Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unusual memory issue - SOLVED -

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts
Hi everybody My build is made of a ICH7-P31 mobo and 2GB ram installed. However when I first installed Win98SE (using most of the switches foud here My link)I only used a single 512MB module just to make things easier. After that I installed SP2.1, placed the 2x1GB modules and everything was working just great, not a problem. Since I started installing softwares (mostly cd burning stuff and Ofiice XP+SP3) I noticed the system became unstable, i experienced many freezes and more importantly I'm unable to boot into safe mode. If I hit F8 abd select "Safe mode" I get this message:

Insufficient memory to initialize Windows. Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT files, and restart your computer.

I made a bit of research obviously. I played around with settings I found in this threads: One Two Three Four but nothing fixed it I can start Windows normally no prob, but I guess the fact I can't get into safe mode isn't exactly a good sign? any help appreciated :hello:

Edited by krelian, 19 April 2010 - 11:55 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 803 posts

Donator

My own personal experience with more than 512MB of RAM has led me to believe there is only one "good" solution - buy rloew's RAM patch. Before doing so I tried some of the other methods described in those threads you referenced, including the Unofficial Service Pack, and my system either would not boot with more than 512MB of RAM, or was unstable.

Maybe some of the other members can help you if you wish to experiment further with the free methods. You should post exactly which methods you have tried, and what the results of each experiment were so they will know how to advise you. :)

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

You're far from having an "unusual" memory issue... And to access Safe Mode, some tweaks are needed.
I never said that running 9x/ME with > 1 GiB RAM for free is a walk in the park!
But I cannot help you on the meagre info you provided.
Post a machine configuration like those you can see in post #2 of the > 1 GiB RAM thread.
And attach, don't post, a zip file containing your AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI.
Then we can try to help you do it.

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts
Hi
well for starters I installed xeno86's Vcache fix, then followed dencorso's step-by-step guide to remove ACPI
Then I literally spent A MONTH playing in the system.ini and trying any possible combination gathered from the many threads I have read on the subject.....still nothing
The weird ting I could actually boot into safe mode when first installed, I must have installed something that messed things up

I didn't know about that RAM patch. I'm really tempted to purchase it

thanks a lot for your time :hello:

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts

You're far from having an "unusual" memory issue... And to access Safe Mode, some tweaks are needed.
I never said that running 9x/ME with > 1 GiB RAM for free is a walk in the park!
But I cannot help you on the meagre info you provided.
Post a machine configuration like those you can see in post #2 of the > 1 GiB RAM thread.
And attach, don't post, a zip file containing your AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI.
Then we can try to help you do it.

here we go
autoexec.bat is empty though, this I really don't undestand
take your time anyway
Euro zone here and I'm just leaving for work.....
I really appreciate it, thank you very much

edit:
it seems I'm unable to upload files, I'll sort it out later
sorry for the confusion

Edited by krelian, 31 March 2010 - 07:43 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

Maybe the attachment system is disabled on this forum. It's happened before.
Can any of you all confirm it? If that's the case I'll see to it that it gets reenabled.
Please chime in.

@krelian: instead of attaching uploade the zip to rapidshare or uploaded.to and post the link here.
Don't forget to provide the machine's hardware info. When I have that, after musing over it some,
I'll suggest you something. Meanwhile, do create a bootable CD or floppy with memtest86+ and run it
continuously for at least 12h, to see whether your machine's RAM is OK.

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts

Maybe the attachment system is disabled on this forum. It's happened before.
Can any of you all confirm it? If that's the case I'll see to it that it gets reenabled.
Please chime in.

@krelian: instead of attaching uploade the zip to rapidshare or uploaded.to and post the link here.
Don't forget to provide the machine's hardware info. When I have that, after musing over it some,
I'll suggest you something. Meanwhile, do create a bootable CD or floppy with memtest86+ and run it
continuously for at least 12h, to see whether your machine's RAM is OK.

heh
I guess the problem was with Win98 itself. I'm now on my WinXP partition and could upload the file no problem.
I will run memtest meanwhile

Memory: 2 GiB RAM (DDRII-800 - 2x 2 GiB Corsair XMS2)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G
CPU: Pentium Dual E6500
Video card: Ati Radeon X550 (256 MB; PCIe)

thanks again

Attached Files

Edited by krelian, 31 March 2010 - 07:43 AM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

