HFSLIPFC-2K

Parseus

...HFSLIPFC 2K has been already prepared for automatic update BTW

Yes, but I mean to split the automatic update in two parts: the fc itself and the update lists. ;)

I think both HFSLIP FC's could be released as one f.e. after the May updates, but I also think it couldn't be any problem for releasing it earlier :)

OK, that was the start! :)

Maybe I can interject a dumb idea. Perhaps have a total of 3 files. One file can be the FC "engine" and the other two files are the look up tables. Maybe automate the table downloading from the fc engine too. I'm not sure how to do all that stuff though.

Maybe I can interject a dumb idea. Perhaps have a total of 3 files. One file can be the FC "engine" and the other two files are the look up tables.

That's what I want to say in my postings above :)

Maybe automate the table downloading from the fc engine too.

Of course, no prob:

Second step:

- I extend the automatic update to download not just the current version of the FC, but also the update-list(s)

But all files must be hosted on a web/ftp-server with direct access for WGET (instead of a file-hoster like mediafire, rapidshare...). My files are on a "normal" web-server, probably Parseus can find also a way for the W2K-list... ;)

Edited by Mim0

But all files must be hosted on a web/ftp-server with direct access for WGET

Not trying to be presumptuous, but if a stable home is needed for these files, would it be at all possible for them to be hosted either with the other HFSLIP files, or with fdv's files, or here on MSFN? As I have said, I always like the idea of related things being kept together. Of course if either space or bandwidth is an issue I totally understand. Just my two cents.

Cheers and Regards

Not trying to be presumptuous, but if a stable home is needed for these files, would it be at all possible for them to be hosted either with the other HFSLIP files, or with fdv's files, or here on MSFN? As I have said, I always like the idea of related things being kept together. Of course if either space or bandwidth is an issue I totally understand.
I think bandwidth is not the prob. An update-list are just a few bytes and there are not a million fc-users :D.

But even if the files are on different servers - the FC will know the URLs for downloading the current lists. There's no need to have them on the same server.

To have them on the same server is more an "organizational problem". I want to access and update my files directly - just in time. I don't like the idea to send someone my files for putting them on a web-server.

Edited by Mim0

- I make an OS-detection of the SOURCE-folder to take the correct update-list automatically.

I extended your SP detection to simple OS and SP detection few minutes ago:

REM --------------------------------------------------------------------
REM Detection of operating system and Service Pack already included in SOURCE
FOR /l %%i in (1,1,4) DO (
IF EXIST SOURCE\cdromsp%%i.tst (
SET sp=SP%%i
SET OS=2K
)
ELSE IF EXIST SOURCE\WIN51IP.SP%%i (
SET sp=SP%%i
SET OS=XP
)
)

I'm not exactly sure how to do that for automatic updates, though.

My files are on a "normal" web-server, probably Parseus can find also a way for the W2K-list... ;)

I was thinking about my own site with updates, but also with hotfixes. I'm still thinking, though ;)

Edited by Parseus

REM Detection of operating system and Service Pack already included in SOURCE
FOR /l %%i in (1,1,4) DO (
IF EXIST SOURCE\cdromsp%%i.tst (
SET sp=SP%%i
SET OS=2K
)
ELSE IF EXIST SOURCE\WIN51IP.SP%%i (
SET sp=SP%%i
SET OS=XP
)
)

Same idea! :D

Some questions for the w2k-version:

For MSXML: Why you can define in the INI the installation (integration) of MSXML2? MSXML2 is part of W2K (I thought). You should add MSXML3 instead...

For DX9: Do you know the reason two have the options for Dx9-Standard and Dx9-Gaming?

Another for DX9: You have two sections calling DX9X. "My" DX9X is a list of CABs for DX9 (DX9-eXtracted)...

Some questions for the w2k-version:

For MSXML: Why you can define in the INI the installation (integration) of MSXML2? MSXML2 is part of W2K (I thought). You should add MSXML3 instead...

For DX9: Do you know the reason two have the options for Dx9-Standard and Dx9-Gaming?

Another for DX9: You have two sections calling DX9X. "My" DX9X is a list of CABs for DX9 (DX9-eXtracted)...

MSXML: I based my HFSLIPFC 2K on bristols list, but according to this, MSXML2 (like MSXML3) is already included. Could anyone give me versions of msxml2.dll, msxml2a.dll and msxml2r.dll from Windows 2000 (if they exist on CD)? I need to check these updates from bristols list, but I haven't got 2000 disc now.

DX9: I had a small discussion with bristols and in fact it's up to user - he can use DX9 standard (I call it "lite") or DX9 gaming ("full" - DX9 standard + additional binaries mainly for gaming).

Sections with DX9X:

REM Check if DX9 is already extracted
IF EXIST !xdx9File! (
SET dx=DX9X
) ELSE IF EXIST !dx9File! (
SET dx=DX9X
) ELSE IF EXIST !d9File! (
SET dx=DX9
) ELSE (
SET dx=DX7
)

That code checks if exists:

1) extracted DX9 for gaming

2) unextracted DX9 for gaming

3) DX9 standard (unextracted)

4) no DX9 redistributables

DX9 gaming don't supersedes DX9 standard. I think I'll change that code a bit.

Edited by Parseus

MSXML: I based my HFSLIPFC 2K on bristols list, but according to this, MSXML2 (like MSXML3) is already included. Could anyone give me versions of msxml2.dll, msxml2a.dll and msxml2r.dll from Windows 2000 (if they exist on CD)? I need to check these updates from bristolslist, but I haven't got 2000 disc now.

I think my thoughts yesterday are not correct. MSXML3 was shipped with W2K, not MSXML2.

IF EXIST !xdx9File! (
SET dx=DX9X <<<============================== !!!
) ELSE IF EXIST !dx9File! (
SET dx=DX9X <<<============================== !!!
SET dx=DX9
) ELSE (
SET dx=DX7
)

In both cases you are using DX9X as the section-name for DirecX-Updates.

In general: The behaviour of the fc is the following: All sections (of the files containing in the fileset) with the same name are taken!

In your case: You have two DX9X-sections in your fc. Both are taken if you set dx to DX9X.

Edited by Mim0

I think my thoughts yesterday are not correct. MSXML3 was shipped with W2K, not MSXML2.

MSXML2 was shipped with IE 5.01, which is by default included in Windows 2000 SP4.

In both cases you are using DX9X as the section-name for DirecX-Updates.

In general: The behaviour of the fc is the following: All sections (of the files containing in the fileset) with the same name are taken!

In your case: You have two DX9X-sections in your fc. Both are taken if you set dx to DX9X.

Fixed. New version will be released after I clear the situation about MSXML.

EDIT: I am working on merged HFSLIP FC now and I shortened the main configuration file (it's attached to that post).

hfslipfc.ini

I need to ask if I am modifying script correctly, though:

IF !OS!== 2K (
IF EXIST !xdx9File! (
SET dx=DX9X
SET dx=DX9
) ELSE (
SET dx=DX7
)
) ELSE IF !OS!==XP (
IF EXIST !xdx9File! (
SET dx=DX9X
) ELSE (
SET dx=DX9
)
)

Is that code correct?

Edited by Parseus

For supporting different windows-versions from one file-checker I've made from your current version an extension for the new file-checker.

Extract it in the same folder where the file-checker is.

Two things I saw:

- "Server" seems for me not working

- dx-recognition not correct.

Case: You WANT have Dx9 and don't have it already. Your script decides to take DX7 instead!

I don't fixed it when making an extension from hfslipfc2k.cmd. It was too late yesterday...

It would be nice if you use the new file-checker and the extension-mechanism. It's easier/better to maintain for us both. The same code-base with different update-lists.

Regards, Mimo

hfslipfc-2k.rar

Edited by Mim0

This is a cool tool. Thanks guys. I have a little prob with it though. It seems as if I'm getting everything is missing from my hf and hfcabs folders (probably others too). I know that their not up to snuff, but the 2k update rollup and ie6 cabs should have been detected. I'm not sure how I can help. I used the current fileset as of apr 30th.

I have a little prob with it though. It seems as if I'm getting everything is missing from my hf and hfcabs folders (probably others too). I know that their not up to snuff, but the 2k update rollup and ie6 cabs should have been detected. I'm not sure how I can help. I used the current fileset as of apr 30th.

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I can help at this moment because I think first the list should be checked. When I would be Parseus I would ask you for a log-file and the file-checker-INI :) Edited by Mim0