How to solve Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008 FIX

Well Folks every guy who has Seagate 7200.11 & having problem must have read the very ultra famouse Gradius post and yes thats the right one which solves the issue ...

But there are lot of people ( WolfDie, mrkimrkonja, jackcaver)within the same post who tried Gradius solution and still had the error "Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008"

Even I had the same error but I saw something else on some other posts and finally came to conclusion that to solve the issue it requires more than cleaning the contact ... yes cleaning the contact is the real solution but how to clean those contacts

I mean it CLEANING THE CONTACT IS THE REAL SOLUTION But how to do that ( Ithink pichi or somebody else tried to CRY out that cleaning the contact is the real solution and it was )..

1. You must have ur sister's or girlfriend's nail polish thinner and a needle..

Deep the cotton bud generously in the thinner and then apply it on the head contacts on HDD circuit board post-283604-126850150341_thumb.jpgso that there is thin layer of thinner. Keep this for abt minute before the thinner gets evaporated apply another layer of thinner continue this 3-4 times and then using the needle gently scratch the contacts you should see the NEW SHINING in the contact post scracthing them...Rub off all the thinner and apply the thinner again and brush it gently using the cotton bud ...

Post this apply thinnner for the head contacts on HDD post-283604-126850160232_thumb.jpg.. but out here u need to just brush it .. take care that the thinner doesnt enters the spring gaps on head contact on HDD

Dry the ciruit and HDD for 1/2 n hour and try the entire GRADIUS solution again () it should work,

Even if this doesnt works then u shld the check the connectivity on the ciruit board to nearest circuit element (capacitor, resistor etc.)

• 4 weeks later...

I tried your cleaning contacts with isypropl alcohol and scraping and still get this error message

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 7 mins 27 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

any other suggestions???

Well Folks every guy who has Seagate 7200.11 & having problem must have read the very ultra famouse Gradius post and yes thats the right one which solves the issue ...

But there are lot of people ( WolfDie, mrkimrkonja, jackcaver)within the same post who tried Gradius solution and still had the error "Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008"

Even I had the same error but I saw something else on some other posts and finally came to conclusion that to solve the issue it requires more than cleaning the contact ... yes cleaning the contact is the real solution but how to clean those contacts

I mean it CLEANING THE CONTACT IS THE REAL SOLUTION But how to do that ( Ithink pichi or somebody else tried to CRY out that cleaning the contact is the real solution and it was )..

1. You must have ur sister's or girlfriend's nail polish thinner and a needle..

Deep the cotton bud generously in the thinner and then apply it on the head contacts on HDD circuit board post-283604-126850150341_thumb.jpgso that there is thin layer of thinner. Keep this for abt minute before the thinner gets evaporated apply another layer of thinner continue this 3-4 times and then using the needle gently scratch the contacts you should see the NEW SHINING in the contact post scracthing them...Rub off all the thinner and apply the thinner again and brush it gently using the cotton bud ...

Post this apply thinnner for the head contacts on HDD post-283604-126850160232_thumb.jpg.. but out here u need to just brush it .. take care that the thinner doesnt enters the spring gaps on head contact on HDD

Dry the ciruit and HDD for 1/2 n hour and try the entire GRADIUS solution again () it should work,

Even if this doesnt works then u shld the check the connectivity on the ciruit board to nearest circuit element (capacitor, resistor etc.)

No the drive is just making a short buzz noise about every 10 secs..... yes I have cleaned the contacts to the motor and the heads

Can you hear the drive spinning up?

Have you also cleaned the motor-contacts? :ph34r:

It sounds like either:

1. The drive-motor is stuck.
    Gentry tap the side of drive with the handle-end of a screwdriver while
    power to the drive is applied and listen if it starts spinning.
  2. The motor-driver on the PCB is broken.
    Chances are you won't be able to repair the PCB yourself, so you're out
    of luck here...
  3. One of the motor-pins is bent and isn't able touch the pads on the PCB.

Just some wild guesses... :angel

Greetz,

Peter.

Autotek,

Apologize for delayed response, wht video ripper is saying could be there,

* The motor-driver on the PCB is broken. --------------- yes this could be the case ... you need to understand that this error is thrown only in the case when head contacts (HDD & PCB) are not making connection, Said that I would suggest u to make this connection in any possible way either by making solder or creating a separate connector and join the pcb and HDD head contacts ...

* One of the motor-pins is bent and isn't able touch the pads on the PCB. --- I doubt this could be the case ... but I would suggest u try this even by making some method of solder or using separate wires ..

I guarantee u tht this issue is solely due to connection not available between HDD & PCB contacts ... if u make the connection issue is solved...

• 1 month later...

I tried your cleaning contacts with isypropl alcohol and scraping and still get this error message

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008

Spin Error

Elapsed Time 7 mins 27 secs

R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

any other suggestions???

Hi Autotek,

Please check my post in Gradius2's thread to see if there's anything there to help you out.

I was in a similar situation and somehow managed to recover my data (with some luck). However the the solution was NOT cleaning the contacts and neither was my logic board broken as I was able to test it on an identical drive and vice versa with the same results.

Cheers

Edited by 93360

• 1 year later...

Hi

I'd like to contribute.

I was faced with "Error 1009 DETSEC 0000600" and clicking sound.

The solution was to carefully clean the contacts with isopropyl alcohol and re-try. After all I was able to recover the drive.

Edited by omppuhauki

• 1 year later...

Thank you for the information!

I also had the "Error 1009 DETSEC 0000600". A quick fix for me was to simply place a piece of cardboard on top of the PCB (to shield from any electrical discharge) near where the head contacts are and apply some gentle pressure with my finger then try the spin up command again. That allowed me to restore the drive, though the clean may help prevent any further problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I have exact problem with my baracuda.

