Login to Account Create an Account
crazy NTFS.SYS experiments
Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:27 PM
- fat32 file cleaning: win7 will run if files have been passed thru fat32 partition
- windows\winsxs: win7 will blue screen if windows\winsxs directory is missing, and will stall with only the cursor if only the short named folders are left
- ntfs.sys nt4sp6a: win7 will exhibit the lightshow indefinitely
- ntfs.sys winxpsp2: win7 prompts that ntfs.sys is corrupt, lightshow never reached: "windows failed to load because a required file is missing, or corrupt"
- ntfs.sys nt351sp5: bluescreen with message unmountable_boot_volume
- ntfs.sys nt4sp3: bluescreen with message unmountable_boot_volume
- ntfs.sys nt4sp6a revisited: same as before: lightshow indefinitely
- ntfs.sys winxpsp2 + ksecdd.sys winxpsp2: ksecdd.sys: "windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file"
- disable driver signing via f8 on startup: tcpip.sys "windows failed to load because a required file is missing, or corrupt"
- add tcpip.sys winxpsp2: rdyboost.sys ""windows failed to load because a required file is missing, or corrupt": this file is in win7 only!
The rdyboost.sys file is existing in the Windows 7 installation, and it is the original, and yet the error message says it is missing or corrupt. Weird.
Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:33 AM
Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:40 AM
Cannot say what the geeks will say, personally I have to say that there is no point in asking people NOT to ask "why" if you later post the "because" ...
Settled for installing Windows 7 on a Fat32 partition. Faster file system. No more "access denied", no more messing with permissions. No more Junction, Symbolic, or multiple Hard Links. No more Alternative Data Streams. I'm sure all the geeks will cry that this is a terrible thing.
Broken link on MSFN? You may try this. Looking for SEARCH on MSFN? Click here.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users