RT Seven Lite - RC build 1.7.0 and Beta build 2.6.0

azon, I am running RT7Lite under W7, so our results may differ. My temporary folder is here C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp. There is a Documents and Settings folder, but it always yields an Access Denied error if I try to open it. I assume you are running Vista - I have never run it. Does it not do the same thing? If you open a Run Dialog and type %temp%, what path does it generate? Enjoy, John.

As a matter of fact I run W7 too. I only wrote 'Documents and Settings' because I used to in XP. There wasn't Users directory. It was firstly introduced in Vista, while 'Documents and Settings' directory became a hardlink to it. I think you can't access 'Documents and Settings' folder because you're not running under account with admin rights. Nevermind.. This changes nothing.

EDIT: Has any of you tried running Process Explorer to see if some other process has the temp file tied up?

What file? If it hadn't taken so much time to build an image, I would have tried.. It's kinda boring to wait about an hour just to see how it crashes yet another time... :(

Tried to debug but without symbols and/or access to locals it's useless.

I already went through all of this trouble shooting with version 1.0.6 trying to change temp directory and such. Nothing worked. After several weeks of testing I narrowed it down to a option in the "Tweak" section called "Regional Language". I have no idea how this was set to disabled because I'm pretty sure I never changed it to disabled. After changing just this tweak to default the problem went away. I then tried all sorts of other settings and removed nearly every component I could think of and the problem hasn't come back.

It is possible that other tweaks can cause this issue but I know changing this fixed it for me. I kept loading my previous sessions settings so this option kept getting set when trying to test. Let me know if it was set to disabled for you.

I notice that all the posters having this error are trying to access 'Documents and Settings' path. Either RT7Lite is doing this on its own, or possibly the posters have changed some path to include the 'Documents and Settings' path which is going to end in a Access Denied error (true in W7 and I assume in Vista also). If you will navigate to this path, and double click the 'Documents and Settings' folder your will see this. If you have changed the path to the temporary directory to include 'Documents and Settings', for example this would be the result. The error text would imply that RT7Lite is saving a log file. Possibly RT7Lite is referencing this path and therefore it must be corrected there. Enjoy, John.

The operation which the program tries to proceed with at this time is a recursive deletion of its temporary folder.

This temporary directory by default is indeed within User's temp directory, which is in turn within 'Documents and Settings'.

But that's the way it's, and there is nothing to correct.

Nevertheless, I tried to set another short and nice path to temporary directory. Nothing's changed.

My guess that the problem with 'Documents and Settings' within mounted structure. (Which is either hard or soft link to Users directory, and has some specific access rights) Still I can't see why it needs to be deleted...

Ben?

Appoint: I repeated the operation but this time I unchecked the "customization" and the error did not appear. Therefore not be resolved until you can get around this. Now i try the iso on WM (1,4gb x64). I always must delet manually the pending.xml in winsxs otherwise the installation give the error.

Edited by Zumoc

I suspect this means all drivers are being added with the ForceUnsigned switch. I do not think this is a good idea.

Why is this not a good idea?

If a driver is signed then this flag is ignored.

If a driver in unsinged then you would get a popup during your unattended installation if the driver was not integrated with the /ForceUnsigned flag

Granted if you have 1 or 2 of these then its not a problem.But lets talk when you have 60+ pupups during install and you have to manually accept them before install continues.This used to be a major problem for me during the Vista era because i didnt know about the flag.But still even 1 of these popups would halt the unattended install.

Tomorrow, like a lot of other things, people are going to disagree on these types of checks. I think unsigned drivers are not a good idea. The signing was put in by MS to offer some protection against problems. Some people turn off SFC and DEP, but that sounds dangerous to me. I understand your many pop-up during install concern and would avoid that with the application of /ForceUnsigned switch as needed, not on all drivers. Only one of my 8 drivers is unsigned. I am also leaning on the RAID vendor to provide a signed driver. I suspect RT7Lite turns off SFC and sets the Uxtheme patch, but have not seen this spelled out and don't see the options anywhere. Options are provided in nLite, what I am used to using. Thanks for your reply. Enjoy, John.

Signed driver does not automatically mean it's of higher quality than the unsigned one.I've had problems with WHQL drivers whereas the BETA driver have not exhibited the same problem.And sometimes the WHQL is 1:1 with BETA exept it has digital MS certificate.No other differences at all.

