YouTube no longer works with Flash 7/Win95 [Solved]

Andrew T.

Although it's hardly the most ideal or most efficient form of video conveyance, YouTube is a predominant site. And until recently, it was accessible with little fuss via compatible plugins on virtually any system.

Since the site redesign a couple weeks ago, however, that's no longer been the case. A few days ago, they began prompting Flash 7 users with a rude "Old Flash? Go upgrade!" message in lieu of the video space. Since Flash 7 is the last version capable of running on Windows 95 and a few other platforms (Mac OS 9 comes to mind), users of these operating systems are now effectively locked out of YouTube content.

Any thoughts? Or any possibility of a way around this, for that matter?

I wonder if it would be possible to spoof the flash version reported to the website, just like how the User Agent Switcher can report a newer version of Firefox? I have a feeling this is a "false incompatibility" they have introduced. Anyone got an idea how to do this? :unsure:

EDIT:

I did some searching and experimenting here on my 98SE/FF 2.0.0.20 system. (I recall seeing a website where someone had managed to get FF2 running on 95) I don't have a 95 test system set up at the moment.

I downloaded a FF2 compatible version of "Flash Switcher" and it seems to work under 98, even though the author's website said it had only been tested under XP. I used it to switch my Flash version back to 7, and it did so without running an Adobe installer, or if it did use one, it was "silent". (Possibly might let you do an end-run around the OS version requirements for a newer flash version? :unsure: )

Then I visited YouTube with Flash 7 and got the message you described. A quick look at the source code for the page yielded this:

(function() {

var swfConfig = {"url": "http://s.ytimg.com/yt/swf/watch-vfl158803.swf", "min_version": "8.0.0", "args":

It would seem that it you can manage to get Flash 8 running on a 95 system, it would pass the compatibility check.

I will run some further tests as soon as I can find the time.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I wonder if it would be possible to spoof the flash version reported to the website, just like how the User Agent Switcher can report a newer version of Firefox? I have a feeling this is a "false incompatibility" they have introduced. Anyone got an idea how to do this? :unsure:

@LoneCrusader: I'll give it a try.

@Andrew T.: Which Flash 7 do you use, the one for IE, or the one for other browsers? And what's its full version number?

@LoneCrusader: I'll give it a try.

@LoneCrusader: you guessed right! :yes:

Many thanks to Andrew T., worship.gif who patiently tested all my proposed mods...

:w00t: I now offer you all the Flash Version Spoof Patch! :w00t:

Caution: This patch only applies to the non-IE version of Flash. I may produce the IE version in case there is a demand for it, but don't hold your breath...

Here's how it's done:

1. Confirm that you do have NPSWF32.dll v. 7.0.73.0: search for it, right-click on NPSWF32.dll, choose Properties, then Version and confirm that it says "File Version: 7.0.73.0" (without the inverted double commas). If it does not, update your Flash version all the way up to 7.0.73;
  2. Download the freeware command-line utils.zip, from KanastaCorp, grab inside it just patch.exe and drop it into the
    \%windir%\command\ folder;
  3. Download the NPSWF32.ZIP attached below, grab inside it NPSWF32.PAT and drop it into the same folder in which NPSWF32.dll is already present;
  4. Still in the same folder, rename NPSWF32.dll to NPSWF32.ori;
  5. Start a DOS box, go to the folder in which NPSWF32.ori is present, and run the following command from the DOS prompt:
    patch -p NPSWF32.ori NPSWF32.PAT NPSWF32.dll
    If everything went well, the patched NPSWF32.dll will now say it has "File Version: 8.0.42.0".
  6. Enjoy YouTube again! :yes:

Of course, as always, the standard disclaimer applies: It works great for me, but YMMV and I can guarantee nothing whatsoever about this patch, and about the use you make of it. So, by deciding to apply it you fully accept that anything you do is of YOUR SOLE RESPONSIBILITY... Hence, if after performing this mod your computer morphs into a purple mushroom and explodes, causing a 10-day worldwide blackout in the process, you know you can't blame me for it!

You have been warned...

NPSWF32.zip

Flash7d.7z

Excellent! :w00t:

I will have to give it a try on a 95 install when I get my test system back up and running again.

Following this same logic, I wonder if it is possible to use the same method on 98SE to defeat some sites that already want you to upgrade to Flash 10? :unsure:

Edited by LoneCrusader

Following this same logic, I wonder if it is possible to use the same method on 98SE to defeat some sites that already want you to upgrade to Flash 10? :unsure:

Probably. Which sites do you have in mind? If I can reproduce the problem, I can test myself, so I can develop a workaround (if there is one) faster...

Please try the BBC News website, for example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8644758.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8643375.stm

Flash videos stopped working on this website a few months ago with Win98SE + Firefox 2.0.0.20 + Flash Player 9.0.246.0

I'd like to get them going again. Thanks! :yes:

Please try the BBC News website, for example:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ech/8644758.stm

http://news.bbc.co.u...ope/8643375.stm

Flash videos stopped working on this website a few months ago with Win98SE + Firefox 2.0.0.20 + Flash Player 9.0.246.0

I'd like to get them going again. Thanks! :yes:

No problem here with those links on Win98SE + Firefox 2.0.0.20 + Flash Player 9.0.262.0 or 98SE2ME + Firefox 2.0.0.22(Bon Echo) + Flash Player 9.0.262.0.

Although the actual BBCiPlayer itself does bog down all 98SE browsers while loading Flash for a short while but it does play without problem once loaded. But your two links play imediately!

9.0.28 Flash Player used to work fine on the BBC website. Now all I get is a still image with this error message underneath:

Cannot play media.You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

If I recall correctly, a few months ago the minimum Flash version for the BBC iPlayer became 9.0.115. Or maybe 9.0.151. The iPlayer Help pages seem not to specify, and instead just encourage users to update to the latest version.

Edit: check this thread on the BBC iPlayer message boards for a relevant discussion...

Edited by bristols

Versions with filename install_flash_player_9.exe will not install properly for Firefox 2.0.0.20. I have tried several versions.

Isn't Firefox "2.0.0.20" no longer supported by Youtube itself? You'll get a prompt saying that at the very least some content will not be functional...

If I recall correctly, a few months ago the minimum Flash version for the BBC iPlayer became 9.0.115....

That is correct. diskless: you need a version later than the one you are using. All Flash Player 9 versions will install on Firefox 2.0.0.20 without problem if you use the Uninstall Flash application between installing the different versions. Go to the Adobe site at--- http://kb2.adobe.com...1/tn_14157.html

Follow dencorso's advice!

Edited by lightning slinger

Few days ago there was some kind of error with YouTube. Some users of Opera reported that they need to re-install the Flashplayer.

Since my old PIII has Win98SE and Vista as secondary system I tested it bit deeper. Reinstallation of Flash Player worked for Vista without reboot. For Win98 i was desperate. Accidentally i tried the Youtube some days later and it worked even on windows 98.

Currently using Opera 10.52 and Flash Player 9.0.262.0 - the latest that Adobe offers for Windows 98.

YouTube now declares which standard for flash is being... tolerated? :) At all modern browsers can support higher versions as Adobe flash 9, but what about Win9x? Installer is locked, but with Vista i still have an acess to the flash player itself - i just need to move it to Win9x and register it correctly.

Currently using Opera 10.52 and Flash Player 9.0.262.0 - the latest that Adobe offers for Windows 98.

... what about Win9x? Installer is locked

Why, don't you, guys have a try to Xeno86's KernelEx

and install the last Flash Player 10.0.45.2 in Windows 98? :whistle:

it looks like it installed fine, but it didn't.

In opera:plugins , check that you have the line:

Shockwave Flash

application/futuresplash spl

application/x-shockwave-flash swf

C:\PROGRAM FILES\OPERA\program\plugins\NPSWF32.dll (or equivalent path).

If not, Tools -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Downloads -> find the File Extensions spl and swf -> Edit, and last line : Use plug-in: select Shockwave Flash.

HTH