RT Seven Lite - RC build 1.7.0 and Beta build 2.6.0

Have you disabled or removed some services?

I only used the Features Removal tab.

Services I removed:

BitLocker Drive Encryption Service

Disk Defragmenter

Offline Files

Parental Controls

Problem Reports and Solutions Control Panel Support

Program Compatibility Assistant Service

Protected Storage

Remove Access Auto Connection Manager

Remove Access Connection Manager

Remote Desktop Configuration

Remote Desktop Services

Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector

Remote Registry

Windows Backup

Windows Biometric Service

Windows Card Space

Windows Defender

Windows Error Reporting

Why do you have removed the service instead disable? I don't remove nothing but only disable. If you disable it can be re-enable but once removed you cannot re-enable. I'm sorry but o don't use a original Messenger but you can repeat the tweak , trying ti disable instead remove. I think that is a good way to resolve or atleast to try.

Services I removed:

Disk Defragmenter

Offline Files

Parental Controls

Protected Storage

Remote Desktop Services

Remote Registry

Windows Backup

Windows Card Space

Windows Defender

Windows Error Reporting

Live Messenger is working for me.

The ones with Green i have disabled or they run manually.Im pretty sure these are not needed for WLM

The Orange one could cause problems for WLM if its removed

The Red ones i have enabled always

Services I removed:

Disk Defragmenter

Offline Files

Parental Controls

Protected Storage

Remote Desktop Services

Remote Registry

Windows Backup

Windows Card Space

Windows Defender

Windows Error Reporting

Live Messenger is working for me.

The ones with Green i have disabled or they run manually.Im pretty sure these are not needed for WLM

The Orange one could cause problems for WLM if its removed

The Red ones i have enabled always

Error Reporting is useless, but removing Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and/or Remote Access Connection Manager is a b*tch. So I recommend you don't remove those two. Additionally, I don't know if it's that good of an idea to remove Protected Storage.

Edited by Guillaume

Additionally, I don't know if it's that good of an idea to remove Protected Storage.

If you remove Protected Storage, software will not remember your passwords. So security-wise, it's a good idea to remove.

All passwords? Like in Opera passwords also? So button "Remember password" will be useless?

I'm going to make my first win7 x64 customization CD and I want to ask you guys if things I want to remove are safe to remove and maybe you have some ideas what else is safe to remove and completely useless.

* This is based on 32-bit ISO image but this week I will received 64-bit operating system. I think the main difference will be that x64 version will have some more services? Ok, here is it:

Pernamently remove:

Accessories --------------

On-Screen Magnifier

Welcome Center

Windows Repair Disc

Drivers ------------------

Intel Corporation

NVIDIA

Creative Technology

TV Tuners

Language Packs ------------

All

Multi-Media ---------------

Sample Music and Videos

Sample Pictures

Screensavers

Network -------------------

Telnet Client

Telnet Server

Services ------------------

Parental Controls

Program Compatibility Assistant Service (can I remove a program, not only a service?)

Remote Registry

Smart Card Removal Policy

Windows Backup

Windows Error Reporting Service

Windows Card Space

System --------------------

Recovery

Tablet PC

Windows Anytime Upgrade

Default features:

Tablet PC Components

Telnet Client

Telnet Server

I'm a regular user. I don't work with any servers or networks. Just connecting to wifi router and browsing internet. Most of time working on MS Word, playing some games from time to time. What do you think I can safely remove then?

Edited by michal_banszel

Maybe no one will respond because you know just what you need or not. . Telnet is NOT a basic function for the operating system. Its removal should not create any problem. Remove the server will prevent that we can connect to your PC using this protocol (improve security) . If you also remove the client, you can not connect to any machine that has a telnet server running.

Maybe no one will respond because you know just what you need or not. . Telnet is NOT a basic function for the operating system. Its removal should not create any problem. Remove the server will prevent that we can connect to your PC using this protocol (improve security) . If you also remove the client, you can not connect to any machine that has a telnet server running.

You are right but I'm talking about some specific stuff for professional or not regular purpose. Things like multimedia stuff are up to my choice but I simply don't know what most of those components do :) That's why I asked for some help in choosing what to remove. As I said before - all I do is playing music, browsing internet, working with MS office and playing some games from time to time.

Anyway thanks for telnet explanation. I will remove it then. And where can I find Program Compatibility Assistant? If I remove the service then the program is useless, right? But I can't find it in the removal components...

Edited by michal_banszel

Watch on http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm you explain what services do and how to choose their operation. RT7 use any presets based on this link. Then once you have created your custom image, you can test it on VMware virtual garage. Even if you do not give a full guarantee of operation on the real physical machine, you will not install operating systems that do not work changed to 100%. Good luck.

Watch on http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm you explain what services do and how to choose their operation. RT7 use any presets based on this link. Then once you have created your custom image, you can test it on VMware virtual garage. Even if you do not give a full guarantee of operation on the real physical machine, you will not install operating systems that do not work changed to 100%. Good luck.

Thanks for the link. Is there something similar to this but about components because I wasn't thinking about services actually writing my previous post :)

Ben: Can you unlock the search service from the search "feature?" This way, the search function and search tab in folder options would still be operable, but you could have the option of disabling the search service in order that indexing does not take place. As it is, it is impossible to disable the search service if the search feature is enabled. Thank you!

Edited by Bilar Crais

All passwords? Like in Opera passwords also? So button "Remember password" will be useless?

Correct.

Nope. I suspect that only passwords stored in windows credential manager will not be saved. i.e credential manager won't work.

Opera passwords and other password storages implemented by third-party have nothing to do with protected storage.