I turn off DEP too.It causes instability with Firefox and some other programs and sometimes prevents programs from running normally.Besides its not much help against viruses etc.For that everyone uses AV anyway.

Besides i have some hardware that is simply too old and naturally doesent have WHQL drivers.So i either disable checks or live with unusable piece of hardware?.I think i rather do the first.

This thing is driving me bonkers ...

Using RT Lite Beta 1.0.7 on Windows 7 Pro x64. I've used Advanced Settings and changed just a couple of things which had nothing to do with the Internet as far as I can tell. I've also used "Bare-bones" settings in Services and changed just what's related to Aero and themes.

Now, no Internet connection. The thing I just don't understand is the absence of the Telephony service, I really don't get it.

2j2w2mg.jpg

otoh3s.jpg

Is there anything I could do or do I have to start from scratch again ?

Please Ben, for the life of me, could you provide an option to save LastSession.inf file prior to apply and commit as the application takes ages to complete the process and it sometimes gets stuck for hours and has to be killed manually, needless to say that all is lost then.

PS: Unfortunately, I forgot to save my LastSession file before formatting/installing Win 7 Lite. I would have submitted it then ...

Edited by Win7User

Hmm, I get this msg:

error.ppng.png

But it worked before on x64? huh

Raoul90, it is saying that you DLed the the 32 bit version of RT7Lite and are trying to install on a 64 bit system. Go back to the RT7Lite site and DL the 64 bit version. The versions have been separated into four, for Vista, W7, 32 and 64 bit. Enjoy, John.

ah lol. :P Thanks

Documents and Settings error is a small coding mistake...actually its caused by timing level....I fixed this issue. Monday releasing a patch

Appoint: I repeated the operation but this time I unchecked the "customization" and the error did not appear. Therefore not be resolved until you can get around this. Now i try the iso on WM (1,4gb x64). I always must delet manually the pending.xml in winsxs otherwise the installation give the error.

This time though the "customization" is cleared, it appeared again the error of the framework and at this point I do not understand anything.

Edited by Zumoc

I turn off DEP too.It causes instability with Firefox and some other programs and sometimes prevents programs from running normally.Besides its not much help against viruses etc.For that everyone uses AV anyway.

Besides i have some hardware that is simply too old and naturally doesent have WHQL drivers.So i either disable checks or live with unusable piece of hardware?.I think i rather do the first.

Tomorrow, I think I understand your position and would never criticize what you feel is appropriate for you. I think driver signing is an attempt to prevent later changes to the .sys file by a bad guy. I do have modern HW and was surprised that one of my drivers was unsigned. Enjoy, John.

A few simple questions:

When and under what circumstances is the Last Session file created?

Where is the file created?

Thanks, John.

If you check save current settings....then it will be saved in RT 7 Lite directory. It will be saved once you click finish button

This thing is driving me bonkers ...

Using RT Lite Beta 1.0.7 on Windows 7 Pro x64. I've used Advanced Settings and changed just a couple of things which had nothing to do with the Internet as far as I can tell. I've also used "Bare-bones" settings in Services and changed just what's related to Aero and themes.

Now, no Internet connection. The thing I just don't understand is the absence of the Telephony service, I really don't get it.

2j2w2mg.jpg

otoh3s.jpg

Is there anything I could do or do I have to start from scratch again ?

Please Ben, for the life of me, could you provide an option to save LastSession.inf file prior to apply and commit as the application takes ages to complete the process and it sometimes gets stuck for hours and has to be killed manually, needless to say that all is lost then.

PS: Unfortunately, I forgot to save my LastSession file before formatting/installing Win 7 Lite. I would have submitted it then ...

Update: I guess this one was the culprit. I'm not sure though as I've just had an error ( documents and settings - access denied ) while running RT Lite. The session file is lost, a pain in the ar**.

9kv8zs.jpg

Documents and Settings error is a small coding mistake...actually its caused by timing level....I fixed this issue. Monday releasing a patch

This time though the "customization" is cleared, it appeared again the error of the framework and at this point I do not understand anything.

Hey....its not due to customization or tweaks...its due to winsxs....I fixed that

If you check save current settings....then it will be saved in RT 7 Lite directory. It will be saved once you click finish button

Sorry Ben, I wish this was the case but it's not ( well, not for me to say the least )