CMD.exe i don't get a window anymore

Outbreaker

HI :)

I have a strange problem if i start cmd.exe i dont get the window where i can tipe in the commands but in the Windows Task Manager under Processes the cmd.exe is there. Also if i do a batch script the batch file will be executed also the commands but i will not se a window.

All is working but im not able to see a CMD window what could that be ? I checked also the cmd.exe & conhost.exe file size and it is the same as it always was.

Edited by Outbreaker

In safe mode it works but in VGA mode i have the same problem like in the normal mode.

I also tried to stop all services and running processes i could stop but this did also not help and in the registry i could also not find anything useful mmmm.

Edited by Outbreaker

With a CMD window open, change to a lower screen resolution like 1024x768 or 800x600. This should force all open windows to move and resize if necessary to fit within the new resolution. When all windows are visible, change back to your original resolution.

If you're using a multi-monitor screen configuration, change to single monitor then back with the CMD window open.

Edited by 5eraph

If the window is being rendered off-screen, this issue is as old as the hills, I remember hitting this in Windows 3.1 whenever I'd changed monitors/graphics drivers.

For Windows 7, hover over the task in the task bar, right-click the preview window and click Move, then tap a directional arrow key on the keyboard once, then move your mouse – you will find the application window is attached to the mouse cursor until you click to drop it.

If the window is being rendered off-screen, this issue is as old as the hills, I remember hitting this in Windows 3.1 whenever I'd changed monitors/graphics drivers.

For Windows 7, hover over the task in the task bar, right-click the preview window and click Move, then tap a directional arrow key on the keyboard once, then move your mouse – you will find the application window is attached to the mouse cursor until you click to drop it.

Right, if it is off screen, try opening Notepad first. Then if you use ALT+TAB, you should see it in the switch list. Select it, even if you can't see it, you can use keyboard shortcuts to move it. Off the top of my head it would be ALT+SPACE (which opens the root window menu), then press M (the Move Windows option) and then hold the LEFT ARROW (<-) or RIGHT ARROW (->) down for about 5 seconds to see if the prompt moves to where you can see it.

All that courtesy of me using a Windows 98 PC for 6 months without a mouse. :sneaky:

If the reg entries for 7 are the same for XP, remove after a backup the branch HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor before launching any cmd.exe (check in taskmanager). This should reset some parameter of the default behaviour of cmd.exe. You should be able to create a shortcut to cmd.exe on the desktop and the edit the properties of this shortcut and modify the others options.

Hope this helps.

Tried it but can't get it to work, if i use ALT+TAB i don't see the CMD.exe window even in the Task Manager under Applications it's not showing only under Processes i see that the cmd.exe is running.
Aha, so not even seen as a running task in the session... sounds like you managed to run it non-interactively somehow - not heard of that except through launching as a task.

Does this happen for all user accounts?

You can see the cmd.exe process running in Task Manager - is it running in your user session? (Add the Session column to the view)

If you make a copy of cmd.exe and name it something like cmd2.exe, does cmd2 have the same issue?

This is just Win7 logged on the console directly, right? Not a Remote Desktop connection or anything?

1. In a new Windows Account the CMD.exe works without problems mmmm.

2. Yes i can see the cmd.exe process running in my user session in the Task Manager but i don't see it in the Task Manager under Applications.

3. If i make a copy of the cmd.exe and name it damcmd.exe an put it on the desktop then it has the same problem.

4. No i dont use Remote Desktop connection.

Edited by Outbreaker

I don't get this now i have run procmon.exe and opened the cmd.exe file and now i see the cmd.exe Window agan this is strange.

Just a question, since there are few programs that react to running procmon.exe (or other tools from MS SysInternals) but one I know is SecuROM. If you have any games installed, see if they still open too. Of course, a reboot nullifies SecurROM's behavioural oddities...