Portable Windows 7 build from Winpe 3.0

Kullenen_Ask

server functions works on mmc snapins, from my previous experiences snapins doesn't work without related winsxs folders (normaly windows functions works without winsxs folders). It boots with all services (i don't say all working) like vhd,hypervisor,dhcpserver services. At the time of writing (now) none of hyper-v related services works. I have only 1GB RAM so adding more files and work on it is difficult for me (in virtual machine). Also my mother board usb boots very slow. I decided to stop on server based winpe until i decide to continue. Want start from basic windows 7 x64.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

You work really fast, what is secret ?

How find you registry and files settings, with procmon... ?

I am interested by DHCP Server and also Windows Deployment Services

Thanks Vvurat,

PS: Have you find a solution for multilanguage support ?

Hehe. I made that in two days. Previous i was also made a x64 build i have experience from there, but in that build i couldn't get x86 programs to work. Because of that i couldn't get procmon to work and couldn't develop more also i didn't have x64 capable pc to work on. I extracted files from JFX script and see that i forgot to put all x86 commoncontrol winsxs entries. When i integrate that i saw x86 programs work. It get procmon to work and i have x64 capable pc now. After months of work i found to convert full hives to winpe capable hives. It takes me a few hours to convert them so i don't work on registry much now. Also i have default services.hiv for both x86 and x64. I made 3 months. In every project i use them and it never blue screen. If there is extra services like in this server project i copy and add them. Also have experince from previous work and i can understand from file names what it is for. I made lots of optimizations with dism and had lots of optimized file lists. It is a plus too. In x64 builds procmon not works as i expected. It is my opinion. Also optimizations with dism gives x86 optimization file txt but it doesn't clean x86 files when applied to wim. Maybe bug. Maybe it needs servicing x86 programs and x86 servicing stack under x64 environment. Also using dart tools under winpe environment and as loader is a plus. It's winpe log files gives missing files for services and everything about under windows\inf\setupapp.log, setupdev.log

PS: Have you find a solution for multilanguage support ?

I made as it should be. Don't know why doesn't work. I didn't test in real environment because so much work for me :wacko:

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services

There nothing language specific stuff in it. Can use every language. I need to make anew hives editing for my turkish x64 windows 7. If you want i can give a teamviewer sesstion lesson for editing of everything. You can see every change on all hives that i do. If you know about teamviewer.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services

There nothing language specific stuff in it. Can use every language.

You are right, i confirm. I have create this script for a other software forum

But HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services does not interact with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE ?

No. Doesn't interact. Will not crash if you have all inf and drivers for services start 0,1,2. I didn't see you use that.

I nearly finished x64 winpe. Flash player x64 and media player x64 working. Used K-Lite_Codec_Pack_64bit_400.exe and it adds 10MB codecs to wim :( Can not get media player to work without it. Works better then mine x86. There is no interruption at sound and video when playing with media player. (sometimes i get little interrupts at x86). I used windows 7 imageres.dll and it is 20mb standalone, maybe i need to change with winpe one. So it get over 400mb :( I don't see theme background :( and can not join to homegroup (it says no license for it.) Other everything works. For x86 have fundamental support and for specific x86 programs need to add extra dll files that programs need to work.

th_Adsz-5.jpg

I think to work on Media Center Winpe. That will start with Media Center shell default. After will return to work on Server winpe. I don't know why i spend all my time with this winpe sh*t :)

Working Media Center Winpe. It is only 400mb wim with .NET 2.0 and ehome. Now it has explorer shell. My aim was to boot ehome shell after boot but there is problems for that. First need to install sound and video drivers for to lauch ehome. It can be possible using batch files and inf loading at boot. If i can use profiling and optimize it can be better. It plays my divx files without problem. I didn't check every function. Screensaver and games works.

th_adsz-6.jpg

And this is another full winpe7 i made from zero again. I installed Windows Embedded Standart 7 with my desired features. Used it's file list and boot all windows. No media center and size 600mb. Updates finds but i couldn't installed webcam driver from updates. The reason of i want updates to work is user will not need to carry or add drivers to build. He will just use updates and install (if doesn't need restart of course)

th_Adsz1-1.png?t=1291460779

I want to explain the difference of my builds from a real ram booting windows.

*I always keep it as winpe. My builds uses wpeutil and winpe boot process. In real windows it is user session login without wpeutil.

*Winpe registry values always kept for it to work and boot.

*I always keep SAM and SECURITY hives unchanged. It wasn't boot when they kept. (did not try again in near past) This gives some function loose to my builds. Forexample "User Control Panel" and "Reboot/Shutdown" icons never works. I believe the reason is that.

I have seen a real ram booting windows 7 in 450mb size at a russian friend. If i compare his and mine builds.

In real ram booting 7

*User control panel and shutdown buttons works.

*It works slow when compared to mine builds.

*After boot windows 7 driver loading works and it takes lots of time to install drivers.

In my builds.

*User control panel and shutdown buttons not works.

*It works faster then ram booting.

*Driver install is very quick.

I believe they can convert to each other very easly with little registry and file changes. I did not test.

Edited by Kullenen_Ask

• 2 weeks later...

It is so complicated that better to use teamviewer to remote connect. I don't put to my builds anymore or work on it at least 6 months. You will need so many rdp services, rdp files, terminal services, secondary/user logon (i think my minimal winpe can connect remote at first page was 360mb) Also after boot need to start all services it could to connect. If i start to explain need to rewrite all 7 pages and winpe building instructions. If you ask more simpler questions i can try to help better.

It is so complicated that better to use teamviewer to remote connect. I don't put to my builds anymore or work on it at least 6 months. You will need so many rdp services, rdp files, terminal services, secondary/user logon (i think my minimal winpe can connect remote at first page was 360mb) Also after boot need to start all services it could to connect. If i start to explain need to rewrite all 7 pages and winpe building instructions. If you ask more simpler questions i can try to help better.

I thought that was a pretty simple question. Have been trying to get DameWare MiniRemote Control to work without success... Hangs on initializing.

I thought RDP shouldn't be too hard if you just provide the filenames needed from the full win7 media. Also if you provide some info for the n00b how to modify those registery settings and what settings are needed for RDP. I'm not even trying to make

a full Win7 bootable media, just PE that I can connect remotely.

Edited by narcotic

Investigate this Procmon log file. I made remote desktop from inside winpe to same winpe. You will have idea some of registry and all needed files. It will probably not help DameWare MiniRemote Control. It is another software that will probably not need all microsoft remote desktop registry and files. Different things.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F72JQJJ0

Procmon.exe /OpenLog Logfile.PML

Download procmon from here

I thought RDP shouldn't be too hard if you just provide the filenames needed from the full win7 media

-False. Have you seen anybody or any other topic or something that anybody get remote desktop to work under winpe? (I talk about server. Not client.)

Also if you provide some info for the n00b how to modify those registery settings and what settings are needed for RDP.

-Do you know how many services that start with RDP* under system\controlset\services?

Theese files need for most of remote connection programs to work

IPHLPAPI.DLL, winnsi.dll, bcryptprimitives.dll, ncrypt.dll,bcrypt.dll,msasn1.dll,oleaccrc.dll,oleacc.dll

Edited by Kullenen_Ask