Windows 2000 on AMD 790GX/SB750 & 890GX/SB850 motherboards.

Has anybody installed Windows 2000 on a machine with AMD 790GX/SB750 chipset? Motherboards with this chipset are usually made for the new AM3 Phenom II processors. Are there versions of AHCI driver that support Win2k?

I've posted in this thread but the discussion is inconclusive

http://www.msfn.org/board/integration-sb7xx-textmode-raid-ahci-drivers-t135840-pid-874015.html

//

Edited by Phenomic

• 3 months later...

I didn't try by myself... But as nobody answers you, here is my little bit of (mis)information.

I had looked at the 890gx, and the file \SB8xx\x86\Ahci86.cat contains

2 : 5 . 0 0 , 2 : 5 . 1 < < < O b s o l e t e > > >

which is a hint that W2k is a target just as Xp is.

My suggestion is that you go to the sites of motherboard manufacturers, download the driver for the chipset, and read the contained Inf files, or the txtsetup.oem: these tell often in clear what Windows is supported.

-----

Ahci is very important for speed. Not for the throughput, but for Ncq, which completely changes the boot time and the system's responsiveness. Seen it by myself on an Ich10r with W2k.

-----

On Intel chipsets, you would have the excellent solution of the Intel driver ported to W2k by BlackWingCat.

Thank you. I'd tried slipstreaming Win2k on 790GX (ASUS M4A78T-E) but couldn't boot the windows installer.

Then I installed Win2K on 890GX/SB850 (GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H) by accident! I had a Win2k installation for an NVIDIA Asus M4N68T-M, then used the same disk on an MSI NF750-G55. Then I accidentally booted the same partition with the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H ... and it booted up in 640x480!

Here's what it looks like:

si.JPG

________

dm.JPG

I had to remove a lot of stuff:

VIA HD audio

NVIDIA drivers

ASUS drivers

Creative Audio WDM

and I used blackwingcat's video driver, thank you

I'm unable to install Realtek Audio/ATI HDMI and USB3.0, device manager reports Code 31 and Code 10 respectively.

Win2k Cool 'n' Quiet driver does NOT recognize Phenom II CPUs, I use K10stat instead, which is much better!

Also Win2k only uses 2 cores of my Phenom II X4 B55, the 2 unused cores remain unthrottled using too much energy, so to idle this CPU at 0.975V one must revert to Phenom II X2 555BE

That's it for now. Feel free to contribute. It would be nice to have a detail list of drivers that need to be slipstreamed with nLite for a successful Win2000 installation.

Same reasons that the Win98 crowd hang on with theirs and you can still find mobos that still run 2000, like the various industrial market ones or the Jetway Flex form with 230/330 Atom if you need one or two cores, right now I'm too broke for either and this two year old Asus runs [P5GC-MX/1333] runs 2000 or higher, single or multi-core, you just have to shop around like the O.P. did.

[or should have] I'll still use 2000 for HTPC use. It helps if you can read the user manual as a .pdf or .txt. before buying.

Edited by Browncoat

Why still W2k?

- Because it runs more or less as I expect. The more I try other Windows, the more I consider sticking to W2k.

- Because I don't care too much about having updates.

- Because the applications I have (Office 97, some Ms-Dos scientific computations applications not modernized since then, and so on) run on W2k, and I have no multitask application justifying a multicore processor that would need a more recent OS.

- Because more recent OS need much more resource for the same result. I don't and won't call that a progress.

Comfort comes hence from old software on new hardware.

On my X25E+E8600+P45, W2k boots in 15s. I doubt Seven does that.

I have an other question.

Why do you come to a W2k forum and ask people why they stick to it?

Are you so upset with your Vista and consider switching to W2k?

my 7 boots in 20s (HDD, no SSD) and resumes from Hibernation in 8s. The 2k doesn't support the modern power saving features (Q&C and Core parking from the Intel i series). You stay at a OS which is technology from 1997 (started as NT5.0). This doesn't make up any real sense. But do want you want, but don't wonder when nothings works.

Hi Phenomic

Did you install KB888111 ?

RealTek HD Audio already have supported Windows 2000,and you can down load it on Realtek web site.

What version did you use ATI HDMI Driver ?

I use 10.7 driver on HD4870.

I also released Cpu core limitter break patch.

You will be able to use 4 cores.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/1163868.html

Thank you. I'd tried slipstreaming Win2k on 790GX (ASUS M4A78T-E) but couldn't boot the windows installer.

Then I installed Win2K on 890GX/SB850 (GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H) by accident! I had a Win2k installation for an NVIDIA Asus M4N68T-M, then used the same disk on an MSI NF750-G55. Then I accidentally booted the same partition with the GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H ... and it booted up in 640x480!

Here's what it looks like:

si.JPG

________

dm.JPG

I had to remove a lot of stuff:

VIA HD audio

NVIDIA drivers

ASUS drivers

Creative Audio WDM

and I used blackwingcat's video driver, thank you

I'm unable to install Realtek Audio/ATI HDMI and USB3.0, device manager reports Code 31 and Code 10 respectively.

Win2k Cool 'n' Quiet driver does NOT recognize Phenom II CPUs, I use K10stat instead, which is much better!

Also Win2k only uses 2 cores of my Phenom II X4 B55, the 2 unused cores remain unthrottled using too much energy, so to idle this CPU at 0.975V one must revert to Phenom II X2 555BE

That's it for now. Feel free to contribute. It would be nice to have a detail list of drivers that need to be slipstreamed with nLite for a successful Win2000 installation.

Hi Phenomic

RealTek HD Audio already have supported Windows 2000,and you can down load it on Realtek web site.

I installed the sound drivers on the Gigabyte CD and one I downloaded from Realtek. I thought that KB888111 is included in that package. I'm away right now, but I will check the version numbers soon, most of the drivers are on that machine. Also, there's NO S3 suspend or hibernation, perhaps unable to power down the audio hardware without a driver?

I tried your CPU registry patch for the quad, but Windows locked me out and wouldn't let me login. I had to open the registry offline and reset the changes.

Also, I was confused as to which of your video drivers to use. Likewise, I couldn't determine which version of your AHCI is appropriate for the 890GX/SB850.

I have access to my notes...

I used your video ati2k1001.zip, it's very stable, but there's a single entry in the Event viewer on every boot:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Save Dump

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 7/19/2010

Time: 10:29:40 AM

User: N/A

Computer: GIGA

Description:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0x804f5ba4, 0x00000000, 0x00000033). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini071910-06.dmp.

Also Windows File Protection, Event ID: 64002 for system32\ksclockf.ax and a bunch of k*ax files, not sure if this is related.

Hi Phenomic

Which type did you install HAL ?

Core Limit registry means nothing without Windows2000-KB979683-v2-x86-ENU.EXE.

What is your Device ID ?

What version did you install USB 3.0 Driver ?

Hi Phenomic

I installed the sound drivers on the Gigabyte CD and one I downloaded from Realtek. I thought that KB888111 is included in that package. I'm away right now, but I will check the version numbers soon, most of the drivers are on that machine. Also, there's NO S3 suspend or hibernation, perhaps unable to power down the audio hardware without a driver?

I tried your CPU registry patch for the quad, but Windows locked me out and wouldn't let me login. I had to open the registry offline and reset the changes.

Also, I was confused as to which of your video drivers to use. Likewise, I couldn't determine which version of your AHCI is appropriate for the 890GX/SB850.

I have access to my notes...

I used your video ati2k1001.zip, it's very stable, but there's a single entry in the Event viewer on every boot:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Save Dump

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 7/19/2010

Time: 10:29:40 AM

User: N/A

Computer: GIGA

Description:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0x804f5ba4, 0x00000000, 0x00000033). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini071910-06.dmp.

Also Windows File Protection, Event ID: 64002 for system32\ksclockf.ax and a bunch of k*ax files, not sure if this is related.

• 2 weeks later...

Phenomic, it seems you succeeded to install a Usb 3.0 driver for the Nec chip with W2k...

Could you tell us more? Here or there, as you prefer:

The kind of questions your screenshot raises:

- Where does the driver installer come from?

- Was it the normal installation procedure?

- Do you get Usb 3.0 performance?

------

Blackwingcat, I confirm what Syclone0044 saw:

neither KB979683-v2 nor CoreChg.zip are accessible.