Let's start by doing some changes to your config.sys, and observing what happens:

1)Since you don't use EMM386.EXE (neither do I), there can be no UMBs nor EMS. So substitute:
"dos=high,umb" by "dos=high" and "devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048" by "device=ramdrive.sys /E 2048"

2)However, ramdrive.sys is a very limited ramdrive, so let's use XMSDSK. So substitute:
"device=ramdrive.sys /E 2048" by "INSTALL=XMSDSK.EXE 2048 /C1 /T /Y"
You'll need to have XMSDSK.EXE at the root directory of the boot disk or if you prefer to have it elsewhere:
"INSTALL=<path>\XMSDSK.EXE 2048 /C1 /T /Y", where <path> must be substituted be the actual path to XMSDSK

and

3)Let's use HIMEMX.EXE, instead of himem.sys. So substitute:
"device=himem.sys /testmem:off" by "device=himemx.exe /testmem:off"
You'll need to have himemx.exe at the root directory of the boot disk or if you prefer to have it elsewhere:
"device=<path>\himemx.exe /testmem:off", where <path> must be substituted be the actual path to himemex

Here's a good reference for MS-DOS 7 Commands, in case you ever need one and links to get HIMEMX and XMSDSK are findable in the 1st post of the > 1 GiB RAM thread.

Do all three changes at the same time, test how your system behaves and let me know.

Our next move will be to solve the "Safe Mode" issue, but first we should establish that the modifications I just suggested either make your system more generally stable or, at least, do not render it less stable.

Good luck!

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts
right, sorry for late, I have been w/out internet connection for a few days.

I did test both modules for 12hrs. No errors
Since I tested a module per time in slot 0, I tried to boot WIn98 with a single memory module, before even touching the config.sys and ta-da....I could boot into safe mode no problem.
When both modules were placed I got again that "Insufficient memory" error.

I made all the changes in config.sys but nothing changed IF both memory modules are inserted

couple of things (probably obvious):
1)Config.sys and autoexec.bat options are empty in the msconfig utility and at root.
Those that I put in the zip file are located in C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD

2) XMSDSK.EXE only works if I reboot in real DOS mode. If I try to access it via command line I get this message:
"XMSDSK.EXE driver not loaded. Can't load it: running under Windows. "

3) device=himemx.sys /testmem:off
is present 2 times in config.sys under both [NOCD] and [HELP]
I substituted both by himex.exe

4) if I access himem.sys (notepad) i can see this error:
"ERROR: HIMEM.SYS has detected unreliable XMS memory at address $5To continue starting your computer, press ENTER."

muito, muito obrigado

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

1) you need to have a non-empty config.sys to be able to work with minimal reliability with > 1 GiB RAM
2) the config.sys must be in the root directory of the boot partition.
3) it has to have a line for HIMEMX.EXE (*NOT HIMEMX.SYS) or it'll use HIMEM.SYS by default.
4) HIMEMX.EXE and XMSDISK.EXE should be loaded from config.sys, not from the command line
5) to access "Safe Mode" with > 1 GiB RAM you'll need both the VCache.VxD modded by Xeno86 and xRayeR's patch to IO.SYS.
6) I'm trying to help you, but if you omit information (like the fact you were offering us the configuration files from C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD, which are irrelevant here, instead of making it clear you had no config.sys on the root directory or that it was an empty file), then what is already not very easy becomes impossible to do.

Usher

Usher

• 43 posts

5) to access "Safe Mode" with > 1 GiB RAM you'll need both the VCache.VxD modded by Xeno86 and xRayeR's patch to IO.SYS.

Are you sure? Did you read my posts about system.cb in safe mode? They are here: http://www.msfn.org/...de-t142953.html
If my solution works for safe mode, it can be more useful than binary patches.
Andrzej P. Wozniak

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

Are you sure? Did you read my posts about system.cb in safe mode? They are here: http://www.msfn.org/...de-t142953.html

@Usher: I've read it, rest assured. Your solution may well work. I have not tested it, nor can do it easily, because nowadays I use the RAM Limitation Patch, which I deem the best solution. It gives the system much more stability than any of the free solutions and access to all the RAM. Since I've got no experience with your method, I cannot recommend it, although this does not mean I'm implying it doesn't work. I simply never tried it, and, as far as I know, nobody else did, since you posted it. But I'm willing to add your thread and your machine to the > 1 GiB list, provided you PM me the description of your system, in the lines of the descriptions of the machines already listed there.

But using xRayeR's patch is very reliable, and has been thoroughly tested by many users.
Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD and xRayeR's modded IO.SYS are perfectly safe, there's no need to be paranoid about them, and they obviate a lot of work.
I recommend doing the following (read this as a Mini How-To), which works for both Normal and Safe Modes:

1) Adding a "MaxPhysPage=48000", without the inverted commas to the [386Enh] section of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI
2) Installing Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD (after this, usually, no MaxFileCache line is needed in SYSTEM.INI)
3) Adding HIMEMX.EXE to C:\WINDOWS, and then renaming it to HIMEM.EXE
4) Applying MS KB311561, then rebooting.
5) Running xRayeR's w98iopat.exe, in True DOS, from C:\
6) Creating a CONFIG.SYS in C:\, containing the single line "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64", without the inverted commas.

For even better results, one should instead use RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch, of course, but that's not for free, and the above procedure is the most reliable way to do it completely for free, in my experience.

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts

I'm trying to help you, but if you omit information (like the fact you were offering us the configuration files from C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD, which are irrelevant here, instead of making it clear you had no config.sys on the root directory or that it was an empty file), then what is already not very easy becomes impossible to do.

point taken
please dont think that I was being careless or something, it's just is something totally new to me. I genuinely thought to look at the correct config.sys until I've read your reply.

meanwhile, I copied the content of config.sys (EBD folder) into the config.sys in C:/.
also when I run xRayeR's ios.sys I ignored those the instructions given on screen.
Now it can't even boot normally. I got a black screen and a series of error messages.
I cant even boot a command prompt. I guess I screwed it up.
Probably better re-install it?

Edited by krelian, 09 April 2010 - 09:12 PM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

There is no need to reinstall.
Copying the config.sys from ebd to c:\ will not work...

Supposing you did follow these instructions to the letter (now, did you?):

1) Add a "MaxPhysPage=48000", without the inverted commas to the [386Enh] section of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI
2) Install Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD (after this, usually, no MaxFileCache line is needed in SYSTEM.INI)
3) Add HIMEMX.EXE to C:\WINDOWS, and then rename it to HIMEM.EXE
4) Apply MS KB311561, then reboot.
5) Run xRayeR's w98iopat.exe, in True DOS, from C:\

The this is how to fix the blotched step (6):

Boot to DOS from a floppy disk or a cd or a pendrive
Change partition Windows boots from (let's say it's C:\)
Delete config.sys.

Then, at the prompt type:

Copy con config.sys <Enter>
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64 <Ctrl>Z <Enter>

A new config.sys, containing just the correct line will be created.
Observe that to type <Ctrl>Z you should press and hold the <Ctrl> key and then press Z, and then release both keys.

After this, remove the floppy and reboot.
Tell me what happens.

BTW, do you speak Portuguese?

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts

There is no need to reinstall.
Copying the config.sys from ebd to c:\ will not work...

Supposing you did follow these instructions to the letter (now, did you?):

did everything ecept installing the KB311561 hotfix (it can't be executed under DOS, btw)
when I reboot it states there's an error in line 1 of config.sys
and that himem.exe and himem.sys are missing, which is strange because I can see them in the direcory.

I used to speak Portuguese as I lived in Portugal (and Brazil too) for some time, however I can hardly speak it anymore:(

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

Are you sure that both himem.sys and himem.exe are in c:\windows?

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts

Are you sure that both himem.sys and himem.exe are in c:\windows?

yep, I can see them
actually if I type himem.exe I get some text/options.
However if I run xRayeR's ios and select yes, it states that himem.sys is not found

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

w98iopat.exe must be run from c:\, not from c:\windows.
Are you sure you were on c:\ when you ran it, and that it also was on c:\?

Usher

Usher

• 43 posts

@Usher: I've read it, rest assured.

Not enough carefully, I'm afraid.

