RT Seven Lite - RC build 1.7.0 and Beta build 2.6.0

i find it funny that bens project has surpassed the couple other ones currently being worked on. i just made image with this and love all the extra things you can remove and tweak with his. now to see if the others ones follow suite with their development.

I'll never test a tool which requires turning off UAC :whistle:

A lot of the rest of us are confident we can handle our own PC by ourselves. Run a good firewall / anti-virii and keep a good backup, I prefer Acronis. MS made that so simply annoying.

This is my PC not Microsofts

UAC is a security in depth measure, not meant to be an annoyance. Consider su on a Unix system, when running as a non-admin user. UAC is basically the Windows amalgamation of that - integrity levels on processes, sandboxing in the browser, and the like. It's not really meant for those of us who would run a system as an administrator, but none of us do that in this day and age, right?

* Change temporary directory

Would this be the temp folder for windows or the temp folder for the 7Lite tool?

Fingers crossed it for the 7Lite tool coz I don't have 20GB free space on C drive :)

The error I posted above I guess doesn't have to do with the build being Enterprise version. I rebuilt the image by removing almost no components, just speech and help files and did no tweaks this time and the build compiled fine. Just had problems with the install, it doesn't accept my valid key for unattended install which I believe is the fault of the Enterprise version.

One thing I don't quite understand is the default programs off to the write when removing components. How does that work with the list of actual components on the left?

I'll never test a tool which requires turning off UAC :whistle:

I would not touch UAC with a 10 foot pole even if my life depended on it :whistle:

* Change temporary directory

Would this be the temp folder for windows or the temp folder for the 7Lite tool?

Fingers crossed it for the 7Lite tool coz I don't have 20GB free space on C drive :)

Thats for 7Lite i believe.

Anyway very nice changes Ben and keep it up :thumbup

sorry Ben but this must be said about UAC

sorry, you don't understand the sense of the UAC:

From a user which is here for 6 years, I've expected more knowledge :rolleyes:

Thats exactly what I have is more of that than the average user

Has anyone ever seen that movie Idiocracy (2006) http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Kinda stupid and a little funny but I watched it one night and then I started thinking about the plot behind it but was already thinking these things with the 'Toyota Way' (which we don't hear no more for some unknown reason) out at work which is why the title caught my eye. The dumbing down of the world to an id*** level. Jeez I look around and thats what I am seeing. :w00t: :w00t:

Thats exactly what UAC is, I'm too stupid to maintain MY own computer? Here's your sign, wear it around your neck so when you are in the midst of Hard core Users we know who you are. I am in to Unattending and it's basically what all these programs do here is modify things so MY computer does what I want it to do, not what someone else thinks it should do. Thats for them users who shouldn't own a PC cause they can't update their Virus protection when it run's out, no clue. Firewall what is that? Backup uhhhh? I've seen too many of them

UAC is a security in depth measure, not meant to be an annoyance. Consider su on a Unix system, when running as a non-admin user. UAC is basically the Windows amalgamation of that - integrity levels on processes, sandboxing in the browser, and the like. It's not really meant for those of us who would run a system as an administrator, but none of us do that in this day and age, right?

Know all those things and have Sandboxie here, also VM with no Internet for testing that is.

I also don't use the Administrator account(which is password protected) cause I know that that might get me out of a bind in some cases.

I'm a PC geek, yes I admit it :blushing: out at work they can make me do them things but here at home

The UAC is off, but I can be back in 5 minutes if I think something went wrong.

EDIT: And I'm going to trust Microsoft with all these things where we know by hard core experience that they can't

Edited by maxXPsoft

UAC which is from Microsoft is a best thing but not all of them like that. I can change the manifest settings but everytime you have to run the app as administrator. Its upto the users hand whether they like it or not.

@ gusdi12 : You can change the RT 7 Lite temp directory only not system temp directory.

1.04 will be released on Saturday.

1.04 will be released on Saturday.

I was planning on trying to build my disk again this afternoon, but it looks like i'll be waiting for Saturday so that I can upgrade. Thanks for the heads up.

Oh, and one feature request: Could we please get the services list to be alphabetized in the tweaks section in the 1.04 release as well? That is the only thing about RT 7 Lite that has annoyed me after I got it running.

Thanks

Edited by JeremyPureOC

i built my image with the version out now and removed UAC completely with it :rolleyes: as well as security center, windows defender and the windows firewall. i run behind a hardware firewall so i do not need extra protection

I can change the manifest settings but everytime you have to run the app as administrator.

do this! Inside the setup you can create a task inside the taskscheduler and create a shortcut to run your tool with elevated rights. Read here how to do this:

Currently, your tool can't be run when UAC is on and this is a blocker, where I never, ever test a software.

Why don't you have a testbed like most of us? Hell even a VM installation. I understand UAC and what it is for but it is a HUGE pain in the a** especially when testing software.

My opinion? Yes it would be nice to add it running as an admin. (Might get a bigger user base)

HOWEVER, this and other software (vLite, 7customizer, Win7Toolkit (The legit one)) Personally should ALWAYS be run from an admin account with AV turned off. Granted this does expose some risk BUT lots of these apps set off AV's anyways and get slowed down or even blocked by AV's because of their nature and what they are maede to do.

I commonly run these from a test bed that has the internet disabled and never keep sensitive info on it.

Take for instance the new imgburn. Spyware\adware EVERYWHERE in it. Boy was I taken for suprise! But luckily I tested it one my testbed before using on my other pc's.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian