I've done a lot of research about windows 7 unattended installation, and a month before, I was able to make an unattended windows 7 DVD including
useful apps, device drivers, a lot of registry tweaks, brandings, some really cool themes, and the most anticipated windows dreamscene.
I'm posting the proceedings here just in text format, without any screenshots or attachments, if someone becomes interested, I'll post them later.
What We Need:
a) an untouched windows 7 DVD
resource editing software like reshack, restuner etc.
c) WAIK for windows 7
e) .net framework 4 beta 2
f) vmware or virtualbox for testing
g) any burning software
1. Copy all contents of the DVD to your local hard disk, for instance we assume it's D:\w7.
2. Download and install resource editor or pe explorer.
3. Download & install waik for windows 7.
4. Download gimagex for windows 7, extract it copy gimagex.exe in the same directory of imagex.exe.
5. Run gimagex, in the mount tab select a mount location(no prob what directory to be chosen), then browse to D:\w7\sources select install.wim as the wim source check the box "read and write", then go to your mount location, you will find a folder named windows, for branding you have to modify the following files-
a) explorer.exe for the start orb (you may download some stylish orbs from the net), open explorer.exe with pe explorer under section bitmap replace the 6801, 6805 & 6809 resource with your orb
%mountlocation%\windows\system32\bootstr.dll also %mountlocation%\windows\system32\en-US\bootstr.dll.mui
c) %mountlocation%\windows\system32\imageres.dll you have to modify this for login screen
d) %mountlocation%\windows\branding\basebrd\basebrd.dll also %mountlocation%\windows\branding\basebrd\en-US\basebrd.dll.mui
6. If you want to add themes copy them to %mountlocation%\windows\resources\themes also you have to copy patched uxtheme.dll to the directory previously stated.
7. Go to gimagex check the box "commit changes", select your wim file then click unmount.
8. Make an iso file by using the command-
"%systemroot%\program files\windows aik\tools\x86\oscdimg -lW7DVD -h -n -m -bD:\w7\boot\etfsboot.com d:\w7 d:\w7.iso"
your iso file should be saved as d:\w7.iso.
9. Install any virtual machine, I strongly recommend using vmware (I'll tell you why we don't use a secondary partition on the later part of this post).
a. For vmware, install it, run it, from the menu select create new virtual machine.
b. You have to choose these settings, number of processors: 2, RAM: 512 MB, virtual hard disk: 60 GB.
c. From the advanced menu for virtual hard disk, select Independent & Persistence.
d. From the cd-dvd choise, select "use iso image".
10. Select d:\w7.iso as the iso source.
11. Create a virtual hard disk with 60 gb of size.
12. Start your machine, windows installation will be started normally, accept license, and then create two partitions.
13. Windows setup will complete the process and will give you a page where you can enter your product key, do not type anything just press ctrl+shift+f3 which will reboot your pc to audit mode and a default sysprep window will appear, do not close this.
14. Install your necessary applications, reboot if necessary, apply registry tweaks, note that registry keys having value "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" won't work, you have to run them via setupcomplete.cmd.
15. On the sysprep window select Enter system out of box experience, select shutdown and then run sysprep.
16. I suggest using vmware as this gives v2p (virtual to physical) feature, mount your virtual hard disk with the drive letter z:
17. Click start-windows aik tools command prompt type
imagex /compress fast /check /flags "Ultimate" /capture z: d:\install.wim "Windows 7 Ultimate" "Windows 7 Ultimate x86"
note that "Ultimate" is flag and it may vary according to your windows 7 version
18. Now you have a wim file as D:\install.wim replace D:\w7\sources\install.wim with this one.
19. Download and install winintegrator (it requires .net framework 4 beta 2 to be installed).
20. Run winintegrator, select your location of windows 7 media such as D:\w7.
21. You can integrate drivers (can be downloaded from driverpacks.net), remove unnecessary packages via winintegrator (but once you have finished removing packages these can never be added).
22. Create an autounattended.xml file following my attachments (I've done this to cover product key check).
23. Copy this autounattended.xml file to D:\w7.
24. Make an iso image of your windows 7 installation files using commands we used at step 8.
25. Burn this iso image to a DVD, then you will get your unattended DVD!!!
N.B. We can't use a secondary partition such as D:\ as we will have some problem with some software because of this. Specially if you install windows on partition D:\, and install programs that make directory D:\MSOCache then whenever you imaged your pc, make an unattended DVD, setup windows on partition C:\ by this DVD, you will face problems.
a) windows aik: http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en
pe explorer: http://www.heaventools.com/download-pe-explorer.htm
c) win integrator: http://forum.driverp...c.php?pid=35940
d) .net framework 4 beta 2: http://www.microsoft...73-2171b61fe982
e) vmware: http://www.softpedia...nload-5341.html
f) gimagex: http://www.autoitscript.com/gimagex/
g) necessary driverpacks: http://driverpacks.net/
h) uxtheme patcher for 7 RTM (you have to use it at audit mode): http://rapidshare.co...r--x86.rar.html
Number of downloads: 722
Number of downloads: 575
And that's the end, if you have problems post it here, I'll try to resolve them.
This post has been edited by computerguru: 17 April 2010 - 08:56 AM
Reason for edit: removed poll