But I'm willing to add your thread and your machine to the > 1 GiB list, provided you PM me the description of your system, in the lines of the descriptions of the machines already listed there.

I have written in my posts that I have NO machine with > 1 GiB RAM for testing now. You have, other users have, but I do not have and I will not have such a machine in the nearest future.

I recommend doing the following (read this as a Mini How-To), which works for both Normal and Safe Modes:

And I wanted to change it to be more logical, so I reordered the steps:

1) Applying MS KB311561, then rebooting.

Official MS patch is a must have. It should be installed with all other MS patches, f.e. using unofficial Support Pack (SESP). You may recommend SESP install.

2) Adding a "MaxPhysPage=48000", without the inverted commas to the [386Enh] section of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI

This is not for safe mode. In safe mode SYSTEM.CB file is used, not system.ini. You should recommend also editing SYSTEM.CB.

3) Installing Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD (after this, usually, no MaxFileCache line is needed in SYSTEM.INI)

There is no need for this patch. It is just hardcoded setting from [vcache] section in system.ini/system.cb. Editing ini files should be recommended - this way users can test different settings and find the best settings for their machines.

4) Adding HIMEMX.EXE to C:\WINDOWS, and then renaming it to HIMEM.EXE
6) Creating a CONFIG.SYS in C:\, containing the single line "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64", without the inverted commas.

The changes in 4-6) are for using memory manager other than MS HIMEM.SYS. Once again, I have no machine to test it with > 1 GiB RAM, but from FreeDOS mailing lists I know Japheth's HIMEMX.EXE may still have some bugs and compatibility issues that are not solved yet.

For even better results, one should instead use RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch, of course, but that's not for free, and the above procedure is the most reliable way to do it completely for free, in my experience.

In general, your recommendations are for advanced users, while my solution could be good also for testing by newbies.
And you know there is no need to use as much RAM as it is possible in safe mode. It is enough to have any simple, safe and working solution. Just someone ought to test it.
Andrzej P. Wozniak

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

[quote name='Usher' date='10 April 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1270922778' post='917723']
[quote name='dencorso' date='09 April 2010 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1270835572' post='917584']
[quote name='Usher' date='09 April 2010 - 03:09 PM' timestamp='1270832994' post='917581']
[quote name='dencorso' date='09 April 2010 - 05:45 AM' timestamp='1270784718' post='917484']
5) to access "Safe Mode" with > 1 GiB RAM you'll need both the VCache.VxD modded by Xeno86 and xRayeR's patch to IO.SYS.[/quote]
If my solution works for safe mode, it can be more useful than binary patches.[/quote]
@Usher: I've read it, rest assured.[/quote]
Not enough carefully, I'm afraid.[/quote]
[quote name='Usher' date='10 April 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1270922778' post='917723']I have written in my posts that I have NO machine with > 1 GiB RAM for testing now. You have, other users have, but I do not have and I will not have such a machine in the nearest future.[/quote]
Carefully enough. I only missed the fact you don't have a machine with enough RAM to test your idea.
There is no need to your adversarial posture. My only interest is to help. And I feel that, when striving to do so, it's more sensate to propose time-proven solutions than experimental ones, as the fist option. That said, thank you for posting your interesting idea and also for calling my attention to that interesting old thread by Tihiy.

[quote name='Usher' date='10 April 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1270922778' post='917723']
And I wanted to change it to be more logical, so I reordered the steps:

[quote name='dencorso' date='09 April 2010 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1270835572' post='917584']
1) Applying MS KB311561, then rebooting.[/quote]
Official MS patch is a must have. It should be installed with all other MS patches, f.e. using unofficial Support Pack (SESP). You may recommend SESP install.[/quote]
You also didn't read the OP carefully enough. The OP says he's already installed SESP 2.1! However, I recommended installing KB311561 just to be on the safe side, since, for me, it's evident he's running Win98SE in an unstable configuration, and did not do the time-proven tweaks for being able to use safe mode.

2) Adding a "MaxPhysPage=48000", without the inverted commas to the [386Enh] section of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI[/quote]
This is not for safe mode. In safe mode SYSTEM.CB file is used, not system.ini. You should recommend also editing SYSTEM.CB.[/quote]
While it would, AFAIK, be harmless to recommend the change to SYSTEM.CB, no amount of prodding will be enough to make me use krelian as a guinea-pig for your new method, since there are time-proven alternatives I'm familiar with and know for sure that work.

3) Installing Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD (after this, usually, no MaxFileCache line is needed in SYSTEM.INI)[/quote]
There is no need for this patch. It is just hardcoded setting from [vcache] section in system.ini/system.cb. Editing ini files should be recommended - this way users can test different settings and find the best settings for their machines.[/quote]
That's simply not true. While Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD changes the default value for VCache, which is only used when there is no settings in the [vcache] section of SYSTEM.INI/.CB, it duly abides by any settings found there, when they exist. So it's a better all-round alternative to the original MS VCache.VxD, and should be used, at least, by all users running 9x/ME with > 1 GiB RAM. In fact, while it caters for the fact that there is no [vcache] setting in the original SYSTEM.CB, so that it obviates the need for this setting both there and in SYSTEM.INI, it'll also abide by such a setting present in SYSTEM.CB. Hence, Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD won't prevent anyone from tweaking their .INI and .CB files to their liking, in no way, but sets a more secure background to fall to, if needed. Had you read carefully enough VCACHE fix attempt, you'd be cognisant with all I said above, and there would be no need for me to reply to this particular point.

4) Adding HIMEMX.EXE to C:\WINDOWS, and then renaming it to HIMEM.EXE
6) Creating a CONFIG.SYS in C:\, containing the single line "DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.EXE /NUMHANDLES=64", without the inverted commas.[/quote]
The changes in 4-6) are for using memory manager other than MS HIMEM.SYS. Once again, I have no machine to test it with > 1 GiB RAM, but from FreeDOS mailing lists I know Japheth's HIMEMX.EXE may still have some bugs and compatibility issues that are not solved yet.[/quote]
Japheth's HIMEMX.EXE v. 3.32 does indeed have some remaining bugs, the ugliest of which is creating orphan handles in some very contrived scenarios. It also simply ignores one switch, the TESTMEM switch if I remember right. And its implementation of XMS 3.0 functon 88H does not return the "highest ending address of any memory block" in the proper format (viz. in kiB). I know that from first-person experience, both from testing HIMEMX.EXE extensively and from analysis of the released source code. However, none of those bugs create any problem serious enough to prevent the day-to-day use of HIMEMX.EXE, which is a convenient tool for postponing XMS related problems caused by too much RAM for an unpatched VMM.VxD. For more on this, you should read again this most interesting post by RLoew on HIMEMX's limitations. And, BTW, HIMEM.SYS v. 3.95 also has standing bugs (three, at least, which I intend to address by releasing a patch for it in the near future), but that also doesn't prevent it from being usable and useful.

[/quote]
In general, your recommendations are for advanced users, while my solution could be good also for testing by newbies.
And you know there is no need to use as much RAM as it is possible in safe mode. It is enough to have any simple, safe and working solution. Just someone ought to test it.
[/quote]
Now, here are various points, which have to be answered separately:
  • RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch is not free, but is absolutely user-friendly, and can be applied with success by even the most unskilled of newbies. And RLoew gives outstanding good support for his customers, on top of that.
  • Other solutions are free, but less user friendly. And there is only us, other users, to give what best support we can muster for other users trying to apply them.
  • Anyone who seriously intends to run Win 9x/ME nowadays, especially with > 1 GiB RAM, must seriously intend to become an advanced user, if he isn't already. Whoever wants easy should look elsewhere, because the one thing the Win 9x/ME world cannot be anymore is "simple": you have to strugle with hardware, drivers and the like every single day, and to do that minimally efectively you must be able to work both from True DOS and from within Windows, as needed, as the bare least (or, at least not be afraid to learn how to, when needed), and also welcome help in the form of time-proven bona-fide unofficial patches, that caring users provide to obviate you from the need of using debuggers/ disassemblers/hexeditors yourself.
  • I'm not, and never was, against the testing of your proposed solution. But, in principle, that should be done by experienced users solely, until proven to work well. What I'm certainly against is skipping over such careful testing and, instead, using new-users-in-need as guinea-pigs. That's all. Now, in the specific case of your proposed method, as it just involves editing SYSTEM.CB, I think the testing can cause no harm, so it's up to krelian to decide whether he wants to do it or not. In any case, it's counter-productive to have two users advising krelian to do completely different things at the same time.

