RT Seven Lite - RC build 1.7.0 and Beta build 2.6.0

Though I've only just started looking at it, RT7Lite looks really good. I'm hoping you won't mind a couple of questions as I get started...

For years I've used my XP Unattended installers to install XP on many different machines (work related), including drivers, apps, etc.. It seems like RT7Lite would be the way to do the same for Windows 7.

I've currently set up a Windows 7 deployment share from my server, but it doesn't seem like the right fit for my scenario (multiple machines for different people, using different versions of Windows all the time, and often installing multiple copies of XP at the same time).

I'd like to use flash drives for installation of Win7, making for (hopefully) a quick edit of the unattended setup file each time (though I expect to use RT7Lite from time to time to update the installation sources).

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping you RT7Lite veterans can answer:

1 - Do I need a separate installation source for each image, or can I use one source for all x64 and one source for all x86 sources, as long as I edit the unattended file to reflect the version I want to install?

2 - Do you see RT7Lite as being a good solution for my situation (multiple installs of multiple versions of Win7 for multiple end users), or do you see any problems with this scenario? Will I be able to simply edit the text file before the majority of installations? Any problems with that scenario?

Thanks for any direction/advice/hints you can give me. I appreciate RT7Lite and hope to use it for a long time to come. :)

Hello - im new suprise suprise .

my new laptop arrives tomorrow and i wanted to customise my win 7 ultmate cd so i could get sp1 in it and my key code save me hastle only problem is i used this and all that happens is it wont save image and it wont burn it goes 100percent in 2 seconds and nothing happens .

im also copying win 7 cd using imageburn to computer and its saying no boot file am i doing something wrong

thanks in advance

j

Edited by jartok

Another component that you shouldn't remove: Drivers => System => BLB Drive. If you remove it, Windows will complain at every logon about inability to install that driver.

In addition, with my latest .inf file (attached), RT Se7en Lite removes %windir%\System32\icm32.dll, one of the dependencies of Windows Photo Viewer. Does anyone know which component that file belongs to? Maybe that file should be automatically kept if the user wants to keep WPV...

kaikki3.inf

Thanks for the replies, I managed to make an OS only self installing DVD, now I was trying to automatically install Office 2010, 7-zip and adobe reader but the only one I was able to install was 7-zip. The office was not installed because the only file that was put in the image was the setup.exe... How can I tell RT Seven Lite to put in the DVD ISO all the office related files?

You can make SFX files and add your programs with RT Se7en Lite!

Help:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/101552-7z-sfx-modified-module-and-tools/

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143665-how-to-unnatended-office-2010-and-make-it-lite/page__st__40

• 2 weeks later...

Is development stopped on this software? It has'nt been updated with six months.

More like queuened or paused.Bensam hasnt annouced that he has stopped.Thankfully latest versions work so there is no desperate need for a new release.

With my original Windows 7 CD I have possibility to choose system language at the beginning of the installation. Yesterday I used RT 7 lite to integrate SP1 + remove some components. I didn't touch any unattended settings but now in the installation process I can't choose any other system language but English. So I entered RT 7 lite again and market unattended settings. I went to "regional" tab but still the only language I can select there is English. What's wrong?

Thanks

Edited by michal_banszel

Is development stopped on this software? It has'nt been updated with six months.

More like queuened or paused.Bensam hasnt annouced that he has stopped.Thankfully latest versions work so there is no desperate need for a new release.

Exactly, version 3.0 RC is underway but benjamin is not getting enough time to complete it.

http://www.rtwincustomize.net/web/index.php?/topic/8283-rt-seven-lite-v30-rc-upcoming-version-changelog/

With my original Windows 7 CD I have possibility to choose system language at the beginning of the installation. Yesterday I used RT 7 lite to integrate SP1 + remove some components. I didn't touch any unattended settings but now in the installation process I can't choose any other system language but English. So I entered RT 7 lite again and market unattended settings. I went to "regional" tab but still the only language I can select there is English. What's wrong?

Thanks

Ok I found the issue. When doing tweaks or un-attended changes all is fine. All languages are are possible to choose during initial setup. To problem appears when some feature is removed, even if it's not a language. For example I removed TV Tuners drivers and Remote Registry and now no more possible to choose any other language in the initial setup but English. So using "Features Removal" is broken here.

Any solution?

Edited by michal_banszel

Using this software at this stage of developement is pointless. As I can see there is absolutely no support, bugs are not solved. Apart of the system ui missing languages in the initial setup there is also issue with slipstreaming. After slipstreaming with SP1 I got the following error in the installer:

"Windows could not set the offline locale information. Error code: 0x80000001"

Ok after some attempts I think where is the issue.

My Windows 7 version comes from DELL. It's English OS version but it contains additional languages .cab files in languages folder on the CD. I guess that during the installation process the selected language is written to the installed system. So if I slipstreamned SP1 before then there is issue when system wants to install additional language over system with SP1. So I decided to:

1. Take my language .cab file and integrate it with OS manually (manually meaning before system installation but I did it of course with RT 7 Lite)

2. Slipstream SP1

I hope it will work this way :)

Edited by michal_banszel

there more than likely will not be a new version. Bensam just stopped showing up at his site and here with no word as to why. it is my opinion that he got burned out just as Nuhi did with vlite and nlite.

3rd party WIM's are NOT supported.And why bother integrating SP1?.Just download ISO that has it already integrated by MS.It's much cleaner and simpler that way.

Then you can easily integrate your language pack into that and start removing components.

there more than likely will not be a new version. Bensam just stopped showing up at his site and here with no word as to why. it is my opinion that he got burned out just as Nuhi did with vlite and nlite.

He probably got tired because of people pestering him everyday.

I haven't read this thread for months. Does removing components from a clean windows 7 with sp1 pre integrated from msdn work?

Edited by boogerlad

He probably got tired because of people pestering him everyday.

I haven't read this thread for months. Does removing components from a clean windows 7 with sp1 pre integrated from msdn work?

boy, you are a barrel of laughs!!!!! you admit to not reading this thread for months then come in and make statement like that. real insightful Einstein

I didn't bother reading this thread because all I saw was "when will bensam release v3.0? Has he abandoned this project, etc." It's hard to find actual answers without digging multiple pages, so I just stopped. Now that I read through 10 pages or so, I can't find any clear answers.

Edited by boogerlad