact starforce and they recoomended the following:

Hello,

Most probably this application is protected with too old protection system version and, generally speaking, won't run on Windows 7 in its original state. You can read about it here: http://www.star-force.com/support/users/windows7/

First of all, please, try to do the following:

1) Right-click on the aplication's shortcut, select "Run as administrator";

2) Run the application, install the drivers and do not reboot the PC;

3) Run drivers updater, you can download it here:

http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvup.zip ;

4) Reboot the computer and try to launch the application.

If this doesn't help, then you should contact your product customer support service and ask them to make a patch, which will either update protection system version or remove protection at all.

Unfortunately, we can't build such a patch on our side since we neither have legal authority to produce any patches nor original application files required for that.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

In order to solve compatibility issue on your PC you can uninstall the drivers but note that if the protected application requires a StarForce driver, this driver will be re-installed as soon as you launch the application again.

The following procedure will ensure that all StarForce related components are completely removed from your system.

1. Download the SFREMOVE tool as a ZIP archive: http://www.star-force.com/support/sfdrvrem.zip

2. Extract and store sfdrvrem.exe anywhere on your hard disk.

3. Run sfdrvrem.exe.

Thank you for contacting our support group!

--

Best regards,

Ilya Savenkov

Customer Support Group

StarForce Technologies

The information of this letter is confidential and must not be disclosed to third persons!

I tried all the above with no result. Each time I run the program it corrupts windows 7 and i have to run Windows Restore.

Thanks for your help...much appreciated

West

Not much can be done then - you have one of those rare apps (due to the DRM driver, of course) that just isn't going to run on Windows 7, and given the driver being so old, probably won't run on Vista either.