no-ip and domain name

Hello,

i need to use no-ip's service because my ISP will not offer a static IP, so last night I bought a domain name, domain.info for example, to use to connect to my server via RDP/VPN, now when i forward it to my no-ip host name it won't connect, nor will it connect if i forward it to my servers ip. is there anything i need to do to the DNS setting on my Domain Controller, no-ip host, or domain host (godaddy).

Thanks

Ethan

Well first off, can you RDP via your current IP address? It also looks like their service works by a program running on the server that keeps in contact with this no-ip service, so that it knows your current IP to assign your domain to. Have you also tried an nslookup for your domain? I don't know how you would do this. The DNS is not kept on your server, it is kept on no-ip's name servers I imagine. Have you tried contacting them?

Well first off, can you RDP via your current IP address? It also looks like their service works by a program running on the server that keeps in contact with this no-ip service, so that it knows your current IP to assign your domain to. Have you also tried an nslookup for your domain? I don't know how you would do this. The DNS is not kept on your server, it is kept on no-ip's name servers I imagine. Have you tried contacting them?

Yea i can RDP my current IP address, well i have DNS installed on my DC, but the DNS server i use to browse the net is my ISPs DNS. no-ip want me to buy a domain name off them, or transfer an existing one, which i can only do after six months, I thought it could just simply be forwarded to the no-ip host name/server ip, but that just doesn't seem to work.

Above is true (I have a no-ip "free domain name" yada-yada.no-ip.xxx). You need the DUX running on the dynamic-ip-Server. Also, don't forget about any "blockages" in your server's Firewall and/or your Router (have to Port Forward in the Router with a Fixed IP to my server). The DUX updates (at no-ip) my dynamic-IP (assigned by the ISP) adn in the router I port-forward (80) to the Fixed IP. Still battling with this stupid Symantec Firewall; ready to use built-in methods and toss it... Although when "stealth" is off it seems to work, and depends on my Rules instead (just like a "normal firewall").

Can't elaborate more than that. Your scenario is a "domain name" via "godaddy", so I can't say how the IP works with that (is it the same deal as "free domain" as is in mine and simply "points" to your server? No Clue!). I got mine (as I example'd) from No-IP (just a "pointer").

Above is true (I have a no-ip "free domain name" yada-yada.no-ip.xxx). You need the DUX running on the dynamic-ip-Server. Also, don't forget about any "blockages" in your server's Firewall and/or your Router (have to Port Forward in the Router with a Fixed IP to my server). The DUX updates (at no-ip) my dynamic-IP (assigned by the ISP) adn in the router I port-forward (80) to the Fixed IP. Still battling with this stupid Symantec Firewall; ready to use built-in methods and toss it... Although when "stealth" is off it seems to work, and depends on my Rules instead (just like a "normal firewall").

Can't elaborate more than that. Your scenario is a "domain name" via "godaddy", so I can't say how the IP works with that (is it the same deal as "free domain" as is in mine and simply "points" to your server? No Clue!). I got mine (as I example'd) from No-IP (just a "pointer").

Well, i can get to the server using the no-ip host easy, just type the host into the RDP box, same goes for the IP, i can simply type in the IP and its connected. Just don't know if i need to change the DNS to no-ips DNS servers as a posed to the godaddy ones, and if i need to edit anything in my dns server settings!

The DNS settings on your physical computer should be the ones for your ISP. The DNS Settings for the domain are in your godaddy.com control panel.

Yea, but do i need to add any forwaders or anything else in my DNS Server to accept connection, (the Machine i want to rdp is my ad, dns, dhcp server) because when i RDP/VPN my domain name, with it forwarded to no-ip's address nothing happens.