Dropped Zone Alarm!!!

Rick

I have used ZA on earlier versions of XP betas with no probs but this RTM has just been one problem after another. I read Aaron's post about it starting too early and I tried to delay it with his program and nothing. Basically, my computer would start up and no Zone Alarm in sys. tray. Erratically too..not every time. It was not there but my internet would be completely locked down...even if I shut down ZA. I would have to restart and usually it would come up right the second time. I even tried starting ZA manually and still it would decide to work on one startup and not on the other??? Too crazy for me so I dumped the darn program and I'm going to try Norton FW.

Soooo frustrating!

Rick:mad: :mad:

Sygate just came out with a new version for XP...Works great so far. Nortan firewall was blocking my acsess to secure websites so I droped that for now. It was a beta. Oh well you can get the new version of sygate here:

ht*p://www.syshield.com/

-Chris

I'll give that one a try Chris...I could never get the delay to work right. I'm not totally giving up on ZA because it has been really great and caused me no probs till recently but I am too frustrated to try to fix it now.

Rick

Guest LouCypher

I don't trust the built-in firewall too much because it doesn't restrict the outgoing connections from you computer and is pretty much useless in the event the system is infected with a trojan.

I have been using Tiny Personal Firewall with great success on XP. The latest beta is located ht*p://groups.yahoo.com/group/tinyfirewall

I haven't gotten around to trying out Norton's with XP. I liked AtGuard and subsequently NIS and the ad blocking, but I seem to feel Proxomitron and Tiny work just as well for me.

Edited by Mod: Always put a * for one of the t in http:...Never post direct links to other sites, Thanks you[/size:e08f7b181e][/color:e08f7b181e]