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts
I give up:wacko:

I really dont understand what went wrong.
and yes the files are all present in C:\....I might be stupid but I aint bloody stupid

I'm going to delete the partition and reinstall it

@dencorso (and usher)
I really appreciate you spent time trying to help me out, dont really wanna waste anymore of it...but if you can give me just a final little help......

I will only put a single 512mb module on the mobo, just to be on the safe side
after that, I figure these are steps I need to take?

-install SP2.1
-reinstall KB311561, just in case
-place the 2x1GB memory modules and clear CMOS
-follow your instructions in post #12

so if I understand correctly, config.sys in C\ will only have A SINGLE line?
autoexec.bat though should still be empty?

bye for now

Edited by krelian, 15 April 2010 - 02:39 PM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

Since you're reinstalling, let's do it this way (let's let the installation of office XP for after all else is working OK):

With just 512 MiB RAM do:
1) Install Windows and check it's working fine.
2) Install SP2.1 and check it's working fine.
3) Add a "MaxPhysPage=48000", without the inverted commas to the [386Enh] section of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI
4) Install Xeno86's modded VCache.VxD
This should be enough to get you ready for more RAM.
Now, let's give Usher's method a test, since you'll will be at a point it's harmless to do and it may work.
5) Add a "MaxPhysPage=48000", without the inverted commas to the [386Enh] section of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.CB
If there isn't such a section, create it at the end of the file. *Do* *not* copy SYSTEM.INI over SYSTEM.CB!
Just edit it with notepad, OK?
6) Now place in the 2x1GB memory modules and clear CMOS and reboot.
Windows should start normally. Restart in Safe Mode. Restart back in normal mode. Report.

If Usher's method works, that's it. If not, we now remove step (5) and proceed to add Japheth's HIMEMX.EXE and xRayeR's IO.SYS patch. If that's necessary, I'll give you as detailed instructions as you find necessary, OK?

Good luck!

@Usher: Yes, I know I'm proposing to use just half of your trick, since I recommended Xeno86's patched VCache.
But if what I proposed above works, then you've already got your proof of concept, so bear with me, please!

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts
great, thanks, I'll try that

there's another thing I forgot to ask:
last time I used some switches at setup, list here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186111
for example those to bypass scandisk and not installing ACPI, I got the idea from this page
http://www.usbman.co...8seusbguide.htm
is there anything else I need to actually bypass?

Edited by krelian, 15 April 2010 - 08:34 PM.

dencorso

dencorso

• Super Moderator
  • 5,778 posts

Donator

No. And installing 98SE without ACPI is a good idea which leads to a generally more stable configuration. I wrote about how to remove it from a finished installation in an old (but still useful) post, for which there is a link in the first post of the > 1 GiB thread. But, since you're installing from scratch, it's much cleaner to prevent Win 9x from using ACPI at install time. If all the rest works OK, I may then suggest you some extra tweaks that may be done at any time afterwards.

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts
IT WORKS!!!!
used the usher's method, or dencorso's guidelines till step 6
I can now enter safe mode with 2GB installed and the system is very stable, I burned a few cds, flashed the firmware of my SCSI burner, no memory problem whatsoever

couple of things, probably obvious, probably not.....bear with me I'm still such a noob

1)This one is really, really weird
When I enter safe mode, my USB mouse doesn't work, even there's NO POINTER, it's like disappeared
BUT if take a memory module off, then it works no problem.
Put the 2nd memory module back in, used a USB to PS/2 adapter, rebooted. Now the pointer reappeared, but still I can't move it
Rebooted again, entered BIOS options and "disabled USB mouse support". Now the mouse finally works even in safe mode.

2)I actually reinstalled windows for 2 times.
The first time also went good, however I installed Office XP as I had a feeling that's what messed things last time.
And as expected, couldn't boot into safe mode.
There must be something in the Office XP engine that **** with memory settings, but whatever I'm not gonna risk again. I'll probably install either Office 2000 or 97

Edited by krelian, 18 April 2010 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN