Make_PE3 Program to Create Portable Windows 7 PE

wimb

but when I not select it, the tool never finish

Which tool and what do you mean exactly ?

In Make_PE3.exe you can just make 7pe_x86.iso without using the option to install on Target Drive.

*** Update of Make_PE3 package to Create Portable Windows 7 PE ***

• Changed - Make_PE3.exe tested and working OK in x64 Windows 7 OS
  • Changed - hardcoded C:\Windows in driverpath replaced by @WindowsDir and %SystemRoot%
  • Changed - Error handling improved (reg load error detected)
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 1.7

Known issue:

Previous use of imagex version 6.0.6001 (e.g. for making BB-7PE) results in reg load error when using Make_PE3 programs.

It means that when Make_PE3 has mounted boot.wim with Dism, that reg load of PE registry fails.

Solution: simply Reboot before using Make_PE3 programs to remove memory of imagex usage.

Has anyone another solution for this imagex usage issue ?

Requirements and Info - See post #1

Edited by wimb

Hi Wimb,

Make_PE3 is becoming more and more beautiful and complete. :thumbup

Thank you for and also to other who helps you to improve it.

To See My French language in the start of PE7_x86.iso

windows is loading files -- > windows charge les fichiers

starting windows -- > démarrage de windows

with the variable $Parch = amd64 and $Arch = x86

bcdedit is copied in Aik_tools\x86 and to changed the locale language with it, I changed in the following code $Parch by $Arch

If $bcdlang <> "en-US" And FileExists(@ScriptDir & "\AIK_Tools\" & $Arch & "\" & "bcdedit.exe") Then
$bcdedit = @ScriptDir & "\AIK_Tools\" & $Arch & "\" & "bcdedit.exe"

RunWait(@ComSpec & " /c " & $bcdedit & " /store " _
& '"' & $PEWork & "\ISO\boot\bcd" & '"' & " /set {default} locale " & $bcdlang, $AIK_Tools & "\" & $Arch, @SW_HIDE)

& '"' & $PEWork & "\ISO\boot\bcd" & '"' & " /set {bootmgr} locale " & $bcdlang, $AIK_Tools & "\" & $Arch, @SW_HIDE)

& '"' & $PEWork & "\ISO\boot\bcd" & '"' & " /set {memdiag} locale " & $bcdlang, $AIK_Tools & "\" & $Arch, @SW_HIDE)

EndIf

It works fine for text in french at the startup of 7PE_x86.iso.

By cons, if I start PE7 with grub4dos (chainloader /Bootmgr) the text "Windows is loading files" stay in English ??? any idea to translate it with grub4dos

Edited by ChrisR

with the variable $Parch = amd64 and $Arch = x86

bcdedit is copied in Aik_tools\x86 and to changed the locale language with it, I changed in the following code $Parch by $Arch

It means you are using 32-bits version of bcdedit.exe in 64-bits OS environment.

I thought better to use then the 64-bits version, but as you say the 32-bits version is more likely to be available and might work to do the job.

For grub4dos you can use ISO emulation and everything will work OK. :thumbup

You can use BOOT_IMG.exe or direct Make_PE3.exe to install 7pe_x86.iso as boot option in grub4dos menu.lst on HDD or USB.

title Boot 7pe_x86.iso - ISO
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /7pe_x86.iso
map /7pe_x86.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)/BOOTMGR

Edited by wimb

Indeed, I works on Make_PE3 in version 32 bits in an Windows 7 64 bits environment (With a copy of a DVD Windows 7 32 bits). It's work well.

The use of bcdedit with the variable $Arch is a proposition of a small correction to Make_PE3.au3, because bcdedit is copy in this program with the same variable $Arch in the folder $Aik_tools

I will try your tip to use grub4dos with an ISO emulation to correct the language when 7pe_x86.iso start.

I don't know the difference with gub4dos with an emulation not iso ?

Sorry for my english and thank's for your help

To See My French language in the start of PE7_x86.iso with grub4dos

windows is loading files -- > windows charge les fichiers

starting windows -- > démarrage de windows

For grub4dos I add the 2 files root\menu.lst and root\boot\grldr

1) grub4dos with ISO emulation (as Wimb proposed)

Menu.lst
title Boot 7pe_x86.iso
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /7pe_x86.iso
map /7pe_x86.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
chainloader (0xff)/BOOTMGR

I make Iso with mkisofs everything will work OK

mkisofs.exe -rdNlDTJ  -force-uppercase -
duplicates-once -joliet-long -hide-joliet-trans-tbl -volid PE7_x86 -eltorito-boot
"boot/grldr" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -hide boot.catalog
-o "E:\xxx\Make_PE3\win7pe_x86\PE7_x86.iso" "E:\xxx\Make_PE3\win7pe_x86\ISO"

2) grub4dos non ISO with every folder : boot, source, and other folder not in wim file

Menu.lst
title Boot 7pe_x86
chainloader /Bootmgr

If i make Iso with this mkisofs command it's OK but the text "windows is loading files" stay in english.

mkisofs.exe -rdNlDTJ -force-uppercase -
duplicates-once -joliet-long -hide-joliet-trans-tbl -volid PE7_x86 -eltorito-boot
"boot/grldr" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -hide boot.catalog

If i make Iso with this mkisofs command ( same with -iso-level 4 option) it's OK and i have the text in french "windows charge les fichiers".

mkisofs.exe -rdNlDTJ -iso-level 4 -force-uppercase -

Edited by ChrisR

*** Update of Make_PE3 package to Create Portable Windows 7 PE ***

• Changed - Make_PE3.exe tested and working OK in x64 Windows 7 OS
  • Changed - hardcoded C:\Windows in driverpath replaced by @WindowsDir and %SystemRoot%
  • Changed - Error handling improved (reg load error detected)
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is now 1.7

Known issue:

Previous use of imagex version 6.0.6001 (e.g. for making BB-7PE) results in reg load error when using Make_PE3 programs.

It means that when Make_PE3 has mounted boot.wim with Dism, that reg load of PE registry fails.

Solution: simply Reboot before using Make_PE3 programs to remove memory of imagex usage.

Has anyone another solution for this imagex usage issue ?

Requirements and Info - See post #1

Download - Make-PE3 - mirror

Good Morning wimb,

Thank you and all the contributors for this great tool! I have succesfully merged Acronis True Image Home 2010 using their Plus Pack winpe tool into 7pe_x86.iso built with your version 1.5 of Make_PE3.exe. Along with some other small tools this makes for a complete "toolbox" for my needs. However, this merge function no longer works using either version 1.6 or 1.7. The acronis script goes through as though it has completed the mount, unmount and .iso build but no acronis files are copied the the Program Files folder as they are in version 1.5. Not a serious problem for me but I thought it might be of interest to you for future consideration. BTW the Plus Pack tool only supports x86, not amd64 even though the full HDD install does.

Thanks again to all involved.

However, this merge function no longer works using either version 1.6 or 1.7. The acronis script goes through as though it has completed the mount, unmount and .iso build but no acronis files are copied the the Program Files folder as they are in version 1.5.

Thanks for informing me about the issue.

At the moment I have no idea which change in Make_PE3 programs is causing the described effect.

Do you have any idea what could be the reason ?

However, this merge function no longer works using either version 1.6 or 1.7. The acronis script goes through as though it has completed the mount, unmount and .iso build but no acronis files are copied the the Program Files folder as they are in version 1.5.

Thanks for informing me about the issue.

At the moment I have no idea which change in Make_PE3 programs is causing the described effect.

Do you have any idea what could be the reason ?

Thanks for the rapid response! I have since experimented a little more with v1.7. Previous efforts were with the choice of no AIK since it was not installed. This failure puzzled me also. So I installed the AIK (64 bit) and rebuilt the .iso. I used that as the basis for building the Acronis media and it works! So I suspect something in my setup with the HDD copy of the x86 DVD files.

Now I'll do some cleanup and try with the unselected AIK again. So it looks like nothing you need to concern yourself with and I declare my "bug" smashed!

:)

If i make Iso with this mkisofs command ( same with -iso-level 4 option) it's OK and i have the text in french "windows charge les fichiers".

It might be caused by the winsxs folder name and manifest for bootmgr.exe.mui

These names are extremely long and are probably needed.

Check in winsxs with searchstring _fr-fr_ for differences in

x86_microsoft-windows-b..ager-pcat.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7100.0_fr-fr_32f795006dffd3e5.manifest
x86_microsoft-windows-b..ager-pcat.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7100.0_fr-fr_32f795006dffd3e5
x86_microsoft-windows-b..nment-pxe.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7100.0_fr-fr_cc8bb547901d906e
x86_microsoft-windows-b..nment-pxe.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7100.0_fr-fr_cc8bb547901d906e.manifest

-iso-level 4 can handle long names ;)

Edited by wimb

Do you mean iso level 4 is not a good solution ?

in winsxs with searchstring _fr-fr_ i don't found differences in

x86_microsoft-windows-b..ager-pcat.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_fr-fr_c1daf2c27a3d980d.manifest
x86_microsoft-windows-b..ager-pcat.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_fr-fr_c1daf2c27a3d980d
x86_microsoft-windows-b..nment-pxe.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_fr-fr_5b6f13099c5b5496.manifest
x86_microsoft-windows-b..nment-pxe.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_fr-fr_5b6f13099c5b5496

Edited by ChrisR

Do you mean iso level 4 is not a good solution ?

No, I mean mkisofs -iso-level 4 solves the problem, since it can handle long names,

which might otherwise have been cut-off in the ISO directory.

Isobuster can give insight about this (ISO Joliet and Rock Ridge dirs vary in case and in cut-off lenght)

Check also influence of bootmgr versus BOOTMGR

-iso-level 4 will make and display uppercase in Windows Explorer (ISO)

-iso-level 3 will display lowercase in Windows Explorer (Joliet)

grub4dos is case sensitive

Edited by wimb

In Make_PE3 the ISO is made with mkisofs and:

mkisofs.exe -iso-level 4 -force-uppercase -volid "Win7PE_x86" -b boot/etfsboot.com -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 8 -hide boot.catalog -duplicates-once -o "%PEWork%\7pe_x86.iso" "%PEWork%\ISO"

Remarkable differences with your code for mkisofs:

-boot-load-size 8

-b boot/etfsboot.com

This is working OK to display Language at boot time using bootmgr.exe.mui

Edited by wimb