aaargh 7200.11 wot the ?

Hi, I have a Seagate 7200.11 HDD, model ST31500341AS, firmware CC3H, 1.5 terriblebites, this was an external drive, one day it starts going "beep", now I know they don't "beep" but you get the idea, it is 1 "beep" every couple of seconds, the drive does not spin up, it is not detected in the bios - comes up as unknown and hangs the computer when it's starting up, I thought maybe the usb cable fix might help but don't know if this is appropriate for my case, drive was not dropped or abused just used for storage and nothing else, seagate externals come with "power management" it used to shut down every couple of minutes then start up again when needed, the spin up time was long and the drive worked hard to come out of its sleep state. Is this recoverable or am I banging my head against the wall with this one.

Thanks for your comments in advance

Les

Just an off-the-wall thought, it might help if you utilize an externally powered USB hub rather than just plugging the drive into the computer directly, if that's what you are doing, to make sure the drive gets enough power. Beeping doesn't sound good, and this might not help at all, and I admit I'm not familiar with this particular drive so it might already have sufficient power, but at least it would eliminate one possible source of the problem. It's fixed issues with external USB drives for me in the past. Good luck.

Cheers and Regards

Just an off-the-wall thought, it might help if you utilize an externally powered USB hub rather than just plugging the drive into the computer directly, if that's what you are doing, to make sure the drive gets enough power. Beeping doesn't sound good, and this might not help at all, and I admit I'm not familiar with this particular drive so it might already have sufficient power, but at least it would eliminate one possible source of the problem. It's fixed issues with external USB drives for me in the past. Good luck.

Cheers and Regards

Thanks for that, I dissasembled the external part and plugged the drive directly to the power and sata cable on the computer that's why it hangs the system on startup, surely someone has dealt with this problem before.

A beeping HD drive ususally means the read element can't move, usually caused by a head crash, so the drive is most likley dead, and there really isn't anything you can do to recover the data.

EDIT: I totally missed the external part of your post so disregard my post.

Edited by spiff