I checked motor contacts to pcb (assembled pcb on hdd case) with multimeter/ measuring resistance and seems good - 0,15ohms. But error presented in this topic is still there. So i assume hdd have problems with motor.

Hello. I have exact problem with my baracuda.

I checked motor contacts to pcb (assembled pcb on hdd case) with multimeter/ measuring resistance and seems good - 0,15ohms. But error presented in this topic is still there. So i assume hdd have problems with motor.

Basically this error means "the motor has received a spinup command but it does not spin".

As seen above this can be caused by failing contacts (and I cannot see how exactly you are testing them, in any case make sure they are clean).

On spin up a DC motor will attemp to draw a lot of power and - just for the record - it can be DANGEROUS for the integrity of the electronic components on the PCB when the contacts are not good as some overcurrent can be created, but before hypotizing a serious malfunctioning of the motor the issue could be caused by simple "stiction".

It is not rare, particularly with disks that have been not powered up for a long time.

In some cases keeping the disk vertical when spinning up is enough to "free" the motor.

If nothing changes, next advice is to attempt some light "percussive maintenance".

Put under the disk (still vertical) some thick cloth or a rubber pad (like a mouse pad, the thick, gummy type).

Leave a corner of the hard disk (on the side where connectors are, i.e. opposite to where the patters/motors are) lying on the pad and use it as hinge.

Lift the other side a couple of centimeters and when you issue the spinup command, let it fall on the pad.

jaclaz

• 1 month later...

Hi! Hope someone can reply to my questions. I have read everything and eve the "Read me First" section. I have done every step carefully. The drive is spining when I turn it on and stops spining in a few seconds. I have tried both metods of cardboard, on the motor and on the head contacs one at a time and even simultaneously and always got the f***** Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008 Spin Error Elapsed Time 7 mins 27 secs R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180. My HDD is the Maxtor DiamondMax 22 STM3500320AS Firmware MX15. The system reports it as 0MB as following pictures. I really dont know what else could I do. Does anyone know what to do? Tks/Ivan

post-271222-0-62427800-1362373101_thumb.

post-271222-0-10916900-1362373121_thumb.

Hi! Hope someone can reply to my questions. I have read everything and eve the "Read me First" section. I have done every step carefully. The drive is spining when I turn it on and stops spining in a few seconds. I have tried both metods of cardboard, on the motor and on the head contacs one at a time and even simultaneously and always got the f***** Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008 Spin Error Elapsed Time 7 mins 27 secs R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180. My HDD is the Maxtor DiamondMax 22 STM3500320AS Firmware MX15. The system reports it as 0MB as following pictures. I really dont know what else could I do. Does anyone know what to do? Tks/Ivan

No.

Meaning that you may have read everything, but COMPLETELY FAILED to follow the instructions/guides.

That disk is suffering from LBA0 ( and NOT BSY) and there is (was) NO NEED whatsoever to detach the PCB from the disk drive (nor use the cardboard on EITHER of the head or motor contacts).

As said in the post just over yours, all you can try to do is:

1. verify the contacts (check if they were "flattened" by using a "too thick" cardboard)
  2. clean them (as in the first post of this thread)
  3. make sure you have re-tightened correctly the screws

Basically, when the disk is powered it has an "automatic" spin up.

This does not necessarily mean that all contacts are OK, it only means that the + and - to the motor (power line) are OK, the contacts providing feedback to the controller may be not touching or oxidized and thus the error.

Of course it is possible that *something else* is bad in the PCB :ph34r: , but finding and fixing this is outside the DIY field.

jaclaz

No.

Meaning that you may have read everything, but COMPLETELY FAILED to follow the instructions/guides.

That disk is suffering from LBA0 ( and NOT BSY) and there is (was) NO NEED whatsoever to detach the PCB from the disk drive (nor use the cardboard on EITHER of the head or motor contacts).

As said in the post just over yours, all you can try to do is:

1. verify the contacts (check if they were "flattened" by using a "too thick" cardboard)
  2. clean them (as in the first post of this thread)
  3. make sure you have re-tightened correctly the screws

Basically, when the disk is powered it has an "automatic" spin up.

This does not necessarily mean that all contacts are OK, it only means that the + and - to the motor (power line) are OK, the contacts providing feedback to the controller may be not touching or oxidized and thus the error.

Of course it is possible that *something else* is bad in the PCB :ph34r: , but finding and fixing this is outside the DIY field.

jaclaz

Jaclaz I did follow the instructions. When not removing the PCB board off the HDD and trying to run the process at F3 T> m0,2,2,,,,22, I get the LED:000000CE FAddr:00280569 error. That's why I had tried the other option, but no success at the spin up process. I will re-check the contacts and clean them again. I'll let you know. Tks.

I re-checked the connectors, they are ok. I also cleaned them up just in case. I run the process as follows:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

Error 1008 DETSEC 0000500E Process Defect List Error

R/W Sense 00000002, R/W Error 841C0087, List Offset 00000000, File Error 00000001.

What this could be?

Edited by igirao

Jaclaz I did follow the instructions. When not removing the PCB board off the HDD and trying to run the process at F3 T> m0,2,2,,,,22, I get the LED:000000CE FAddr:00280569 error. That's why I had tried the other option, but no success at the spin up process. I will re-check the contacts and clean them again. I'll let you know. Tks.

You see ;), by applying torture :w00t::ph34r: I managed to have you report what happened before , THAT error is often caused by a timing problem, see:

Just for the record, in some cases changing level from which the Z command is issued solves the matter:

Hopefully by re-checking and cleaning contacts you will be able to overcome this issue ;).

jaclaz