Adware.Vundo/Variant-X32[Header]

My version of SAS SAS 4.24.1004 has recently picked up the following.......

Adware.Vundo/Variant-X32[Header]

and it was residing in C:\WINDOWS\U2X00_32.DLL

Is this a false positive would you think? I ask as the properties show a date when I installed windows 98, so I wouldn't have thought it was adware, but we never know.

I have restored it but I wonder if that was the right thing to do. I may remove it again and see if it causes any problems by doing so, then if it does I can restore it back again.

Of course to see this file in C:Windows you therefore need to have the show all files enabled in folder options.

If you check the definition update history for SAS  you will see this was added around 03-17-2010 on Definition Database 4693 and has been added/updated a number of times since.

If you upload the file at C:\Windows\U2X00_32.DLL to VirusTotal for a second opinion (actually make that 42 second opinions). If no one else flags it then submit it to SAS as a false positive.

HTH 

The latest version of SAS is 4.35, you're quite behind when it comes to updates. It'd be worth getting and using the latest version.

Please let me answer that, the SAS version I use is the last version that works with my operating system, and this has been confirmed by SAS.

So 4.35 would be of no use to me or anyone using win98.

I hope you have a system running something other than Windows 98, or else surfing the web isn't going to be very enjoyable for you very soon (if not already). A lot of software on the web no longer supports IE6, and Firefox has vastly improved in the 3.x series. The forum software MSFN uses (IPB3.x) no longer has any support for IE6, though I'm not sure how far back they go with Firefox. I highly doubt 1.x is supported, and 2.0 most likely isn't supported either. Other sites such as YouTube and others are continuing to make advancements that are making browsing faster and more efficient. Silverlight and Flash are definitely breaking grounds and improving. HTML5 is coming soon along with new CSS and special <audio> and <video tags. Firefox will be supporting Direct2D (which looks quite nice and helps render pages quickly), but you need Vista at a minimum and hardware that supports DirectX9c.

At the bare minimum running XP would help immensely. It's a much more secure and stable OS. The NT kernel and new securities implemented (Especially with Vista and up) do a lot to help stop any potential risk of malware infection. Heck, you could probably get an affordable Windows 7 computer just as easily. I recently picked up a nice Windows 7 laptop for under $500. It's a lot easier to keep a current (XP, Vista, 7) computer running and up to date than it is to try to keep the 9x kernel all patched up and using hacks and patches to try and run most of today's standards.

You're quite right what you say, and I will be looking for a new computer soon.

As you seem to be in the know, can you give me some advice as to what to go for regarding computer specifications etc, such as Dual core, and processor type.

I usually only use a computer for the following....MP3's converting & playing, copying CD's, making up custom artwork, and playing the odd game of pool on yahoo.

I'm not really into playing on-line games, well apart from the yahoo pool that I mentioned.

So in essence I am looking for a large hard drive, plenty of memory, and a desktop PC rather than a laptop as I am more used to working with a desktop.

I know someone that can make me up a custom built computer without all the bloated software that you get when you buy one from a PC store.

And of course I would need Office, so I don't know if he can give me this included in the package.

Oh and not sure what the best brand of computer either, such as Dell or Compaq.

I have to say that MESH components haven't really let me down in 10 years.

Edited by frogman

I would think a dual or quad core would be sufficient (quad if you want to try and future-proof) and 64 bit is a huge plus. If you go with Windows 7 I'd say have at least 3GB of RAM. Hard drive size is ultimately up to you, though I personally would go for 750GB+ (due to massive amounts of MP3s, etc). If you do any gaming a higher end graphics card helps. I know it can help if you use Photoshop or similar graphics intensive editing applications. As far as manufacturers go, the laptop we just picked up for my grandfather was an Acer for under $500. He had a Dell before that died and since working in a tech shop I've never cared for Dell. I'd say Acer is a good bet (can't think of some of the other top ones), but I wouldn't touch Compaq, Dell, Gateway, or HP.

I'm not sure if Yahoo Pool is Java or Flash based, either. But from my experiences (on a single core P4 3.4GHz with hyperthreading and then my grandfathers new dual-core) Flash/Java runs a LOT better on the dual core.

As far as Office goes, if you wait a bit until Office 2010 is out you'll be very happy. :)

These are based on my opinions, etc for getting a new computer. When I go for a new PC I tend to get something better than top of the line to make it last many years. My current PC is over 5 years old and only had a few minor upgrades.

Many thanks for the useful info, really appreciated.

Would all the files that I have gathered using my current file system which I believe to be 32bit work when transferred to a 64bit system?

Sorry if that sounds a crazy question to ask, but the 32 and 64 bits is something I have never really understood.

My current system is an AMD Athlon with 256 ram, I did try and add another 256 to it making it 512, but after I had fitted the card to the PCI slot and when I tried to access the internet for some strange reason the internet would then show a message to restart, and when I did the same message appeared again and again like in a loop, so I removed the extra RAM and that solved the problem, so I think it must have been a faulty 256 ram that I had purchased, but it kind of put me off, so I just stayed with the 256 ram, any ideas what may have caused that?

Also if I get this guy to custom build me a computer, would I be asking him for an acer, or would the tower just be what he supplies? in other words all these different brands, what is the difference between them all? as I thought it was the motherboard that really mattered, perhaps I'm wrong though.

As far as the files go, which sort of files are we talking about? I believe only applications (*.exe, etc) would be the only possible issue. But most programs have 64 bit versions available. Admittingly I'm still learning about 64bit (and want my next PC to be 64 bit). :P

If you go for a true custom built, I'd recommend posting in the hardware section. Let people know you're in the UK, and your max budget, along with what all you really want out of the system. You may be able to get parts from NewEgg, TigerDirect or a similar online retailer. (Not sure on this though).

I'm talking about mostly mp3's, but I suppose I am more concerned about programs that I have currently that work on my 32bit system like Winrar for example.

Also say I got a new PC next week, and it had Windows 7, then when HTML5 comes along, how would that be integrated onto my system, if that is possible of course? as I would imagine that the systems at present all use the HTML4.1

I believe 32 bit programs will run just fine on 64 bit. I'm sure winrar would (but I prefer 7zip myself).

As far as HTML5, the OS doesn't really matter. It's the browser that renders HTML. So IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc would just need to have a software update when they release support for HTML 5.