Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unusual memory issue - SOLVED -

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

dencorso

dencorso

Adiuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Super Moderator
  • 5,789 posts

Donator

:thumbup Congratulations! :thumbup
I think now is high time for you to do a full, sector-by-sector, partition image, to obviate the necessity of ever reinstalling again. Do it before installing Office (whatever version) and, after you settle for a version, do it again. Theis way you start a library of known-good backups, which will make it much easier, from this point on, to experiment on the OS and avoid big-scale messes. I use Ghost 2003 for it, but there's a good free alternative jaclaz pointed to some time ago: PartitionSaving (link)! Do give it a try (and use the DOS version of the program, which is the easier and safer way to do images). Say... did you get a single BIOS setting, using which you mouse works OK both in normal and safe mode? This is the only point that was not clear for me in you latest post. And, BTW, your machine has been added to the > 1 GiB list. :yes: Do check whether I described it right, please.

@Usher: Congratulations for you, too! Now your method IS tested, and proven to work. I'll add a "Mini How-To" post to the > 1 GiB list quite soon, containing both your original method, and my modification of it (viz. using Xeno86's VCache, instead of [vcache] settings).

You two rock! :thumbup

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,199 posts
@krelian - just a comment/explanation of the USB Mouse (AFAIK)...

Depends on the BIOS of the MoBo whether it will work or not. In your case not, in mine yes.

If I understand my BIOS, it has "enable USB Legacy Support" which allows for the BIOS "emulating" PS2 until the OS takes over at which point the Drivers are loaded for USB devices. In Safe Mode, no Drivers are loaded but the BIOS allows for the OS to "see" PS2 devices. Very nice.

In your case, it appears you get one or the other (many older Compaq's/Gateway's are like that). So, your method of "switching" works. Use USB when not going to Safe (faster than PS2) and just "switch" when Safe is needed.

Edited by submix8c, 18 April 2010 - 12:58 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

krelian

krelian

• 12 posts
Hi submix, thanks for your input, funny thing the problem is now gone.
Just for the heck of it, I tried to clear CMOS once again and that did it, now I can boot into safe mode with a mouse plugged into the USB port

You two rock! :thumbup

I HARDLY rock ;)
I could have never figured it out without your and usher's help, the only people that rock here are you and him
I always thought to get some HDD cloning software but couldn't decide which, thanks for that

pm coming your way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN