Portable Windows 7 build from Winpe 3.0

Kullenen_Ask

you can pull the files and registry settings from audioV3_deramod.script. not much big 20mb i think. i will add my findings later.

http://ludovici.winbuilder.net//VistaPE-Leopard/App/Windows/audioV3.script

audioendpoint,audio,threadorder,mmcss works. only qwave not (does it need?if need i will get it work too) all drivers loaded but no sound. removed VIRTUALAUDIO.sys,virtualaudiodevice.inf i think gets crash my device manager. ramdisk.inf removed it loads and works and it freeze too i think.

Edit:

anyway solved thanks for help. only need to select device manager and install. automatically works everything. no need for extra program and registry editing :P i am on my own.

Conclusion:

added extra files from that script. most was i had didnt changed my iso size much.

imported that system\enum\sw keys

again imported all media...,mediaplayer,multimedia,audio settings from windows install.wim both for software and system hives

*i didnt think to make this so complicated and sound. also if you add everything from first you can't know which makes it crash because of that i saw some keys left not added at system hive.they can be unneeded for sound but better have more if it works

*don't forget to change d:\ to x:\ values if have

*And last maybe the reason of it doesnt works after all drivers installed is i checked my keys owners and i saw most of them has me as owner. changed all to administrator again. It is main problem of manual editing need to keep it mind always. I think system cant change and add values when it install. my idea is that.

new build with less size and more stuff. 407mb and can be less then 400 if some big dll files removed for example infocard. maybe we can get it work too. not time for remove. :whistle:

th_WindowsVista-2010-05-02-01-27-56.png

need solve images doesnt seen problem. can be seen from photo.

cant see video. maybe because of it is divx.

maybe can look to bitlocker and vss problems. never used in my life i don't know how they works.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

GUIDE FOR MINIMUM SET OF FILES:

1-)Take a winpe.wim from OPK or AIK

2-)Take a vlited install.wim or normal install.wim from windows 7

3-)Mount both to different folders.

4-)Copy all files from install wim to winpe.wim. better not to overwrite. you can use scooter software beyond compare.

*keep winpe.wim

windows\system32\config

windows\servicing

windows\smi

windows\winsxs servicing stack folders.

as it is for dism to work

5-)Apply optimization txt over winpe.wim. Dism /image:C:\winpe_x86\mount /Apply-Profiles:C:\fa.txt

6-)Commit changes and don't forget to export for changes to effect

Now you need config registry hives. Maybe can be guide 2 maybe not. You can use make_pe3 hives until that time. Most easy way to have a portable winpe win7

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

Hello everybody, Kullenen_Ask, and Wimb :hello:

Ludo did you ever can hear sound with this plugin on win7 ever?

No, but Wimb and you, YES :thumbup

themes only seen if you log off and login as administrator. i see that it boot with theme support at boot there is themes enabled until widows is customizing screen but when it logs on as system theme support gone.

Good, but i can't log off (Disable on my Winpe), A solution, maybe, to start and login The WinPE as administrator ? :huh:

How to check if .net running or not? if services running

And test with PaintNet ;)

I had tried in the past to get either Audio or Video drivers to attach properly in WinPE.

I know than before than Splayer (A video player like VLC) start (For seen a video), i start the audio service :yes:

Otherwise i seen not my video :}

my log off gone now too. possible reason i think i added windows\policydefinitions and there is WinLogon.admx and Logon.admx. it means group policy settings works(i think so)Because i have seen somewhere in policy settings that system user was not in allowed users maybe can they be possible reason.Most of them Administrator has rights.If you don't want to use group policy you can delete all that folder. Also can be a connection with a file from wbem folder, after i turn it back i can say more clear info. I didnt try to install nvdia or ati driver but i can install general video driver. It is not installed by default. In my all builds from the first iso i built with winbuilder log off was working. But succesfull login need profsvc,seclogon,sessionenv. Paintnet is a buggy big program for this. First it wants more scrathspace to work (default32mb not enough it to exract files to temp folder). Second msi installer service couldnt find problem (need to solve). I found portable one and it gives me a usefull log for missing files. Login as administrator very difficult. i have needed settings but administrator must have a password and for it to have password need to edit sam hive. it seems difficult.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

So you were able to get Windows Explorer to run in Windows PE? Does it have the startmenu, backround and taskbar functionality? And if so it was as simple as what you stated in your original post ... i think number 2?

I was also wondering if you have got sound working yet.....????

When adding explorer does this come with a battery life indicator? As if using a laptop or is this seperate?

Very impressed with your work Kullenen_Ask. its about time something like this came around. all i ever see is winbuilder or builder that. "I don't want the end result i want to understand how to get the end result". Which is provided by your information.

100% thanks, and hope to hear more from you in the future.

So you were able to get Windows Explorer to run in Windows PE?

yes. it is not miracle. winbuilder and makepe_3 already has that function for long time before.

Does it have the startmenu, backround and taskbar functionality?

Background doesnt yet (only simple colours not photo support), others yes.

And if so it was as simple as what you stated in your original post ... i think number 2?

Simplicity can change with user experience.

"I don't want the end result i want to understand how to get the end result"

I am %100 same idea. i want to documentise as much as i can. sometimes so many changes and i don't also know exactly which change gives that functionality. It gets more complex day by day. Registry additions nearly comes to end. it should be small and bootable. dont want to add more files. It is not a windows 7 installed on a usb disk. It is a winpe that boots to ram.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

from the topic you can see it is close to final. i dont finished yet :( Need disable unneded services (will not delete only disable) and delete related files (if you want it to work copy needed files only.) Everybody wants small and wants everything. Both cant stay together. Functionality or speed and slimness need to choose one. Everybody wants it to work under 512 mb ram but also they want all services. it is not possible. Want to share details after i feel it is ready and effective. I decided that wont be these, maybe they can work but i dont want. Nearly 100 services can work.

Dot net framework (eventsystem,infocard dont work without it i think. it can get wim size very bigger)

Internet explorer, side show, gadgets.

ehome

windows update

biometrics

tabletpc stuff

ofcourse readyboost,prefetch (why need in a pe)

I dont have wireless hardware. i didnt test wireless support in real. If you use penetwork wireless starts and works without hardware

And finaly i get it work to remote desktop to my winpe. oleyyyyy. Do you know how did this start. I started to this job only can remote desktop to my winpe. My aim was not to build a portable windows 7. and at last i succeded. i dont care else.

Hi Kullenen_Ask,

Thanks for above suggestions,

Before asking anything, Iam completely new to this group and need some help on WinPE 3.0 for wireless support.

I have tried to test wireless in WinPE 3.0, but I couldnt.

Please thorugh some light on this, as iam struggling to find any support.

Thanks in advance.

i don't have wireless wireless card in my pc. i didn't test it too. you canuse wimb's makepe_3 from other topics in this forum. there are screenshots of working wireless. You can start reading from here

for wlan service to work. you should at add pppoe and Windows6.1-KB972831-x86.cab to your winpe. you should get sstpsvc, ramsman, rasauto to work before you can succesfully enable wlan. i use penetwork to enable wireless yet. i can start wwansvc manually but i couldn't get wlansvc to work manually

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

Is it interesting to add Windows Media Player support to Make_PE3 ?

Do you have some info on needed registry settings and extra files ?

And what is coming next ?

Java ....

java very big i don't want.

i have seen only wmplayer.exe mui enough in program files folder. but other files in system32 are more and big files. you can add any mediaplayer,media, stuff from registry

i integrated all system hive nearly same with setup.i have problems when i logon as admin now. explorer.exe working as system user. need start explorer.exe from taskmanager.i am working on it.

ı made a new clid.reg, clean and full. i have power options in control panel too. also they work as administrator but they say can not connect to power options in system user.

someone should find a trick to autologin admin.

Trick:

There is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\AllowStart\ProfSvc missing in winpe. i see that the services in here gets run when boot. you can add your services that you want to work else. Of course you should be sure that that service exist in your build and can run manually when you want. It has connection with change user and user profiles but it was working without it too

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

Seems like you guys have come far with this already. Keep up good work.

In case you did not know, the new Windows 7 Embedded is a Windows 7 broken down into many components/packages that can be added or removed. By looking inside these packages (.cab) there are much valuable information found that can be used for PE creation and evelopment. In particular, the manifest files which also contains all registry information tied to any file in that specific package, can help spotting the missing links.

I use an xml2reg tool that is helpful with this, as it converts the manifests into valid registry files.

Joakim

wooww. thanks for usefull info. i didnt know what a manifest file is it before you explain :) really. microsoft gives free trial with free shipping now. i registered. i think it will be avaliable rtm soon. i didnt download it yet. they send many mails about test builds but prefer rtm ones. it is strange they give package by package. i don't think they want people build their own customized operating system with their desired packages

last minute. i succeded to work power options under system account. but shutdown button not works after it work yet. probably has connection with my new clid.reg

for people that wants to make their own clid.reg. (UPDATED IN POST #71)

1-)take clid.reg from winbuilder scripts. (credits to it's founder)

2-)make needed changes wimb suggested

(Replacing in clid.reg "all 43,00,3a,00,5c,00 were by 58,00,3a,00,5c,00" means that hexcode for C:\ is replaced by X:\

C is hex 43 and X is hex 58).)

3-)make firewall change i suggested in this topic (search)

4-)boot in winpe. load install wim classes hiv with a hiv mount tool. import modified clid.reg on it. with working in winpe environment it will give you system owners and you wont take a message some of keys are in use.

5-)remove runas interactive user keys.

6-)backup loaded classes hiv as hiv (for keep ownerships)

7-)also internet explorer ieproxy.dll register error solved like this

8-)i manually imported this classes hiv to my software\classes offline

now i can see wallpapers in customization screen but i don't see wallpaper. :( also there is 2 explorer process in task manager. one is system other is administrator account. i don't know if it is normal. maybe when i log off it doesnt end system session.

firewall mmc working. eventlog gives error 50. i think because it can not find right location for logs. also task scheduler says can not find data. probably that is same too.

there is not enough information to solve vssadmin list writers. at bitlocker cpl i don't see any place to use it. does it automaticaly finds drives in there? or need to open an exe to get it work. i try to run bitlockerwizard from system32 folder nothing happens.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

In case you did not know, the new Windows 7 Embedded is a Windows 7 broken down into many components/packages that can be added or removed.

Hi joakim

Thanks for useful info on Windows 7 Embedded. :thumbup

It will be interesting to make comparison with Make_PE3 and see what we can use of this approach.

in action clip

new build coming

desktop wallpaper support. (From personalization and right click save as wallpaper support.)

theme as system user. (trying to get aero work.)

another clip (you will say i am a liar and this is a real windows 7 :D )

Notes:

*I have seen that my system\productoptions has terminal server personal. i was know it need terminal server key for background support far before but i thought terminal server personal also should be same thing. I understood i was false. Changed it to terminal server and background works now.

*Logged in as administrator (It is like real windows with everything.) backed up user hive and saved is a config\default hive (Every user uses same this hive.) Now i have blue classic theme. it means system can use theme support if there is aero.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask